GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,389
1 members and 2,388 guests
No Members online

Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Starting a Sorority..Diff than local, I think

Hello everyone! I am sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, but I just came here for some insight. I'm very interested in starting a sorority in my area, that would serve a need not yet met. I've tried researching for an organization which may already be in place and I can't find one in my immediate area, or even in neighboring states. I am not in college anymore and I am a member of an NPHC org already, which I adore. This org however, will serve a secondary, more professional purpose. How would I even begin?

I know that I can reach out to some of my BGLO family for insight, but I also know that starting a new chapter can be overwhelming, much less founding an ENTIRELY new org! I have a group of interested women, and I'm just wondering where to take off, I suppose. I've worked out the motto, colors, name, by laws and constitution, etc., but how do I make this thing real? Surely we must be deemed a 501 3c in order to collect dues (this is an assumption), in the name of the org, also what governing bodies are out there to assist us, because we wont be joining the NPC or NPHC. And I saw a few "suspect" councils being advertised online. I'd rather steer clear, thank ya very much

Well. Thanks for reading. I know my situation is a bit different from a local formation. It's pretty much a group of like minded gals, most out of college, that want to turn their group into an actual sorority.

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

PS...I do NOT have founderitis, lol!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyGal View Post
Hello everyone! that would serve a need not yet met. I've tried researching for an organization which may already be in place and I can't find one in my immediate area, or even in neighboring states. I am not in college anymore and I am a member of an NPHC org already, which I adore. This org however, will serve a secondary, more professional purpose.
What is the need not being met???
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this a professional (career-based) sorority?

An LGBT sorority?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

You're very unclear as to what the "need not being met" is.

You mentioned something about a more professional purpose... what do you mean by that?

Do you mean you want a professional sorority for say, nurses, or pre-law students, or business students? or some other major???

There are a ton of professional GLOs... do some research - start out by googling "Professional Fraternal Association" which is the umbrella group for many of the professional GLOs out there.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi again everyone.

I can TOTALLY assure you that this org is serving a need not met. It's primarily for women in interracial relationships. Is that racist? Not really, because it's also open to the women who support them. I can't really get into it much, but please trust that I'm not another wanna be founder who just wants to create something to have something to do.

Someone asked how my NPHC sisters feel about this. I've not yet shared this with any of them. Primarily because I've found myself somewhat dismayed at the sheer and utter disdain within my own org, for the work and importance of other orgs. I am not here to knock my org, and for that reason, I won't name it, but I'm saddened by the inter-racism, elitist attitutudes, and the notion that there "really are only TWO AA sororities that matter, you know", nonsense that I've had to deal with. It was shocking when I crossed, and even worse now that I'm an adult. There are some Sorors who are close to me, who I will eventually share this with, but for the most part, I'm steering clear of sharing this with the whole chapter. I do, thankfully, have women within my org that I can seek help from with this possible sorority formation.

Any further advice would be much appreciated!

-Thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure I understand how a sorority is the appropriate type of group for this "cause". Not sure if that is the right word to call it, maybe "platform"?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with kddani -- not everything HAS to be a fraternity/sorority. I'm sure that there are groups out there to support interracial couples.

If you do end up creating this organization, what else would your organization do? I'm not sure what kind of philanthropy or programming you could participate in.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyGal View Post
Hi again everyone.

I can TOTALLY assure you that this org is serving a need not met. It's primarily for women in interracial relationships. Is that racist? Not really, because it's also open to the women who support them. I can't really get into it much, but please trust that I'm not another wanna be founder who just wants to create something to have something to do.
What happens if a member breaks up with her boyfriend and starts dating a guy who's the same race? Does she get kicked out?

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU NEED A SORORITY FOR. Find a support group if your interracial thang is causing issues in your life.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

This is the most ridiculous concept for a sorority that I've ever heard.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Um... are you for real?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

And you want to start a sorority for this? It really doesn't make any sense to have a or organization for "interracial relationships." This sounds like more of a self-help group or yeah, just a self-help group, not a sorority need.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Yup, sounds like founderitis to me. Focus on making your own org better and being the change that you seek and start a support group instead of a sorority.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I've never really "gotten" GLOs based on who you do or don't date. To each their own on that, I suppose, but in your particular situation, already being a member of a social sorority, how would that work anyway? From what I've seen, others of these types of orgs (membership centered around who's kissing who) count as social GLOs rather than professional, etc. How would yours be different?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My own sorority only allows me to pledge loyalty to one sisterhood at a time. It does allow honor and professional glos. I know each org is different and mine is only local, but would your sisters ask you to resign your membership if you went and founded another glo ?