GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,222
0 members and 2,222 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Not Religious and Interested in Fraternity Recruitment

I apologize in advance for bringing up the topic, as I have read some posts that have been related to this topic but have still not received an answer to this question. I will be rushing next fall and am excited about Greek Life. I am attending a school that has a large Greek presence (over 50% rush). I already know that as a humanist/agnostic that I would not be welcomed at Kappa Sig and that Sigma Chi goes beyond asking an initiate to uphold Christian Ideals, but are there any other fraternities that require an oath to God (not just MY GOD (as in science or morality in general)? I have looked at all the national websites that are present on campus and seem to find conflicting information. On one hand I see non-discrimination policies, yet many reference God in mottos or creeds. Please understand that I don't in any way disrespect anothers' beliefs but feel it would be a waste of their time to rush them if there is no way I can, in good conscience be a member. In no way do I want to know initiation secrets, but rather, would I be able to take the oath at FIJI or Beta for example without lying, as I will not compromise on a lifetime commitment. I understand that regional differences may apply to whether or not I actually get a bid. Since we only have three days to rush I would concentrate on those places that would consider me eligible for membership based on my beliefs.

Sorry this post is so long. I apologize in advance if this thread causes religious debate (as the other threads did). though from lurking, it seems there is a lot of debate on here anyway, which makes for informative reading.