GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Cool Sites

Cool Sites Know of a unique, cool & useful website? Please tell us about it here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,461
2 members and 2,459 guests
TLLK

Old 11-04-2011, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

5 reasons you don't miss your 20's

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reason...n-theyre-over/

As I read through this, I actually felt bad for my 25 year old self. And then I sort of laughed at me.

I remember someone telling me that the only thing you do your first year on the job is learn how to work. And probably get over yourself. I look back on my first couple jobs and think how I could have been so much more successful at them, and then think - no I couldn't! I would have quit those jobs so fast it would have made your head spin, if I knew then what I know now. Or more likely I'd have gotten through them much better because I'd have considered them A JOB and not the focus of my life.

And I've always said guys change when they turn 30. In their 20's all they're after is getting laid. Once they get to 30, they suddenly notice the girl who is smart, funny, has an interesting job, etc. Since I was never the hot girl in the room, this was pretty apparent to me.

I could go on and on about how this article is EXACTLY me. But I won't.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I often say that I would love to go back to my earlier days, but with my older and wiser brain in my younger and more attractive body.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm still in my twenties, but I still long for my younger years haha

Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I can definitely relate to the not a kid/not an adult part. Even though I've been an "adult" longer then most people my age, I still get people that brush me off as an inexperienced kid. I have a 7 year old and a(n almost) 5 year old, which puts me in a different place in my life than most almost-30s. Given a chance though, I wouldn't change having my children young. It's made me a more determined and self confident person.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm on the earlier side of my mid-twenties and I think that this stage of life, like any stage of life, has pros and cons. The pros are that you are really coming into your own. I think the self-confidence of every single one of my friends has improved, if not skyrocketed, since our college years. There is no "cool" benchmark anymore, nerds are millionaires, and there is a niche for everybody. You also have a lot of life ahead of you and can afford to experiment with different fields and lifestyles. And while there is a lot more responsibility than college, it's not so much that you can't go out and party until 4:00 am on weekends...it's a nice balance.

What I can't stand is the pressure that getting established in your career entails. You really are looked down on for being new, and for good reason...you don't know what you're doing! I'm pretty much a type-A personality and a perfectionist, and so it kills me that there is still so much uncertainty in certain situations in my job. Also, I think that when you are doing successfully there is a bit of a condescending attitude from older peers. For many, your success is either "cute" or met with resentment ("how the hell is he doing that?"). However, I think it's incredibly rewarding when some older peers recognize your effort/work ethic and take their time to mentor you...that's an exciting and positive thing for me in this stage of life.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'm still in my twenties, but I still long for my younger years haha
Ditto. I'm turning 30 in a week and a half wouldn't mind going back to 25 myself (forever). This last year has been rough on my body... Hair loss, back pain/joint soreness, and mysteriously appearing love handles. So my question is, what exactly is there to look forward to ( other than erectile dysfunction) now that I'm entering my 30s and beyond?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I can tell you at least in my husband's and my cases (and we had VERY different childhoods and young adulthoods), we both thought this article was written with our own lives as the template. Living in it, you wouldn't think your 30's could be better than your 20's, but mine sure were! And except for the less than pleasant physical changes, my 40's have been the best so far.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I really don't relate with most of the article except for the music thing (#5) and I just turned 31. I seriously just posted that on facebook about how much the music sucks nowadays. Was it me getting older or did the music just really tank? I would like to think it tanked :P and not the other option.

I miss my twenties... especially 24/25. Just far along in your career to have enough money for everything but no real bills to pay or any other real responsibility.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Was it me getting older or did the music just really tank? I would like to think it tanked :P and not the other option.
We're probably just looking for something different in our old age

At 16, it's OK to hear I want to be in love, Because you fit me like a glove, You were sent from up above, Just like a pure white dove.... At 26, that's not going to cut it haha

Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We're probably just looking for something different in our old age

At 16, it's OK to hear [I]I want to be in love, Because you fit me like a glove, You were sent from up above, Just like a pure white dove...[/I]. At 26, that's not going to cut it haha
Dear Lord, what is the bolded from? I think I threw up a little when I read it.

As I'm almost 23, I still relate to most of this. Today's problem specifically is the stress section; three tests, a speech and a research paper all due either Monday or Tuesday. And no, none of my professors really care that much about it. Three even said the line "my class is the most important." at the beginning of the semester. Yeesh.

As for the rest:
Don't care about being cool (lost that sophomore year of college)
My family didn't really do the ego stroking and neither did ballet
Doesn't dating suck at just about any age?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Dear Lord, what is the bolded from? I think I threw up a little when I read it.
From the dark corners of my mind lol I think it accurately sums up pop lyrics, circa 1999

Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still in my 20s (28) for another year and a half.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Doesn't dating suck at just about any age?
Amen!

@~/~~~~
Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
From the dark corners of my mind lol I think it accurately sums up pop lyrics, circa 1999
Well, that was the fault of the year, not the fault of your 20s.

I didn't relate to this article at all.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

40's are FABULOUS!!! Know why? You just stop obsessing about what other people think of you. Either they like me for who I am or they don't & I move on. No big deal! No more wasting my time on make up or always looking perfect when I step out of the house. I don't give a flip about the latest trends, what color is "the new black". I care about what is important... family, friends, and for me, rescuing animals.

I am what I am and that's all that I am! (thank you, Popeye!)