GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,429
2 members and 1,427 guests
naraht, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush Events: Things have changed a *lot* in 90 years...

From part of a sorority rush progressive dinner in the 1920s.
(includes racist language)

We traveled from New York to New Orleans, where we "et" in a darky cabin. Two "pickaninnies" served us with Southern ham, candied yams and corn pone, served on a kitchen table, covered with real old-fashioned red table-cloths, and lighted with kerosene lamps. After singing southern songs and enjoying a representation of a darky "shuffle", we collected our baggage and traveled...

Last edited by naraht; 07-30-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add a trigger warning
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not usually one to ask for trigger warnings, but I definitely could have used a bit of a heads up about the racist language lol. But it's important not to hide these parts of history so I support it being shared. With sources.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I am not usually one to ask for trigger warnings, but I definitely could have used a bit of a heads up about the racist language lol. But it's important not to hide these parts of history so I support it being shared. With sources.
Added a trigger warning (I think). I thought it was better *not* to include which current NPC sorority. and including the source would definitely indicate which sorority. (Note, the source is *absolutely* ironclad, coming from the sorority's national magazine)
Old 07-30-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Added a trigger warning (I think). I thought it was better *not* to include which current NPC sorority. and including the source would definitely indicate which sorority. (Note, the source is *absolutely* ironclad, coming from the sorority's national magazine)
We are completely aware that racist people were racist and far more common long ago.

What did you hope to achieve by posting that? I seriously do not understand what you could have been thinking.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
We are completely aware that racist people were racist and far more common long ago.

What did you hope to achieve by posting that? I seriously do not understand what you could have been thinking.
Why not though?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I feel that there was nothing wrong with posting this. The contrast between what was acceptable in a different time period and what is acceptable now is quite interesting. The words used to describe the event tell us about the attitudes and activities of the time period.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Eh, post the source. Let's be honest about the racist history of our orgs.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Eh, post the source. Let's be honest about the racist history of our orgs.
Indeed. I'm puzzled as to the motivation for posting this unless it was about naraht's own organization. Otherwise, it comes across as casting shade on an "unnamed organization" for something that was done by people who are likely dead today.

We know that there was discrimination (and still is to this day). So again, what is the point?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

APO has it's own troubled history with racism as well. A look at the Torch & Trefoil archives will show a photo of APO brothers in blackface in the 50s or so, as part of a jungle party theme or some such.

It's part of nearly all of our organization's history and just because it's in the past doesn't mean it doesn't get to be discussed in context.

What's interesting to me is not that it happened, but that such language was actually in the organization's national magazine. We often view racism as an impolite, behind-closed-doors activity, when in reality, racism is a structure. Racism is not cured by the people in power simply moving on. We've got to also dissect where we went wrong along the way.

There's not much spiritual or psychological distance between doing the darky shuffle 90 years ago and chanting "there will never be a nigger SAE" last year.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
What's interesting to me is not that it happened, but that such language was actually in the organization's national magazine. We often view racism as an impolite, behind-closed-doors activity, when in reality, racism is a structure. Racism is not cured by the people in power simply moving on. We've got to also dissect where we went wrong along the way.

There's not much spiritual or psychological distance between doing the darky shuffle 90 years ago and chanting "there will never be a nigger SAE" last year.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's discuss this being fully informed. I think posting the text without context and source is inappropriate. I am not certain what the text means, since the offensive words are all in quotes. Yes, many, many things have changed since the 1920s.

The Compass of Theta Phi Alpha

See Page 11
Old 07-31-2015, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
LOL, there is indeed a gratuitous use of quotes throughout those paragraphs.

That said, it's valuable to put this stuff out there and think about how it informs our organizations still today. Most of our (NPC) orgs have significant education/membership development components, and I'm not aware of a single one that addresses the issue of race in a meaningful way.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Let's discuss this being fully informed. I think posting the text without context and source is inappropriate. I am not certain what the text means, since the offensive words are all in quotes. Yes, many, many things have changed since the 1920s.

The Compass of Theta Phi Alpha

See Page 11
I thought that *not* identifying the group was preferable, but now that doesn't matter. My congratulations on your sleuthing ability.