GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,840
3 members and 1,837 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I've only seen Minnesota, Wisconsin and Northwestern. Sometime I'm going to have to make the trip down to Champaign and see Illinois's massive row for myself.
Northwestern is nice- it's kinda like a greek village built in 1900- all the houses are on university land, and all together, but old and pretty.
At Minnesota, most fraternities are together along University Avenue- and those are old, original houses that are beautiful and architecturally diverse. Then the sororities and a few other fraternities are clustered on a few blocks farther away from campus. Some of the houses are nicer than others, and they're not necessarily all together on one street.
Wisconsin is really nice. All (but 2) organizations are along Langdon Street, so fraternities and sororities are interspersed. The houses are fairly large (each hold at least 40+ people, I'd say) and most are old and of different styles as well. Also, a few of them have lake access or are directly on the lake, and I'm sooooo jealous of that.
One kind of sad thing about Wisconsin and Minnesota is, though, that when you've lived in the area for a while, you find out that other beautiful buildings in the greek neighborhoods were greek houses at one time, and many have been converted to apartments and/or not well-maintained. I'm sure this is common at many schools.

TEII
Old 04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Of the places I've been...

Indiana (for UIFI in 2004) - houses are every where, most very big and impressive. I didn't like the distance away from campus, but it's interesting how many chapters have gone through and built new houses to join the others on the outskirts. At the time the Beta chapter at IU was reorganizing, and there was talk about moving out of the old house which had a phenomenal location to build a new house, which a check of their website looks like they did.

Oklahoma - AMAZING houses. The Beta house there was awesome, great rooms (huge compared to those my chapter has). This is probably my #1 favorite "row"

Iowa State - okay greek row, nothing spectacular.

Kansas State - kind of spread out, some really impressive houses and some not so impressive ones.

Kansas - probably on par with those at Oklahoma. Lawrence's hills make for some very impressive locations and such - the Theta house is one that sticks out to me. Beta's house there is also pretty awesome, and the Kappa Sig (maybe it's PhiPsi - I don't remember exactly) house is just ginormous.

Nebraska - I think my alma mater does pretty well in comparison, we do have a pretty significant "row" (it's actually two streets making more of a 'T' on the Southwestern corner of campus). Certainly our locations on campus are great, but there's very little land, so the lots are small, everyone is right on top of each other and there's no room to expand. But again, UNL's city campus is pretty compact, so the locations are great and it's an easy walk to class, because you're RIGHT there.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Agreed. I LOVE OU & KU's houses.
The beta house at OU is phenominal. I think what I find most impressive for OU is the amount of land the chapters have. It's one of few campuses where they are able to build out as much as they want. The DTD, KE, Phi Delt, FIJI (wow!), EN, DDD houses in particular go out way more then they go up.

pics of the houses: http://studentlife.ou.edu/content/view/153/
Old 04-12-2008, 03:52 PM

I like the fraternity houses at Penn. The houses are old school brick and stone. THey don't really have a Greek row but most of the houses are on Locust Walk. It used to be Locust St but the city closed that section of the street about 40 years ago. Most of the houses are about 100 years old. Most of the houses are 3 stories with a commercial kitchen in the basement and a dumbwaiter to the first floor dining room. The second and third floors are bedrooms.

Pic of the Castle.
http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/maps...dg.php3?id=124
http://www.castlealumni.com/Default....ookieSupport=1

Last edited by madmax; 04-12-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
Agreed. I LOVE OU & KU's houses.
The beta house at OU is phenominal. I think what I find most impressive for OU is the amount of land the chapters have. It's one of few campuses where they are able to build out as much as they want. The DTD, KE, Phi Delt, FIJI (wow!), EN, DDD houses in particular go out way more then they go up.

pics of the houses: http://studentlife.ou.edu/content/view/153/
Theta house at OU is very nice.

SAE is kind of ugly, imo. Inside is extremely nice but the outside reeks of 1976.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post

SAE is kind of ugly, imo. Inside is extremely nice but the outside reeks of 1976.
I checked out the pics, and if that house doesn't say 70's, I don't know what does.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post

That SAE house looks like my elementary school! I've been trying to find a picture of the SAE house at PSU - it's the standard by which I always measured beautiful fraternity houses. The one at SMU looks pretty grand, though!

ETA: Found a side view:

Old 04-12-2008, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
^^^Here's another one, it's smaller, but it's in the daylight and the tree hasn't bloomed yet...
Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Indiana
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky SC View Post
I honestly don't know though how much of a good idea it is to be putting the houses in all brand new rows or villages...

I mean i don't know how it is at other universities adopting this idea, but at South Carolina the new village is a fantastic idea in theory and looks awesome with them all standing next to one another... BUT the university owns all of the land and monitors quite heavily about any kind of drinking on the ground levels. So pretty much no one goes all out decorating their houses for big parties.

If there is a party in a house its VERY low key, most fraternities just rent out bars here or venues to have parties in, other SEC schools i've been too got their houses messy and had hired security at their parties.

Its not necessarily a bad thing i just always imagined partying more in the house from i guess the stereotypes and images i had of fraternities before college... not to mention its WAY more expensive to rent out a bar.

Its almost like the houses are SO nice and big here at South Carolina that they are more like monuments that people just stay in and don't mess up, which is the exact opposite of the image each fraternity is actually representing lol, lets be honest here
I can understand why. They don't want their brand new houses, that they paid millions for, to be tore up like McBride was. And they probably don't want to do repairs on them after every school year either.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug13 View Post
I can understand why. They don't want their brand new houses, that they paid millions for, to be tore up like McBride was. And they probably don't want to do repairs on them after every school year either.
And yet Sigma Nu here (among others) who have likely far more expensive houses still party.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Southern Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanWoman View Post
I know I'm biased . . . but I have to agree. I always love driving down 28th street after a football game to check on "the row"
Okay - I KNOW I am biased .....but I just Love my alma mater's Row....especially this place!

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 04-13-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: becuz it took forever to get the link to work ... I am techno-challenged!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Just down Milledge....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
I'm particularly fond of 530 S. Milledge Ave...who doesn't LOVE the newly painted wedding cake house
This beauty

is just down the way from the beautiful AGD house (this photo below does not do it justice - it really is stunning!)

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 04-13-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug13 View Post
its not a matter of understanding why, it makes perfect sense from a liability issue for the university. What i'm saying is, that i feel like it takes away from the experience to a degree

Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
This beauty

is just down the way from the beautiful AGD house (this photo below does not do it justice - it really is stunning!)
The Alpha Gamma Delta house in this picture reminds me of the Alpha Gam chapter house at Illinois Wesleyan University (see link). While at Illinois State just down the street from WIU I attended some dances held at the Alpha Gam house. Good times.

http://www.agdxi.com/

ALPHASIGMAPHI
Est. Yale 1845