GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,566
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, maximujnra3388
» Online Users: 2,131
0 members and 2,131 guests
No Members online

Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

The Medical Thread

I did a search for a thread based on medicine and I didn't see anything similar to this thread. This thread is about anything related to the medical field, rather it be in veterinary medicine, to nursing, all the way to dentistry. Post here.

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 12-16-2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: oops. I needed to re-word it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allona View Post
Does anyone here have sickle-cell anemia? I've always wondered about how it feels (not physically, but psychologically). How does it feel to be sort of handicapped, but to know that some diseases don't really effect you as much as other people?
Ooops. Sorry. I had to edit my post because I worded it wrong. It's actually based on the medical field (like if you're in school), not if you have some kind of disease.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allona View Post
Does anyone here have sickle-cell anemia? I've always wondered about how it feels (not physically, but psychologically). How does it feel to be sort of handicapped, but to know that some diseases don't really effect you as much as other people?
I do not have sickle cell anemia. But I work with a sickle cell anemia outreach group. Typically, the psychological symptoms range from asymptomatic to migraine headaches. Some psychological work has been researched, but not nearly enough. There are neurological problems with sickle cell disease, not necessarily with the trait.

If you go to WebMD or to the National Institutes of Health with Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute it discusses what the "typical" symptoms can be.

Sickle cell is debilitating with it "flairs up" when there are episodes, it is generally not called a disability, such as limb or neurological disability, although the resulting symptoms are debilitating. Handicap is an inappropriate word to describe these symptoms.

The last part, I guess you are referring to "malaria" protection? Having sickle cell disease is not completely protective against malaria parasite infection. In fact, if a child does not develop hypertension with vascularopathy or vascularitis, they definitely have a high risk of leukemias and other cancers, as well as stroke and aneurysm. There is a increased risk of HIV infection if risky behaviors are practiced. The anti-HIV drugs only alleviate the opportunistic infections, but not the sickle cell anemia disease...

Sincerely,

Dr. AKA_Monet
GC Hospital Chief

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I did a search for a thread based on medicine and I didn't see anything similar to this thread. This thread is about anything related to the medical field, rather it be in veterinary medicine, to nursing, all the way to dentistry. Post here.
Directives? What do you want to know?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
Directives? What do you want to know?
Huh?

No, I was just looking to chat with members who are studying to be in a similar field such as my own. Kind of like a random thread, but about the medical field.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Huh?

No, I was just looking to chat with members who are studying to be in a similar field such as my own. Kind of like a random thread, but about the medical field.
So start it off... Folks will talk when the conversation starts...

Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

o.k. I'll start. I'm finishing up my 1st semester of vet school. I'm procrastinating right now, but I'm studying this book on general medicine, and Liver Disease. What's everyone else studying?

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 12-17-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I do not have sickle cell anemia. But I work with a sickle cell anemia outreach group. Typically, the psychological symptoms range from asymptomatic to migraine headaches. Some psychological work has been researched, but not nearly enough. There are neurological problems with sickle cell disease, not necessarily with the trait.

If you go to WebMD or to the National Institutes of Health with Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute it discusses what the "typical" symptoms can be.

Sickle cell is debilitating with it "flairs up" when there are episodes, it is generally not called a disability, such as limb or neurological disability, although the resulting symptoms are debilitating. Handicap is an inappropriate word to describe these symptoms.

The last part, I guess you are referring to "malaria" protection? Having sickle cell disease is not completely protective against malaria parasite infection. In fact, if a child does not develop hypertension with vascularopathy or vascularitis, they definitely have a high risk of leukemias and other cancers, as well as stroke and aneurysm. There is a increased risk of HIV infection if risky behaviors are practiced. The anti-HIV drugs only alleviate the opportunistic infections, but not the sickle cell anemia disease...

Sincerely,

Dr. AKA_Monet
GC Hospital Chief
lol lol lol OMG! I think you just scared the crap out of Allona. I highly doubt she knows what any this means.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Cheerful, that's awesome! I've been an emergency vet tech for a couple of years now and one of our own just got into Ross for next year so she's super excited of course! We have another one of our techs that is at Ross now and should be doing her externship now and about to graduate. Very exciting career right now for sure (and I know where I work now we're looking for emergency vets so finding a job shouldn't be hard). Good luck!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Third year med student here. I don't have a lot of classes right now, but I'm still kept pretty busy working at the hospital and studying for shelf exams. Good luck to everyone out there this semester!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

What is a shelf exam?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

oops sorry! A shelf exam is a test that is given at the end of each clinical rotation. For example, if I'm working at the hospital on a Pediatrics rotation, at the end of the 6 weeks there will be a Pediatrics shelf exam that I will have to pass.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
o.k. I'll start. I'm finishing up my 1st semester of vet school. I'm procrastinating right now, but I'm studying this book on general medicine, and Liver Disease. What's everyone else studying?
Wasn't it you who I mentioned going into practice for exotic animals?? It's a pretty lucrative business because they are hard to find--at least in NC anyway. I drive an hour and a half to have my girls seen by an exotic animal vet and the only one in the state. He sure has cornered the market.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Wasn't it you who I mentioned going into practice for exotic animals?? It's a pretty lucrative business because they are hard to find--at least in NC anyway. I drive an hour and a half to have my girls seen by an exotic animal vet and the only one in the state. He sure has cornered the market.
Yeah, I think we did have a chat about that, and I'm sure it is a lucrative business to get into. I'm still in my 1st year, but after I'm done with my clinical rotations, I want to start making money. I actually thought about going into specialty education, but then I would have to go through a residency program, which is another 4 years depending on what kind of specialty I would want to get into. (and another 4 years of being poor) I love exotic animals, but I think I would rather just stick to becoming a general DVM.

ETA: Allona you're really annoying.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
Good luck!
Oh dear God do I need it...bad. Thanks.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!