GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,518
1 members and 1,517 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 03-17-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

A guilty confession from GeekyPenguin:

I have thrown up over stress/nerves many a time...it has gotten much better and I haven't done it since high school, but it happens.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-18-2003, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas-Gal
Before the season started, I had heard there were pledges, 6 of whom depledged... but MTV has only shown 11 pledges. I saw the other 2 "ghost pledges" in episode 2 - and put together some info about them here. Who are these guys - and why didn't MTV just acknowledge them??
I am LMAO at the shots of the missing pledges. I also expected to see sassquatch in the background. It is a mystery tho.

Now, I am sure I am gonna stir the pot with this one.... but here goes.

Do you think the pledges seem to be cannabalizing each other is because the brothers run such a borderline sketchy program, that blurrs the line on hazing?

My theory is this; members dotn exist in a vacuum. If there is a "corporate culture" of disrespect (which seems to be the case here) where memebrs arent allowed to carry on withtheir lives at soem level for an ext4ended period, and newbies seem to be disrespected, doesnt it seem logical that this runs downhill, and the newbies will bear the brunt of the stress (after all, it is directed at them) and take it out on each other?

Meaning, if your chapter exists in a culture of mutual respect, newbies wont be actign the way these kids seem to. Our undergraduate chapter was run on mutual respect, and we never had members, new or otherwise act liek these newbies and actives are to each other. I can understand, in theory, the "you have to proove to me" philosophy, but what, you treat soemone liek a dog, put them in situations where they are going to lie and then youre cool with them after a ceremony? Not a brotherhood I'd wanna be a part of.

I have always looked at it like we must be ready to accept our non-initiated members as brothers at any moment, because they were chosen to be members based on their values as individuals and what they had to offer the org, and what they could gain from it, not as a 'proving time.' Our ritual is amazing and moving, yes, but its a ceremony. I like to think our non-initiated members were chosen because they know and live our ritual, yet they havent even seen it. Its not a major revealing. Its something that men who are of character, posess.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Chi Omega has been suspended by UB for hazing violations.
Quote:
According to Dennis Black, vice president of Student Affairs, shortly after the airing of the show, letters and e-mails flooded the university, prompting the administration to look into the initiation rituals of the fraternity.

According to Black, Sigma Chi Omega will be suspended until an investigation into the alleged hazing is conducted. No charges have been filed against any of the members of the fraternity.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It doesn't sound like anybody at U Buffalo was actually watching the show, so it sounds like they must have gotten A LOT of emails and letters. I guess they finally had to pay attention.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:36 PM

HEL-FREAKING-LO - they haven't shown their initiation yet, if they mean "pledging practices" why don't they say so?? This is why people think initiation is a creepy scary thing when it's not.

Sorry to pick nits, but it really grinds my gears when people write articles on Greeks and keep screwing up the terminology and don't bother to try and get it right. Maybe they are not Greek, but I don't think that excuse sits when a journalist writes about any other subject (I don't think the novice sports reporter would get away with saying the football team got a home run).
Old 03-20-2003, 12:16 AM

Ya gotta wonder which fraternity will want MTV to help them lose their charter/recognition next season.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine that Sigma Chi Omega didn't KNOW this was going to happen. I mean, they were openly disobeying their university hazing policy on national television. I don't think they thought that they were just going to "get away with it." Therefore, they must not care too much that they will probably lose their charter. They must see some advantage to not being recognized to the university . . . therefore it's probably not a huge loss to them.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

If you look at the U Buffalo Greek Life web page, under something like "Message for Parents" or something like that, it lists a good half dozen or so chapters that are not recognized and they basically discourage membership in those chapters. Most are NIC/NPC. So it probably isn't too big a deal to them since they will be joining so many other organizations.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Blah in my opinion nothing ive seen so far is hazing, its all just pretty random, liked the vince lambardi line, line ups arent that bad, pushups (if actives are doing them too, which they were) cant be considered hazing, and umm thats about it so far, oh and the Rush interviews i think is a pretty neat idea cause it gives you a chance to give them a lil taste of pledging and hopefully get to the root of why they want to do it. Plus it cant be that intimidating its a light in a dark room, ohhh scarey..

As far as alumnai Ron, this is really similar to my local , every pledging process we have at least 15-30 alums show up to every night, because THEY CARE abou the program, about the actives, and about seeing other alums who show up. In my opinion its just strong alumnai support, and considering that Sigman Chi Omega is like 4 years old having strng alum support is definently needed. More power to alums who show up and hang out with the actives thats how it should be. At our house we have alums stopping by at all different days and times of day, just cause they were in the neighbor hood and wanted to say hi and such. Theres nothing wrong with having good relationships with your Alums and having a good Alumnai Support.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE

Alex Alex Alex*smh*

where do I begin? I have to say that I am glad we all finally got to meet the infamous Lindsey. She is cute, but I can tell that she loves drama and loves how he chases after her.

I can't believe that the frat brothers approved of him going out on a date with her. I think as a pledge, you need to have focus, and dang it if you can't focus for a few weeks during a pledge process to BOND with your brothers and learn your future fraternity history, then there is a problem IMO.

But I have to say that I was VERY proud of him for breaking up with Lindsey, that is the type of person that will bring you down in life, have you get an ulcer at an early age, he needed to cut her off and show that she can't walk all over him. My favorite part was

"I need to talk to you"
"So talk!"
"Not with the cameras"
"Well I can't get RID of them"

LOL.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Wait a second, you saw the episode last night??? All I got was MTV News coverage of Iraq.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
I know! I figured they would just show it next week. Details please...from anyone who saw it.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:44 AM

She's in Cali...that's why she saw it. For her Bush was speaking at 7:15 not 10:15. And MTV hasn't yet mastered the fact of different time zones apparently . Don't worry, it'll be on approximately 500 times this weekend.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
See Both Tonight!!

For those of us who live in the Eastern time zone the new Sorority Life epsiode is SUPPOSED to air at 5:30 PM while the new Fraternity Life episode is supposed to air at 6:30 PM. This of course depends on whether or not MTV is going to have war coverage.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 03-20-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by KuThetaChi
It's funny, and entertaining. I don't think it spreads a bad image of greeks, because number one it's MTV and most intelligent people realize it will be twisted due to that...
You'd be surprised how many "intellegent" people believe MTV is portraying a real image of fraternity and sorority life.

Last fall when I was trying to get girls to come out and rush, one of the girls in my class noticed I was wearing my letters and I asked her to come out to the info night to hear more about us, and she asked me if we were life sorority life. I had to try to explain that we were nothing like that, and she still wasn't convinced. We're at college people, MTV is trash.
So, supposedly intellegent people do believe MTV.