GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,391
0 members and 1,391 guests
No Members online

Old 04-10-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Sure! Be happy too...I think most Alum Panhel Groups also do high school sorority info sessions as well...

Where are you "down south?" If you are close to where we are, you are more than welcome to come to our 25 April session!

Go to my profile and send me an email so we can chat more off-thread...

P.S. We were fortunate to have had both the President (an Alpha Xi Delta) and VP (a Chi Omega) of the HUGE Atlanta Alum Panhel Association come to the very first event I hosted when we were trying to get our APH started. I had been the alternate Gamma Phi delegate in AAPA for two years and they wre very supportive of getting another APH started since they knew that only about 5% of the sorority women from the Southern Crescent area had anything to do with their sorority alum groups, much less Panhel! They even voted to give me a $50 "grant" to help offset my personal postage costs.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

C, did you take it???

If did that would help pay cost of ticket to KC!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Tomorrow, I'm going to an organizational meeting for forming an APH in Central NJ!

The meeting is in Cranbury and the area they're targeting is around there. Its a bit further south than a lot of our alum assoc events, but we do have some alumnae in that area who've expressed interest in alum events nearer to them. Maybe having an active APH would help with growing our alumnae association... Are those alumnae associations that formed after the new APH formed still going?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The NPC Web Site has information about starting an alumnae panhellenic.
www.npcwomen.org

That said, let me explain what our area does.
We are in a small city of about 50,000. There are only about 2 organized alumnae groups here. About 40 years ago, an energetic couple of ladies started an NPC alumnae Panhellenic here. There were two or three meetings a year as well as the spring tea for high school seniors. Back then, they'd have bridge luncheons to raise money for a scholarship.
Over the years, we've found that nobody plays bridge anymore, nobody wants to meet on weekdays (women work nowadays!) and there are no new Greek alumnae groups forming. BUT - we've kept the tradition of the spring tea.
I'll admit - we are not sanctioned by NPC. We just don't have enough people willing to pay big enough dues to keep the sanction. Our officer elections consist of a few calls saying, "Do you want to do it this year?"
But over the past 25 years, we've kept having the "tea." We put out word through the local newspaper, teen-age babysitters etc. and have a get-together the Sunday afternoon of the local high schools' baccalaureate (everbody is in town!), at 2 p.m. - everybody's still dressed for church. It's at a community room at the local mall. Any sorority that wants to participate can pay the $10 dues and set up a display at the meeting. You can put anything you want on your display and wear anything you want. The only thing we ask is that each group have no more than 3 representatives, in any combination of alumnae or collegians.
At the meeting, we ask the current collegians to talk about recruitment on their campus. We try to have girls with chapter houses, girls with chapter rooms, maybe even a girl from a campus with deferred (January) recruitment.
We talk about how to dress, what to expect, how much it costs, sorority requirements of time and grades...we even cover the "best" sororities and what happens if you don't get a bid.
Each year, we gather between 35 and 50 information forms, with pictures and grade transcripts, on the girls going off to college and sorority recruitment. The president makes up packages for each member group. Our $10 dues are mostly to cover any copying or supplies that she needs to get the packages put together. It doesn't matter if you don't have an organized alumnae group. You can represent your own group as long somebody pays the $10 dues.
It's worked very well for us for a number of years and is MOST helpful to those of us who don't know everybody in town, or don't know kids in that age group!
Yes, we'd like to be an official NPC group, but we just don't have the numbers for it right now.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-17-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAndFinest View Post
Tomorrow, I'm going to an organizational meeting for forming an APH in Central NJ!

Me too!!!!!! See you in a couple of hours!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
The NPC Web Site has information about starting an alumnae panhellenic.
www.npcwomen.org

