GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,522
1 members and 1,521 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin

When I got my Rolla letter I was kind of excited because they gave me a full ride, which just boggled me. I was like "ME? I'm smart enough?" I had interviewed with their Dean of Engineering and I guess he loved me.

As for the other school, well, I don't want to talk about it.
Dude, you should have gone to Rolla damnit, we could hang out!

As for me, I applied to two schools in Texas since my dad lived there at the time and wanted me to go to TCU since he lived like right down the street. I applied to a school in Iowa as my safety school, and then my mom MADE me apply to the Nebraska school's but I refused to go even if they paid me. Then I applied to Mizzou as my first choice b/c I was real big into journalism in high school, it was my life and I really thought that was what I wanted to do forever. Mizzou had also been my dad's first choice school but he couldn't afford to go.

I honestly didn't think I would get in ANYWHERE, I felt like a phony for applying b/c I was so scared that I didn't know enough about anything to be ready to go to college.

I heard back from my Iowa school first and I cried so much when I read the letter b/c it finally hit me that even if it wasn't my first choice, I was actually going to college.

I got acceptance letters to every other place I applied, except Texas A & M and I really didn't care b/c that was just about the LAST place on earth that I wanted to go. My Mizzou letter was last to come and my mom opened it and started screaming for me over the intercom system in our house. It was a fantastic day!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Ever since I was in elementary school, I wanted to go to Auburn. I even made an Auburn pennant in sixth grade math class (learning about triangles). So in my junior year of high school, I started looking at colleges. I wasn't sure I wanted to go too far away from home, so I looked at my dad's alma mater, Berry College, about 40 minutes from home. While I loved the campus, the student population was smaller than my high school and that wouldn't do.

So the summer before my senior year, I went visiting 2 colleges: Western Carolina University, and Auburn. Western Carolina was a nice campus, but it just didn't feel like "the one". So then we went to Auburn. The moment Samford Hall came into view, I knew this is where I belonged. When we were on top of Haley Center, the highest building on campus, it had to be close to 100 degrees. I leaned over to my mom and said "this is where I'm going". She said I still needed to look around instate (because of tuition and the HOPE scholarship) but my mind was made up.

After the tour, we visited an admissions counselor. I had my transcript with me and my SAT/ACT scores. I sat in front of him. He looked at my stuff and looked at me and said "Do you know what I like best about my job?" I said no, and he said "When I can look at the student right in front of me and say, Congratulations, you've been accepted"! I was thrilled!!! I got the official letter in the mail a week later
Old 04-16-2004, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

In February of 2000, I was going to a dance competition at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa. My dad took me over there a day early to visit USF. I had applied, but hadn't received anything back from them yet. I went on the tour, and LOVED it. After the tour, my dad and I went back to the admissions office. He asked if they had any idea when letters would be sent out. The lady said, well, let me check and see if your file is complete. (I had sent it in like 2 months ago). She asks for my name and soc. and stuff. She types some stuff in, and then looks up and says "Congratulations, you've been admitted into the University of South Florida!" I started jumping up and down screaming, right in the middle of the office. Then I promptly went to the bookstore to buy my very first USF shirt, which I wore to meet my team at our hotel room. They take one look at me getting out of the car, and my best friend goes "Shae got into college!"

(I also got into UF, but I didn't like the campus, and the University of Miami, but my parents said it was too expensive. It was my dream school, and I got on the waiting list for law school, so maybe I'll end up there in the long run!)
Old 04-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Cool, I got accepted. That was it. It was a little let down because the size of the letters tell you if you got in or not. Not like in the movie where all the letters were the same size, so there was going to be drama.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Well I just go to Arkansas State...GREAT school with a fabulous music department, but it's not like they'll turn you down when you apply.

