GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,110
2 members and 1,108 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Natalie0628

Anticipating Pref Night!

Hello everyone!
I am so glad I found this website - I am currently rushing at *a large public college in the ACC* and have had a whirlwind weekend.
I'm a sophomore and I live at home since my dad is really sick, so I help take care of his and my younger brother (Ha, I seem to have mentioned this about a million and one times this weekend). I don't know if I can post my school - how would I find out, or would I get in trouble? Perhaps its just best to wait until after Bid Day.

I'm a biology major, and have been busing my butt to do decently in school, even though *my school* is big on Engineering. Anyways, I really liked the first night, but was upset to see on Saturday, the day of house tours and such, that I was only invited back to 2 sororities (we have 7 on campus), while most of the other girls were invited back to anywhere from 3-5. Apparently, it's because of my grades - they cut anyone under the standard, even though I fall .05 points short of this . It didn't seem fair that some girls who have easier majors (I know this is debateable - but public speaking vs. quantitative chem? come on...) had inflated GPAs, and I wish they would've taken my major into consideration. This was not meant as attack on anyone else's major, it's just how I personally feel. I had a rough fall semester last year (dad had several major surgeries, boyfriend of a year and a half dumped me, dog died) so even though I failed one class and re-took it, my GPA is still screwed up because of it. I told girls this (mildly, when they asked about if I had any questions and I asked about GPAs and stuff), so it's not like they were unaware. Made me wish I would've rushed as a freshman with my 3.6 HS GPA, but I unfortunately missed the registration deadline last school year. Anyways, I was really upset and crying at first, but I made the best of it and really like the two houses that did invite me back.

Anyways, I'm sooo excited for pref night now, and I really hope I get invited back to my top choice. While one sorority has really nice girls, I can see myself being friends more with my top choice. I felt like the girls in my top choice really liked me too - I really connected with one girl on Saturday and she even dropped back by today (skit day) to say hi to me and see how things were. The only bad part of the day was accidentally spilling my drink on my new silk sundress - luckily it dried and didn't stain!! Hopefully they'll remember me for it.

I have a few questions for you all though:
1) How much time a week does pledging itself usually involve? I work part time, and I'm sure my boss won't be happy with my constant leave requests, but she'll have to deal.
2) Maybe someone can explain this. On Saturday, when I went to my top choice house, one girl was assigned to me specifically. However, when I went back today, one girl was assigned to another rushee AND me. Do you think this is because they didn't like me as much and wanted to focus on the other girls? Or maybe they wanted to get to know more girls better? One girl was paired with us at the door, talked to us a bit before and after the skit, and then we were talked to by two other sisters before we left. I'm a pretty big talker, and I was really interested in talking to the sisters, but I didn't want to feel like I was hogging the attention from the other girl. I still talked a lot though.
3) Before we went into each house, and before we met them on the first night, they made us leave our purses outside. Why do they make us do this? I heard two things - so they can't see what kind of purse you have, and that it's so they can't give you gifts or whatnot. I don't know why this would make a difference - so many other things like sunglasses, jeans, or jewelry could also denote things about you.
4) Let's say that my top choice doesn't give me a Bid on Wednesday, but that my second choice does. Do I still get the bid from choice #2 even though I listed my top choice as #1?

Sorry this is so long! I am sooo nervous, and will be until Tuesday night. Hopefully I can make it through 8 and a half hours of work tomorrow and two tests on Tuesday!!

Last edited by Natalie0628; 09-17-2006 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Spelling. And more questions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Hello everyone!
I am so glad I found this website - I am currently rushing at *a large public college in the ACC* and have had a whirlwind weekend.
I'm a sophomore and I live at home (about 30-40 minutes away from school, depending on traffic) since my dad is really sick, so I help take care of his and my younger brother (Ha, I seem to have mentioned this about a million and one times this weekend). I don't know if I can post my school - how would I find out, or would I get in trouble?

I would omit the name of the school (as you have already done!)

I'm a biology major, and have been busing my butt to do decently in school, even though *my school* is big on Engineering and Agriculture. Anyways, I really liked the first night, but was upset to see on Saturday, the day of house tours and such, that I was only invited back to 2 sororities (we have 7 on campus), while most of the other girls were invited back to anywhere from 3-5. Apparently, it's because of my grades - they cut anyone under the standard, even though I fall .05 points short of this . It didn't seem fair that some girls who have easier majors (I know this is debateable - but public speaking vs. quantitative chem? come on) had inflated GPAs, and I wish they would've taken my major into consideration. Anyways, I was really upset and crying at first, but I made the best of it and really like the two houses that did invite me back.

Academic standards are important & vary from campus to campus...sorority to sorority. Similarly, you would be judged by standards for entrance into graduate school or perhaps a job.

Anyways, I'm sooo excited for pref night now, and I really hope I get invited back to my top choice. While one sorority has nice girls, I can see myself being friends more with my top choice. I felt like the girls in my top choice really liked me too - I really connected with one girl on Saturday and she even dropped back by today (skit day) to say hi to me and see how things were. The only bad part of the day was accidentally spilling my drink on my new silk sundress - luckily it dried and didn't stain!! Hopefully they'll remember me for it.

It's great news that you like the 2 you went back to -- good luck & keep us posted!

I have a few questions for you all though:
1) How much time a week does pledging itself usually involve? I work part time, and I'm sure my boss won't be happy with my constant leave requests, but she'll have to deal.

If I were you, I would be concerned about the time requirements and the distance from your home. Ask the women in the chapters these questions.

