GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,161
3 members and 1,158 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 06-19-2001, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Post KKG Mixer Policy

I decided to move this discussion to a new thread, because I didn't want the other one to veer off topic too much To those of you just tuning in, this thread is an extrapolation of the "If YOU were in charge" thread

Kristen --

The issue isn't about third party vendors per se. We have the good luck of being near a lot of bars which don't charge too much. The problem stems from the frats, actually.

Imagine you are in Fraternity ABC. You want to have a mixer with a sorority. Let's say you have a campus with two panhel sororities -- KKG and XYZ.

You think the KKG's are really cool. But, in order to mix with them you have to do it at a third party vendor, because ABC is not a dry house and that is the KKG rule. Now, the idea of a mixer at a third party vendor probably won't sound appealing. The under 21 brothers will have major problems getting alcohol, plus there is the cost.

However, XYZ doesn't have the rule. If you want to mix with XYZ, all they have to do is come on over. Alcohol is obtained much more easily, and the costs are lower.

When it comes down to choosing whom to mix with, XYZ is going to beat out KKG.

This is the problem on my campus. KKG and other groups with similar rules are being passed over in favor of groups like XYZ. And as long as groups like XYZ exist, the playing field will not be level, and as I said in the other thread this disparity will be reflected in rush numbers.

Anyway, feel free to discuss at will -- just felt like giving this discussion its own thread
Old 06-19-2001, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello!
I totally agree with you. It must be hard. At Babson, it is just tough to get a mixer going because the Fraternities want to have these huge raging parties, but it is against our rules, but they won't budge on trying to make it a non-alcoholic event, so the mixer just doesn't happen. People are too lazy to find a third party vendor, and it also is expensive. So, we end up not even having mixers because it is too difficult to plan one. This is a great topic!
Loyally,
Katie
Old 06-19-2001, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope that you guys don't mind me nosing in...

Alpha Xi Delta is one of the other two groups to have the same policy and I believe the other is Delta Gamma (but I could be entirely mistaken.)

At the University of Texas the Panhellenic voted on a new rule that says that no NPC group can co-sponsor an event at a fraternity house if the function includes alcohol.

It's a slight twist on the national policy that our groups have to follow but at least it means that all NPC/IFC mixers have to be 3rd party.

A lot of NPC groups have adopted a rule similar to ours that substitutes the word "function" for "facility".

The way that one of our NPC delegates described the rationale for us using "facility" was because we wanted to support all of the men's groups that have adopted alcohol free initiatives.

If your alcohol policy has been a problem for your chapter it might be worth taking a proposal to your next panhellenic meeting for a vote. Encourage all of the delegates to contact their National NPC Delegates for advice in voting and I will guarantee that most of the groups will end up voting YES.

It's helped us - maybe it will help you as well.
Old 06-20-2001, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the input, AlphaXiGirl--

Kappagirl00 (now BlueandBlue), do you think AlphaXiGirl's suggestion would work for your campus?

It sounds like an interesting proposition--any chance your Panhellenic would pass it?

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!