Although I hope to have that moment when I apply to grad schools, especially since I'm aiming high!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I'm still waiting for the Clown College to let me in.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
The college of my dreams wasn't the college of my dreams back then. In fact, I didn't even want to apply at first! Growing up, I was all about the University of Illinois. Everyone in my family, and I do mean EVERYONE, went there. I would have been the first member of the third generation to go. When the time came to start looking at schools, I was going to a private college counselor who introduced me to several schools I wouldn't have looked at otherwise, mostly private schools. My dad then said if I was going to apply to out-of-state private schools, I should apply to out-of-state public schools too. Anyhow, I ended up applying to 8 schools: Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, American (in DC), Tulane, Oberlin, Washington University (in St. Louis), and University of Pennsylvania. (That was my reach, just-to-see-if-I-could-get-into-the-Ivy-League school) I applied enthusiastically to six of them and only applied to Indiana and Wisconsin because my dad wanted me to apply to public schools out of state. I had no intention of going to either one.

IU was the first place I got accepted to. I remember I got the envelope and thought "Okay, cool, at least I got in somewhere." That was it. No big deal, I wasn't going. I was more excited to hear from the other schools. My first choice was Tulane, followed by American and Illinois. I visited Tulane and loved it, but they decided I was too rich to qualify for financial aid. (yeah, right!) So there went that. American did offer me a pretty nice scholarship, but even with that it would have been fairly expensive.

My dad is a high school golf coach, and every year he went to the Indiana Invitational women's golf tournament because several of his former golfers played in it. That year, the tournament just happened to coincide with IU's Red Carpet Days for admitted students...therefore, I went down to IU with him for that, not entirely happily. Well. As soon as I got down to campus, I immediately knew I was where I belonged. I was on the tour planning where I was going to live, how I'd get from place to place, etc. TOTALLY took me by surprise. The rest is history.

All in all, I got into all the schools I applied to except for University of Pennsylvania. But that was the last school I heard from so I wasn't too disappointed.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My choices were really narrowed down for me when I applied nearly twenty years ago: architecture program, and my parent's decreed that it must be public and within a day's drive of St. Louis; and of course, one I could realistically have a chance of getting into! At my high school's college night the recruiter told me as an in-state student I had no chance of getting into U of I unless I tried to transfer in from the Ag School ! So I wound up looking at Ball State, Arkansas (Fayetteville), Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, Kansas and Kansas State. In the end I wound up applying only to Ball State and Arkansas, as those were the two I liked the best. I knew I was already accepted for admission to both schools, but had to wait for admission to the school of architecture.
In high school I worked at the local catholic hospital, and my supervisor, Sister Wenceslaus (this funny, German nun) would let me call on break to see if my acceptance came in the mail. Both came in the mail the same week. I was practically bouncing off the walls! My decision to go to Ball State was mostly on the fact that I got a much bigger scholarship to go there, but I'm glad I did (even if I did get cut from the architecture school at the end of my third year), but the rest is history.

Last edited by BSUPhiSig'92; 01-20-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ambición6 Send a message via Yahoo to ambición6
Hmm, I applied to only four schools, all in Chicago - Northwestern Univ, University of Chicago, Loyola University Chicago, and DePaul. I got into all 4 and didnt really think I wouldn't (yeah, kinda smug of me) but I was valedictorian, 4.0GPA, and high SAT/ACT scores, and a minority. No, lets not get into the whole affirmative action discussion even though I think that factored into my acceptance, but I am consoled by the fact that I had the grades to back it up. I ended up going to Loyola, because I couldn't afford NWU, or U of C, but at least I got in. I still have the acceptance letters.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShaedyKD
In February of 2000, I was going to a dance competition at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa. My dad took me over there a day early to visit USF. I had applied, but hadn't received anything back from them yet. I went on the tour, and LOVED it. After the tour, my dad and I went back to the admissions office. He asked if they had any idea when letters would be sent out. The lady said, well, let me check and see if your file is complete. (I had sent it in like 2 months ago). She asks for my name and soc. and stuff. She types some stuff in, and then looks up and says "Congratulations, you've been admitted into the University of South Florida!" I started jumping up and down screaming, right in the middle of the office. Then I promptly went to the bookstore to buy my very first USF shirt, which I wore to meet my team at our hotel room. They take one look at me getting out of the car, and my best friend goes "Shae got into college!"

Awww, that is the CUTEST story ever!

