GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,483
1 members and 1,482 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-23-2008, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I did get my top general surgery choice, though, I dropped out of surgery for a much more competitive field, Radiology, after two years of back breaking work. General surgery, even after the 80 hr work week limit started, requires residents to work extremely long hours (up to 120hrs some weeks of my residency) and does not guarantee as high a salary as fields that demand much less time.
Radiology is a excellent field. Many radiologists are retiring and there will be a need for more with more technology that comes on line--i.e. MRI/MRA and ultrasound with bubble contrasts, etc.

Thanks for you all taking the time out to explain the dermatology resident process...

Surgery is a sorely needed area, too the Cardiothoracic at my institution is BEGGING for fellows and are having trouble finding ones. But you already need to have your general surgery boards for that million hours per week and a super high malpractice insurance. But you do get paid a lot of money...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the longer explanations, GC doctors! My best friend from HS is a M3 right now and is considering surgery pretty heavily, so I like to know all about this stuff.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I heard that Radiology is a competitive field. Don't residents have to go through extra training couses, like rotating through other subspecialties in order to comply with the American Board of Radiology?
Yes...radiology is a competitive program, but I didn't go through the match for my spot. I got a spot after a resident decided not to come back after doing his internship in family medicine. Radiology is a 5 year program. The first year you do a rotating internship or general internship in medicine or family medicine. You can also do surgery for your internship (therefore, my two years of surgery counted for my internship.) The remaining four years are spent learning just radiology including all of the radiological subspecialties. The only extra courses we take are to study for our boards which are very intense. Unlike other specialties, we have a three part board examination which includes a Physics exam, Written exam and Oral exam. Many people take courses to study for Physics and oral exams. AFIP is a radiology/pathology course at Walter Reed in DC that most residents in the country attend (now a 4 week course, but was 6 weeks when I went) to prepare for the written boards.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my best friends is a third-year and she just told me she's deciding on OB/GYN! I am sooooo proud of her as a student and as my friend. She worked so hard for this and I can't wait to call her doctor!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Haven't posted in a while and I want to say...three more days until my last shelf EVER and I'll be a 4th year! Bring on the residency apps!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats! I have 9 days (and three more nights of call !yikes!) until my last shelf. We had a big meeting yesterday about Dean's letters, ERAS and the Match...sounds so much more intense than the AMCAS! At least this time I know that I'll be going somewhere for sure at this time next year. That 93% match rate is very comforting.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-18-2008, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to both of you! My best friend is taking her last shelf the same day I take the bar exam so we can celebrate together.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

5 weeks into 4th year! How's everyone else doing?

It's been pretty awesome so far. I'm currently in Arizona for a PICU month (yeah I know it's crazy to go to the desert in August) and I'm absolutely loving it. I really think that peds critical care is what I'm going to do with my life. The only caveat is that I've had a really, really great attending this week and I want to make sure that's not overly influencing my decision...but I don't it will be. I'm really focusing on the actual medicine part and the things we're actually doing and that's what I'm really enjoying...

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
5 weeks into 4th year! How's everyone else doing?

It's been pretty awesome so far. I'm currently in Arizona for a PICU month (yeah I know it's crazy to go to the desert in August) and I'm absolutely loving it. I really think that peds critical care is what I'm going to do with my life. The only caveat is that I've had a really, really great attending this week and I want to make sure that's not overly influencing my decision...but I don't it will be. I'm really focusing on the actual medicine part and the things we're actually doing and that's what I'm really enjoying...
Good for you with peds cc! I know you will make a wonderful physician in that area...

I am in hematology, medical genetics, specifically doing studies with Anemias and I absolutely hate it... The mouse models are loopy and the work is monotonous, and I have ennui...I should be excited because it is Sickle Cell Anemia, but I am not...

Take care of yourself.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! 4th year is going well so far. I've been pretty busy this month with my OB sub-I, and I love it! I've seen so many really cool things, and delivered one infant, so my total now is 4. Not that high, but I'll be doing this for THE REST OF MY LIFE!! haha. Next month I'm headed to Montana for a month on a reservation, which should be a pretty great experience. Hope all is well out there in school! ERAS apps open up September 1st, apply early and often!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

MS IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldengrl View Post
Is anyone else out there in medical school? I need to rant about this cruel punishment!
I am.... and nearly done!! I am applying to internal medicine. Haven't been on GC in a looooong time.....
Old 10-26-2008, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Good to see you back...it's tough having to deal with all this free time isn't it?

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
Good to see you back...it's tough having to deal with all this free time isn't it?
I'm studying for step II now... I will be happy when this is done and all my sub-I's are over.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOMichelle View Post
I'm studying for step II now... I will be happy when this is done and all my sub-I's are over.
I'm studying for Step 2 right now as well - CK on the 6th and CS on the 17th in LA. My year is pretty easy from here on out though - Student Run clinic this month, Peds ID in December, Vacation for January, Australia in Feb, Peds Pulm in March and Peds Private clinic in April.

How are interviews coming?

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

First interview down! I have like 9 to go or something... got my first rejection today too. Not sure what the rest of the year looks like yet... I have some last-minute scheduling to do!

I have CK on Nov 18th, and I haven't scheduled CS yet (lol).