GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,279
2 members and 2,277 guests
flirt5721

Old 08-21-2010, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Got a DWI a few days ago should I still rush?

Well the day after I moved in I made the stupidest decision of my life and went to move my car to a different lot and got pulled over and blew a .1 on the breathalyzer and went to jail for the night. Anyhwho im probably looking at a few classes, some community service, and a drivers license suspension. I go to Arkansas and rush week starts the 9th I believe and I was wondering your opinions on if I should still rush or just wait till next semester?

thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

DWI/Rush

I practice criminal law in Texas,I've had this talk man with men going through rush who've picked up a DWI or a dope case. Take care of the DWI and make your grades first! If you have a drinking problem or your idea of fraternity life is to see if you can float the keg stay away. If you want to make friends and have a home base in college go for it. You and your parents know what is right for you. Do the right thing for the right reason

Best regards,

Glenn Adams
Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post
Well the day after I moved in I made the stupidest decision of my life and went to move my car to a different lot and got pulled over and blew a .1 on the breathalyzer and went to jail for the night. Anyhwho im probably looking at a few classes, some community service, and a drivers license suspension. I go to Arkansas and rush week starts the 9th I believe and I was wondering your opinions on if I should still rush or just wait till next semester?

thanks
You do not want to be a Spring.

If your parents are fine with it and the money is still there, do it. You may have to be a dd, so just trade with a pledge brother on some other cleaning duties or some such.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-21-2010, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

/lane swerve/

Do fraternities in general have rules (or mandatory admission to the fraternity) to those who have been convicted of any crime?

/lane swerve/

Old 08-21-2010, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Idk about that but I havent been convicted yet and I wont be convicted until after rush week so hopefully it wont be a problem. Anywho I spoke with my parents about it today and Im still going to rush but if I feel like its to hard to handle that, the dwi stuff, and school im gonna stop. Thanks for all the help
Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

I am glad that your DWI story was not as bad as I assumed it was. However, along the lines of what g41965 said, I must ask whether you are 21. It's great that others are addressing the fraternity component but if you are drinking underage, that's the only thing that matters. This lower-end DWI is a Godsend if you are drinking underage.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

yea im under 21
Old 08-21-2010, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Good idea

Nathan:

I'm glad you talked to your parents, Greek Life is fine but your priority needs to be making community supervision/probation and your grades, let your pledge trainer know you wil not violate IE no drinking, no taking things on a scavenger hunt, also no going to bars. Be the DD your pledge brothers will thank you.Trust me a motion to revoke sucks, don't think supervision won't know? I had a client who got an MIP at Arizona State got a motion to revoke in CollinCounty (suburbs of Dallas) and did three days as a sanction after school was out.

Best,

Glenn Adams
Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g41965 View Post
Nathan:

I'm glad you talked to your parents, Greek Life is fine but your priority needs to be making community supervision/probation and your grades, let your pledge trainer know you wil not violate IE no drinking, no taking things on a scavenger hunt, also no going to bars. Be the DD your pledge brothers will thank you.Trust me a motion to revoke sucks, don't think supervision won't know? I had a client who got an MIP at Arizona State got a motion to revoke in CollinCounty (suburbs of Dallas) and did three days as a sanction after school was out.

Best,

Glenn Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post

thanks
I'd a great suggestion, but he probably won't be able to drive anyone anywhere for a while.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
/lane swerve/

Do fraternities in general have rules (or mandatory admission to the fraternity) to those who have been convicted of any crime?

/lane swerve/
You mean, like regarding having them as pledges or...?

As long as it's something minor (DWI/posession) it usually wouldn't affect our acceptance of someone as a pledge.

But I don't know if there are any rules regarding it?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
You mean, like regarding having them as pledges or...?

As long as it's something minor (DWI/posession) it usually wouldn't affect our acceptance of someone as a pledge.

But I don't know if there are any rules regarding it?
A DWI is MINOR???????????????????????????????????????????????

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I dont mean to downplay what I did I know Im an idiot but it is a misdemeanor. And yea after im convicted I wont be driving anywhere for a while.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In the eyes of the law, yes.

As long as you don't crash, most people don't spend any significant time in jail, if any.

YMMV on whether this is a good thing or not.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
In the eyes of the law, yes.

As long as you don't crash, most people don't spend any significant time in jail, if any.

YMMV on whether this is a good thing or not.
I'm thinking about it along the lines of what would happen to me if I got pulled over. Minimum penalties in my state for first offense are up to one year in jail, license suspension for 6 months or more, and a hefty fine.

When I think of minor, I think moving traffic violation.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking about it along the lines of what would happen to me if I got pulled over. Minimum penalties in my state for first offense are up to one year in jail, license suspension for 6 months or more, and a hefty fine.

When I think of minor, I think moving traffic violation.
Well there are probably lots of people who get DUIs or busted for possession of what-have-you when they're younger and get it wiped from their record by the time they rush. The OP's main problem is that it JUST happened. It would be kind of whack to say he isn't allowed to rush/join when others who have done the same thing are.