GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,324
1 members and 1,323 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Advice for new grad students?

I couldn't find a thread about this. Does anyone have any advice for new grad students?

This is only my first semester, so I don't know a ton, but I have couple good tips:

*If you're in a program with alot of reading, keep up with it!

*Go to professional association meetings for your program. It's a good way to meet people and network.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Get to know your fellow students, they will be a great support system for you as you all try to make it through the program.

If you haven't already been applying for grants, start now! There's a lot of money out there for people willing to put in the time doing applications and whatnot.

Get involved with student groups, but remember that your focus should be finishing your program. Grad school is a completely different bear from undergrad, and I found that I couldn't keep up with a bunch of different clubs like I did in undergrad.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Because I was also working full time during Grad School, I had no time for clubs, associations or networking outside of class.

Since so many projects require you to work in groups, be very careful who you choose to be your partners. Select a "project manager" to be the administrator and double check that mile-stones have been reached. Make sure all team members can keep the pace and carry their load.

Don't just keep up with the reading, stay ahead of it.

Don't procrastinate! If you know there is a big paper or presentation due at the end of the term, start it right away.

Get to know your professors. They can be a great asset to you in your present class and for future reference.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

just like undergrad, know your professors, especially if your program is small and you are more likely to have the same professor for different classes

ZΦB
Old 10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Do your library work EARLY for papers. You never know when you're going to need to request something through Inter-Library Loans (ILL), which can sometimes take weeks.

Never make excuses, for any reason. It's tacky. Even if you had an emergency the night before the paper was due, your professor will probably tell you that it should have been done a long time ago.

Be humble. You're there to learn from your professors. You're not the expert yet. Learn all you can from their wisdom and experience (and if they suck, then learn "how not to be," but keep it to yourself).

NEVER EVER speak negatively about your faculty to ANYONE. Most grad. programs are pretty small, and word will travel fast about what you said.

Don't flake out on group projects. Word will get around that you leech off of others, and no one will want to work with you in future courses.

Stay healthy. Nothing is worse than getting a major cold and having all this stuff due.

Make sure you make time at least one day a week to spend with friends, significant other, family, etc. just for fun. You'll go nuts if you don't set aside that time.

ETA: In some courses, it may be wise to divide up the reading. Sometimes that's all you can do to get through it all. If you participate in a reading group, make good notes for people and meet the deadlines your group sets.

Good luck!

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 10-05-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
- Definitely get to know your professors! They have so many connections that can help you further down the road, whether you are continuing your studies or trying to get a job post-graduation.

- Get to know the other people in your program, especially if you are moving away from home to attend graduate school. They can be a great support system.

- Try to gain as much practical or research experience as possible. What you need will vary based on what you are studying, but I tried to volunteer for anything that I could fit into my schedule. I knew it was all going to benefit me in the long run.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

If faculty members invite you to get-togethers at their homes, go. It's important to get to know faculty and fellow grad students on an informal level, and this is one of the best ways to do it (plus, there's usually a ton of free food there).

Get to know the department secretaries - they're often the most helpful people you'll deal with while in school, and if they like you, you're ahead of the game.

If you have a graduate assistantship, befriend the coordinator. You'll likely have an opportunity to voice your preferences regarding which class you want to teach. You probably won't always get your number one pick, but you probably won't be stuck with your last choice, either.

If you have extra time (mostly between semesters), ask faculty members if they're working on projects that you could assist with. I made a lot of good money (and even better references) by proof-reading books my profs had written.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
I have an odd question, semi-related to the topic.

Does one usually get an advisor for grad school? Does it matter if you are matriculated or not (I would imagine that it would matter, but just wondering)
I was not assigned one, however I was not matriculated at the time. I think that I would have been more successful had I had an advisor.
Can you ask for one?

sorry for the change in topic
Old 10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post

Does one usually get an advisor for grad school? Does it matter if you are matriculated or not (I would imagine that it would matter, but just wondering)
I was not assigned one, however I was not matriculated at the time. I think that I would have been more successful had I had an advisor.
Can you ask for one?

sorry for the change in topic
I did not have an advisor.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

One more for the road...

Don't worry about grades too much. I received my MBA 20 years ago, and I don't think anyone has ever asked me about my GPA.

Also, I have hired hundreds of people, and I never have paid much attention to GPA. But, I always asked if they worked during their Grad School days. I always looked at a candidate stronger if they were able to balance work and school at the same time, even if the job was just part time.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post

Does one usually get an advisor for grad school?
I was initally assigned an advisor for my MA program. I had the option to change once I narrowed down my research interests. Since I am working on my PhD at the same institution where I received my MA, I decided to keep the same advisor for both. He will be my dissertation chair when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
One more for the road...

Don't worry about grades too much. I received my MBA 20 years ago, and I don't think anyone has ever asked me about my GPA.

Also, I have hired hundreds of people, and I never have paid much attention to GPA. But, I always asked if they worked during their Grad School days. I always looked at a candidate stronger if they were able to balance work and school at the same time, even if the job was just part time.
I would say that this depends on what type of graduate program you are working on and what you want to do with your degree afterwards. For example, if you are working on a doctorate and hope to become a faculty member somewhere, most of the time they WILL look at the grades you earned in particular courses.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

i cannot stress involvement professional associations enough. even if you work full time and cant fit in meetings / activities in your schedule, see if you can join (pay the dues) and just participate on the listserv. You will get job leads, word about informal gatherings, early word about conferences / grants / travel support, and a direct line of communication to the leaders in your field.

also, if you have a grad assistantship - TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. i had no idea how "big" my boss was in the field. I'm glad i was on her good side.

Last edited by Still BLUTANG; 10-09-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Not every program does a "cohort" kind of thing with its students but you can establish professional and/or personal bonds with other students.

I agree with the professional associations thing but also make sure your department has some type of funding for memberships or conference. There's no point in grad students paying for everything if they don't have to.

Lastly, MODERATION!!! You won't learn and do everything in your first week or even first year. To avoid burning out, don't be too intense. Commit yourself to school but maintain nonschool outlets. Don't partake in the nonschool outlets too much, though.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as advisors, you will have many--they will be your "mentors". There are mentoring books out there as well as professional mentoring or coaching books out there.

Usually, professors that seem to support your endeavors will be your advisors and mentors.

As yes, you need an outlet. Please be strategic about it. Although you are in grad school for XYZ and you learn very particular material, it does not hurt to know somethings about a business plan or conceptual framework or writing proposals for areas outside your studied area.

For example I work in cardiovascular disease, but I also do alot of work with researchers who study breast cancer.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 PM

*If you are planning on continuing to a Ph. D program, keep your grades up.

*If there is a class in your program that you see as being potentially difficult, find out early who is teaching it and get some feedback from other students about the class, the instructor, and the work load.The more prepared you are for it, the better.

*This is a no brainer by this point in your academic career, but don't skip class if you can help it. There are some profs who admit that they don't care if you skip. On the other hand, there are some who will deduct as many as 20 points per every missed class (true story).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-16-2007 at 11:15 PM.