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
ADPiZXalum

Well, it was in November of 1998. I was standing in line with my basketball team getting ready to run in/warm up at the first and one of hte biggest games of the season, against a cross town rival. I had heard back from all the other schools, but not Baylor. My dad comes walking up to me and I was like, what the crap, go away, we're about to go. My coach was kind of frowning at me and anyway, he says, "well, we got a letter from Baylor today." he was really kinda dissapointed looking, like I didn't get in, and he was sad. But then he said, "you got in." I started screaming and jumping up and down and anyway, it was soooooooo exciting!
Old 01-21-2005, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Well, I came home from school one afternoon in October 2001 and there was a letter from Auburn that said, "Congratulations!" in gold lettering on the envelope. I'd already gotten letters from Alabama and South Alabama, but those were my safeties, as I'd had my heart set on Auburn since the first time I set food on the Plains. My housing application and PACT plan info were in the mail the next day.

Came close to breaking my mom's heart*, but my dad was just as excited as I was. My mom's brother told me he was as proud of me as if I were his own kid (he's an AU alum). It was special.

*Mama's a born-and-bred Bama fan, as in when they came out to tell my grandad he had a little girl, Denny Chimes rang 3 o'clock. That was when DCH was closer to campus. Plus, Tuscaloosa's only half as far from home as Auburn is.

Last edited by bekibug; 08-05-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Med School Acceptance

As I posted in the Chit Chat forum, I got accepted to KU Med on Thursday.

Basically, getting into any medical school was my dream school. Only now that I've gotten into one, am I considering how much I like each school. It's still very possible that KU will be my only acceptance, but that's more than okay for me.

When I interviewed, they told us that our group of interviews would be reviewed before the end of the month, so I knew last week that I would be getting a letter either last week or this week. Considering the admissions committee meets on Wednesday, I figured they would write the letters on Thursday, send them Friday and I would get a letter on Monday or Tuesday. Well, monday and tuesday, there was absolutely nothing, I didn't anything, so I just kinda thought that I would be reviewed later. Wednesday, I didn't get anything, so I totally thought my name would be coming up that night. I wasn't worried, b/c there was nothing I could do.

Thursday, I get back from my Anatomy lab, and grab the mail from the M-N mailbox at Beta. I immediately see a Letter from KU...school of Law for another guy. That got my heart racing a little, but I thought that was going to be the only piece of mail from KU. Two letters later and there's one from the School of Medicine...of course that gets me excited. BAsically from everyone that I had talked to applying to KU, and what the Admissions Dean told us during the interview day, is that most people just get a letter saying, thank you, we can't at this time offer you admission, but you are still very much underconsideration, yada yada yada. Very few people get rejected right away, and some do get accepted right away. My grades aren't very good (compared to my MCAT scores) and I've been very nervous about getting in the whole time, so I totally expected the "wait listed" letter.

I start walking into the house and setting down my stuff in our formal living room. The letter is about half open, I yank it out, and see "Congratulations..." I didn't even get past the first sentance, before I had to do something. I looked around and realized there were a lot of guys around, and I couldn't yell, so I just gave a fist pump which one of my pledge brothers saw, asked about it. And I told him I just got accepted to KU. That was it. Then I spent the next two hours calling and e-mailing people, so much so that I completely missed The OC...but it was worth it.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiZXalum
he says, "well, we got a letter from Baylor today." he was really kinda dissapointed looking, like I didn't get in, and he was sad. But then he said, "you got in." I started screaming and jumping up and down and anyway, it was soooooooo exciting!

you allowed your parents to open your acceptance letters? if my parents went anywhere near mine without me doing that first, they know i would have kicked them, hard.

for me, i applied to four schools and i applied to Miami U early decision. So i knew right around Dec 15 that i got in. i liked knowing that early where i was going. although i actually didn't send my deposit accepting the spot in until hte last minute because i all of a sudden couldn't decide between there and my second choice school. although i'm definitely glad with the decision i made.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
ADPiZXalum

No, I didn't LET him open the letter, but I couldn't really stop him...