GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,308
1 members and 1,307 guests
No Members online

Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

U of Alabama Suspends All Fraternity "pledging" Activity

'Bama is suspending all fraternity "pledging" activity pending investigation of a number of alleged incidents.

See, for example:

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2012/1...y_privile.html

UA Greek Affairs Executive Director told the CW the following about the fall semester pledge period, according to a tweet: "The pledge program is over. It's not going to be brought back. It's done."

"The office of Greek Affairs will continue to investigate the allegations, refer to past events, and work with other universities to ensure that the future pledging is safe for all students and safe for all individuals involved," Davis also told the CW. "There's a new day at the University, a new president. We can't allow the things that have taken place in the past to continue."

The Greek Affairs office said UA Media Relations will release more information between 4-4:30 p.m. on Thursday.

See also

http://www.wafb.com/story/19856954/u...rnity-pledging
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/1985695...rnity-pledging
http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2012/1...y_privile.html

Last edited by exlurker; 10-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
UA's Assistant Dean of Students told the CW the following, according to another tweet: "No hell week is to take place, and I quote, if hell week takes place there will be hell to pay, from the Univ. of Ala.
I love this quote from the last article.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ No words being minced there!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Hm, at least one of the orgs listed doesn't even have a pledge period, officially.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
So Alabama/SEC experts, is this different in kind or degree from previous crackdowns? Is there any chance that the large old chapters will actually modify their pledge activities?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Leaked letters, responses, and omg loss of football game seating. The drama continues. ["If you have pearls, prepare to clutch them now."]

http://jezebel.com/5953199/after-all...ing-activities
Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I find this part of the original article interesting:

"The release also says that, during the last week, UA has received confidential and specific allegations via the school's hazing hotline involving Phi Gamma Delta, Chi Phi, Sigma Nu, Kappa Alpha Order, Kappa Sigma, Pi Kappa Phi and Zeta Beta Tau.

After investigating, Greek Affairs and Judicial Affairs have cleared Phi Gamma Delta, Sigma Nu, Kappa Alpha Order, Kappa Sigma, Pi Kappa Phi and Zeta Beta Tau."

So if those groups have been cleared, then why is everything halted for all fraternities? It also makes it seem like perhaps some of the calls to the hotline were not credible.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
There can be administrative reasons that a group would be cleared. If there's an anonymous tip, but then all the pledges insist nothing bad is happening, they'll probably drop the investigation.

In other words, "cleared" can mean "not guilty" as opposed to "innocent."

Yes, "cleared" certainly can mean "not caught." This time.

I honestly don't know how administration can eliminate all hazing. I don't understand why frats take the risk, or what purpose it serves -- or has EVER served.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

AGDee;I find this part of the original article interesting:

After investigating, Greek Affairs and Judicial Affairs have cleared Phi Gamma Delta, Sigma Nu, Kappa Alpha Order, Kappa Sigma, Pi Kappa Phi and Zeta Beta Tau."

So if those groups have been cleared, then why is everything halted for all fraternities? It also makes it seem like perhaps some of the calls to the hotline were not credible.

AGDEE, you maybe correct and I would agree with you that a few of these calls and allegations to the hotline were probably not true, especially when 6 fraternities were cleared of any or all hazing allegations. Sounds like someone or somebodies just want to paint a negative image on fraternities.

ZBT: "Brotherhood and Beyond."
Old 10-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

This has really got to be one of the most unprofessional tweets I've ever read. Was this accompanied by a memo to the houses? A discussion at IFC? Official announcements of this magnitude shouldn't be made over Twitter.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-20-2012, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama Hazing

I see sheer frustration in the tweet. I think the University of Alabama is improving on many different levels and the administration is simply not going to tolerate the old school SEC attitudes any longer.
I think a twitter release probably was not the best way to announce this but all the Fraternities are on notice. I don't doubt from the text of the tweet if any further serious allegations are found to be true that expulsions and chapter closings will take place.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
unprofessional tweets
LOL.

If Twwwitter ever wants to be taken seriously, they need to get less ridiculous terminology.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

While I agree that hazing is bad and should not be allowed, what I don't understand is why it is only wrong when done in college and high school. It's perfectly acceptable in our society for certain segments of the military, professional football, some NPHC groups, etc to haze. When we accept it in one area it's damned difficult to explain why it isn't in another.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Because it represents a huge "unfunded" liability for the university... The whole university system is facing huge economic uncertainty. When a pattern of behavior puts the college at risk (this includes both student safety as well as impacting federal dollars and other monies) then the university has an obligation to respond. It's not as if there haven't been some egregious incidents in the past. There's a drip, drip, drip of events which leave the impression that the GS is losing its way. It's not making kids do push-ups that's the problem. It's the under-age excessive drinking, drugging, promiscuity and date-rape as part of a pledging "rite-of-passage" that passes for normal behavior that's scaring parents and university administration throughout the country. It may not be every fraternity--but its hard for IFC to single-out one when they all have similar flaws to varying degrees.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

But it also represents one for MLB and the NFL. And to allow NPHC groups to brand and not allow "bows and toes" for IFC ones is a hard sell - to the undergrads and the insurance companies. You can't an 18 year old male that it's not OK in an IFC group because of "unfunded" liability and then tell him it's OK to be branded by an NPHC group. It makes no sense. The basic issue is that it is demeaning. And that's why it's wrong - not because it's going to cost big whoop dee do U a bag of cash,