2) Maybe someone can explain this. On Saturday, when I went to my top choice house, one girl was assigned to me specifically. However, when I went back today, one girl was assigned to another rushee AND me. Do you think this is because they didn't like me as much and wanted to focus on the other girls? Or maybe they wanted to get to know more girls better? One girl was paired with us at the door, talked to us a bit before and after the skit, and then we were talked to by two other sisters before we left. I'm a pretty big talker, and I was really interested in talking to the sisters, but I didn't want to feel like I was hogging the attention from the other girl. I still talked a lot though.

Don't read too much into not being able to have a one-on-one conversation at every house. Sounds like you handled it well. Sometimes it makes the conversation easier!

3) Before we went into each house, and before we met them on the first night, they made us leave our purses outside. Why do they make us do this? I heard two things - so they can't see what kind of purse you have, and that it's so they can't give you gifts or whatnot. I don't know why this would make a difference - so many other things like sunglasses, jeans, or jewelry could also denote things about you.

It's probably a practical reason -- keeping your hands free, no cell phone ringers, etc. Ask one of the Panhellenic reps.

Sorry this is so long! I am sooo nervous, and will be until Tuesday night. Hopefully I can make it through 8 and a half hours of work tomorrow and two tests on Tuesday!!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Another ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie0628 View Post
4) Let's say that my top choice doesn't give me a Bid on Wednesday, but that my second choice does. Do I still get the bid from choice #2 even though I listed my top choice as #1?
If you attend two pref parties and sign your Bid Card with two choices, #1 and #2...

If you don't match with your #1 choice, but you do match with your #2...

You will get a bid from your #2 choice (they will not know you had them #2).
Old 09-17-2006, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
First of all, welcome and best of luck to you for continued rush success! You have a great attitude.

Yes, pledging does take time. I don't know exactly what the fraternity education requirements would be, but I would plan for at least a weekly meeting with the chapter and your pledge class, study table, socials and mixers, chapter dinners, etc. You are at an advantage since you have been in college, with a very difficult major, so obviously you know how to study.

I hope your dad's health continues to improve.

Keep us updated. And, you don't have to feel compelled to say what school you are at or what chapters you are rushing until you are done, if you choose.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax

there are required new member meetings that should take place on the same night every week. find out what night and ask you manager to schedule around that for the semester. there will probably be a few other required events, including many the week leading up to initation. however you should be able to have adequate notice about this and make arrangements accordingly

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

If you do not get a bid from your top choice but #2 does give you one and you decline, you can't accept onei from anyone else until next year. So be sure you would take one from both groups if you list both.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FAUNikki
As long as you do not accept the bid to another sorority you can accept a bid at any time. The only time that one year rule applies is if you accept a bid and then drop out before initiating.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how it works at other schools, but at mine, filling out your preference/bid card, signing it and turning it in counts as accepting a bid. There was nothing to sign after you got your bid. Pretty new Greek system (celebrating 10 years this year) with no-frills, release figures, etc. from the start, so I'm guessing this is the way NPC wants it done now...but I could be wrong.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Another thing - Panhellenic and/or recruitment counselors should be explaining all of this, very clearly, to the PNMs when they're in that room at the end, filling out their bid cards. If you maximize your choices on your card - say 1,2,3 - get your #3 choice, then decide to drop, you will not be eligible to accept membership in any NPC organization for one year.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Natalie, I sent you a PM!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUNikki View Post
As long as you do not accept the bid to another sorority you can accept a bid at any time. The only time that one year rule applies is if you accept a bid and then drop out before initiating.
This is incorrect. If you sign you Bid Acceptance Card (aka Pref Card) and do not accept the bid offered to you, you are ineligible for membership for one calendar year.

If you accept a bid, then leave the chapter before initiation, you are also ineligible for membership in another chapter for one calendar year.

If you accept a bid, then have to transfer schools before initiation, you are immediately eligible to pursue membership.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Natalie0628

Well, I'm really excited about tomorrow night. I just have to get through an African Lit and a Botany test first...
Anyways, when I was walking back to my car after an event the other day, these two girls were walking behind me and talking. One was all "Oh, I hated XYZ, the girls there were soo ugly looking and they're all really tall, blah blah blah, etc." This ticked me off soooo much, so I turned about and gave them this hideous glare and was just like "It is people like you who give this system a bad name. If you're going to be in a sorority, at least be like the lady you should be and stop being rude". They both looked kind of dumbfounded, and I'm sure immeadiately started talking about me as soon as I was more than 10 feet away, which I don't care about, but it really just ticked me off. I don't know who they are, or anything, it just still resonates with me....it really pisses me off that they'd be so rude. Except for them, I did not meet one snobby or rude girl all weekend.
Anyways, I can't wait to hop into my new stuart weitzman heels for tomorrow . Sorry, they were such a steal at $70 I just had to name drop.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-19-2006, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie0628 View Post
Anyways, when I was walking back to my car after an event the other day, these two girls were walking behind me and talking. One was all "Oh, I hated XYZ, the girls there were soo ugly looking and they're all really tall, blah blah blah, etc." This ticked me off soooo much, so I turned about and gave them this hideous glare and was just like "It is people like you who give this system a bad name. If you're going to be in a sorority, at least be like the lady you should be and stop being rude". They both looked kind of dumbfounded, and I'm sure immeadiately started talking about me as soon as I was more than 10 feet away, which I don't care about, but it really just ticked me off. I don't know who they are, or anything, it just still resonates with me....it really pisses me off that they'd be so rude.
Good for you! It's so unfortunate when people have attitudes like those two girls.

Good luck tonight!