GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,601
1 members and 2,600 guests
Tridentia

Old 01-29-2003, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool "That" Brother or sister

Theres an orgazinational behavioral theory I studied one time that says in groups, personalities often dont change, only the names and faces do. As an alum, I tend to beleive this. I have seen a lot of hisotory at my chapter and can see the same people in it, just different names and faces. Examples:

The player: The guy who always gets digits. Is a dog and you dont even wanna sit close to him, because you never know when his last shot of Cipro was.

The bookie: The guy you go to who will bet you on anything.

The competitor: Anything is a challenge and he hates to loose. Will make you re-play him in anything, (playstation to b-ball) till he wins.

The entrepanieur: The guy who is always out to make a buck, and usually does. On anything.

The raging alcoholic: The bro you steer clear of when hes hammered. Cause hes a dick.

The functional alcoholic: The bro who seems to study/work/think better with about 3 beers in him. The one kid you know who studies with a bud light in hand.

The emotional drunk: The brother who cries when he is hammered, will tell you how much he loves/hates you. or will disappear when hammered and the whole chapter has to go look for him.

The granola bar: The brother who owns nothing but sandals and camping gear and you know was born 25 years too late. He belongs in the 70's.

The grease monkey: Kid who always is gonna do soemthing to his car.

The pot head: Brother who is always stoned.

The love junkie: The brother who always has to be in a relatiosnhip.

The hick: Every chapter has one.

Adopt a dork: The goofy kid who got in because he had the 4.0, and ya'll managed to make him cool soemhow.

The dirty: The brother you think doesnt bathe nearly enough. Maybe they do, but they always look disheveled/greesy. And they dont own an iron.

The homeless kid: The brother who is a vagrant for all practical purposes. He sleeps wherever he puuts his head down, comes home about every 4 days for a change of underwear and clothes.

The professional: Kids been in the chapter 6 years. Wont ever graduate. Keeps changign majors to avoid the real world/student loans.

The hookup: The guy who knows everybody on campus and can get you anything. Even if your financial aid has been terminated, he can somehow make a call and get it resinstated. Kinda like Red in "The Shawshank Redemption"

MacGuiver: Could build a bomb out of a tampon and some hand lotion. Should your plane go down in the andees, this kid is at the top of your list for "must haves"

IT Director: Chapter technophile who has to have every tech gadget. Usually gets messed with by the other brothers. Often they hide his stylus on his palm pilot and watch him freak.

The movie star: The kid who parties like a rock star all the time and spends all his money on clothes, so he can look good going out.

I know yall have these personalities and others in ya'lls chapters. So pony up. I wanna hear the girls takes too.

Last edited by lifesaver; 01-29-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

that's a cool way of looking at it. I am taking organizational behavior this semester, but I guess we haven't got to that part yet
Old 01-29-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

That's hilarious, and so true!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:12 PM

Andy, that is so funny! And you hit the nail right on the head, too. When I've gone back and visited with my chapter, it felt like I was on the set of "Saved by the Bell: the New Class". Same people, but different names.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
I know that my sisters would say I was 'the movie star'
I'm always out doing something or going somewhere
I'm always in Banana Republic/Limited/Express buying clothes for work and they end up being worn to the club instead
Old 01-29-2003, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of those are present in my chapter, but not all...

What about???

The eternal crusher - always talking to girls, has no problem getting phone numbers or getting dates for parties, but never makes it past that final hurdle to find himself in a relationship (this would be me)

The corrupted kid - Came to college completely innocent and you and your pledge brothers corrupted him...now he's the biggest lush in your house, and has had more hookups than anyone else (after swearing in the first week freshman year that he wasn't going to have sex until marriage)

The tee-totaler (sp?) - aka the corrupted kid with will power - Same type of kid as the guy who was corrupted only had the power to just say no.

The unbelievable - Kid who studies like a Nobel winner sunday through wednesday to keep his 4.0 (in Chemistry or some other difficult science major) and then parties like a rock star thursday through saturday...not unusual to find him passed out anywhere in the house except for his own bed...amazes everyone continually with how much he drinks...will probably get psorosis of the liver as a senior.

The crazy SOB - The guy who seriously worries everyone b/c he does some of the craziest stuff...he's a risk managament issue in and of himself...does things that no one can understand, says thigns that no one else would ever say...
(In my chapter, the Crazy SOB is also the Unbelievable)
Old 01-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: "That" Brother or sister

Let me say this, they're all funny but my faves are (in no particular order):

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
IT Director: Chapter technophile who has to have every tech gadget. Usually gets messed with by the other brothers. Often they hide his stylus on his palm pilot and watch him freak

The emotional drunk: The brother who cries when he is hammered, will tell you how much he loves/hates you. or will disappear when hammered and the whole chapter has to go look for him.

The granola bar: The brother who owns nothing but sandals and camping gear and you know was born 25 years too late. He belongs in the 70's.

Adopt a dork: The goofy kid who got in because he had the 4.0, and ya'll managed to make him cool soemhow.

The professional: Kids been in the chapter 6 years. Wont ever graduate. Keeps changign majors to avoid the real world/student loans.
I believe that would be me..

These two deserve an award. The "I Was ROTFLMAO! award!!!

The hookup: The guy who knows everybody on campus and can get you anything. Even if your financial aid has been terminated, he can somehow make a call and get it resinstated. Kinda like Red in "The Shawshank Redemption"

MacGuiver: Could build a bomb out of a tampon and some hand lotion. Should your plane go down in the andees, this kid is at the top of your list for "must haves"

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 01-30-2003 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to D_Chi_Zinni
there needs to be like a chameleon or something, cause i would be that.

I definately have the rockstar thing, but sometimes im the lush, I get good grades, and I am teh hookup guy at times too
Old 01-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lifesaver
[B]The player: The guy who always gets digits. Is a dog and you dont even wanna sit close to him, because you never know when his last shot of Cipro was.

Plenty of those

Most of the "jocks" in my chapter

The competitor: Anything is a challenge and he hates to loose. Will make you re-play him in anything, (playstation to b-ball) till he wins.

Again, most of the jocks

The entrepanieur: The guy who is always out to make a buck, and usually does. On anything.

Bout 25% of the chapter

The raging alcoholic: The bro you steer clear of when hes hammered. Cause hes a dick.

Strangely enough, only 4 or 5

The functional alcoholic: The bro who seems to study/work/think better with about 3 beers in him. The one kid you know who studies with a bud light in hand.

None that I know of

Prob. me. Especially the dissapearing one.

Damn,

Uhm, We don;t have those.

And there will always be world war III. And it always happen for some reason in my apartment, and the people fighting does not live there. Bring back memories

Got those

The dirty: The brother you think doesnt bathe nearly enough. Maybe they do, but they always look disheveled/greesy. And they dont own an iron.

none in my chapter

The homeless kid: The brother who is a vagrant for all practical purposes. He sleeps wherever he puuts his head down, comes home about every 4 days for a change of underwear and clothes.

Yup

yup

That's me and another brother. You need to get out of your residential contract, talk to me or another brother and not only will u get out, you also get your deposit back.

Yup

IT Director: Chapter technophile who has to have every tech gadget. Usually gets messed with by the other brothers. Often they hide his stylus on his palm pilot and watch him freak.

Yup

The movie star: The kid who parties like a rock star all the time and spends all his money on clothes, so he can look good going out.

Pretty much most of the chapter 'cept for the hippie section.

What bout the recently back to civilian brothers who always argue which one is better, between the navy, marine, army and air force. With the Navy guy saying to the marine guy, does't it suck your highest rank officer have to report to our highest rank officer? And the Marine calling everybody a wuz for not going marine.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lifesaver
[B]The player: The guy who always gets digits. Is a dog and you dont even wanna sit close to him, because you never know when his last shot of Cipro was.

Plenty of those

Most of the "jocks" in my chapter

Again, most of the jocks

Bout 25% of the chapter

Strangely enough, only 4 or 5

None that I know of

Prob. me. Especially the dissapearing one.

Damn,

Uhm, We don;t have those.

And there will always be world war III. And it always happen for some reason in my apartment, and the people fighting does not live there. Bring back memories

Got those

none in my chapter

Yup

yup

That's me and another brother. You need to get out of your residential contract, talk to me or another brother and not only will u get out, you also get your deposit back.

Yup

Yup

Pretty much most of the chapter 'cept for the hippie section.

What bout the recently back to civilian brothers who always argue which one is better, between the navy, marine, army and air force. With the Navy guy saying to the marine guy, does't it suck your highest rank officer have to report to our highest rank officer? And the Marine calling everybody a wuz for not going marine.

Also, the "you guys had it easy, if you were part of old school pledging, you won't last a minute." Older brothers.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Very good post...

I am the The hookup.

"The guy who knows everybody on campus and can get you anything. Even if your financial aid has been terminated, he can somehow make a call and get it resinstated. Kinda like Red in "The Shawshank Redemption"

Actually, my roomate who is a brother, I got his financial aid back for him this semster.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: "That" Brother or sister

Quote:
Originally posted by Arya

hahhaha. We refer to our former servicemen as "The VFW Post" hahhaha. Forgot about them.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I recognize so many of those personalities from my chapter or from other sororities or fraternities. I don't think that I was any of these personalities. I was more of a social butterfly. I knew almost everyone and they knew me, but I was not a player or the hookup. I was the sister that people wanted to be stranded on a desert island with. I think it's because I would get the job done.

I always thought that The Breakfast Club had good stereotypes: the princess, the basketcase/outcast, the nerd, the jock, the criminal. We had a few of those, too.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 01-29-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shark In Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark In Skirt
I love this thread! I can definitely find some of those personalities in my sorority.

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MSSTCY1
TOOOOOO FUNNNNY!!!

This is an awesome thread!!

Good job lifesaver

I copied and pasted it into an email and sent it to all my sisters with their name next to "personality" they are most like!!

... although, I'm sure some will get me for it in the morning

Last edited by MSSTCY1; 01-31-2003 at 04:09 AM.