That said, let me explain what our area does.
We are in a small city of about 50,000. There are only about 2 organized alumnae groups here. About 40 years ago, an energetic couple of ladies started an NPC alumnae Panhellenic here. There were two or three meetings a year as well as the spring tea for high school seniors. Back then, they'd have bridge luncheons to raise money for a scholarship.
Over the years, we've found that nobody plays bridge anymore, nobody wants to meet on weekdays (women work nowadays!) and there are no new Greek alumnae groups forming. BUT - we've kept the tradition of the spring tea.
I'll admit - we are not sanctioned by NPC. We just don't have enough people willing to pay big enough dues to keep the sanction. Our officer elections consist of a few calls saying, "Do you want to do it this year?"
But over the past 25 years, we've kept having the "tea." We put out word through the local newspaper, teen-age babysitters etc. and have a get-together the Sunday afternoon of the local high schools' baccalaureate (everbody is in town!), at 2 p.m. - everybody's still dressed for church. It's at a community room at the local mall. Any sorority that wants to participate can pay the $5 dues and set up a display at the meeting. You can put anything you want on your display and wear anything you want. The only thing we ask is that each group have no more than 3 representatives, in any combination of alumnae or collegians.
At the meeting, we ask the current collegians to talk about recruitment on their campus. We try to have girls with chapter houses, girls with chapter rooms, maybe even a girl from a campus with deferred (January) recruitment.
We talk about how to dress, what to expect, how much it costs, sorority requirements of time and grades...we even cover the "best" sororities and what happens if you don't get a bid.
Each year, we gather between 35 and 50 information forms, with pictures and grade transcripts, on the girls going off to college and sorority recruitment. The president makes up packages for each member group. Our $5 dues are mostly to cover any copying or supplies that she needs to get the packages put together. It doesn't matter if you don't have an organized alumnae group. You can represent your own group as long somebody pays the $5 dues.
It's worked very well for us for a number of years and is MOST helpful to those of us who don't know everybody in town, or don't know kids in that age group!
Yes, we'd like to be an official NPC group, but we just don't have the numbers for it right now.
I think what you are doing is absolutely wonderful! You are enjoying yourself and helping many at the same time.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you may not understand how little NPC Alumnae Panhellenic dues are - I founded the NW TN/SW KY APH,and paid the dues myself (I think they were $25) the first two years. We only have 8 or so members, but put on a tea every spring.
Forming the APH was really not hard at all, and by joining you would be listed on their website and receive the help and support of the Alumnae Panhellenic advisors (all the women I've worked with have been great). The NPC materials have been a big hit at our tea. You also would have your contact information given to all NPC members - we've had NPC groups contact us about getting their members active in the APH. What your group has done is great - I'd hate for a misunderstanding about dues to keep you from being a part of NPC!
eta - our group has $5 dues also, and is structured so anyone who pays can be a member - so we have more than one member from some sororities.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 04-06-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm very excited about the Central NJ Alumnae Panhellenic! There were representatives from 7 NPC groups - and many live (or have members in their own alum assoc) really close to me (and my assoc's members)!

Jennie - it was really great to meet you! I'm trying to figure out how to be at the next meeting AND at the Founders' Day celebration at Villanova (at the exact same times)!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I think you may not understand how little NPC Alumnae Panhellenic dues are - I founded the NW TN/SW KY APH,and paid the dues myself (I think they were $25) the first two years. We only have 8 or so members, but put on a tea every spring.
Well, I'll have to look into that - thanks for telling me, Belle! Last time we were members, it was based on the number of members and seems like it was roughly $1 a member with a minimum of $50. We also only have about 8 member groups...so with $10 per group...heck, we hardly have enough to justify a bank account!
And I apologize, but the NPC Web site does NOT have information on starting a group. I've looked and looked and can't find any. I'm sure that you would get a quick response by calling or e-mailing an area adviser, though.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-17-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
Quote:
I'm very excited about the Central NJ Alumnae Panhellenic! There were representatives from 7 NPC groups - and many live (or have members in their own alum assoc) really close to me (and my assoc's members)!

Jennie - it was really great to meet you! I'm trying to figure out how to be at the next meeting AND at the Founders' Day celebration at Villanova (at the exact same times)!
I'm really excited about the NJ APH too! I had a great time today and met a lot of wonderful women. It's so awesome how the connection of NPC can bring us together! We don't wear the same letters but are still bonded by sisterhood!

OK - I am officially a dork
Old 04-06-2008, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie3576 View Post
I'm really excited about the NJ APH too! I had a great time today and met a lot of wonderful women. It's so awesome how the connection of NPC can bring us together! We don't wear the same letters but are still bonded by sisterhood!

OK - I am officially a dork
I'm a dork, too, bc I feel the same way! I came in the door telling Mr. FnF all about the luncheon and he was like "HUH - is this ADPi stuff?" I just said yes and let him say "that's nice, dear".
Old 04-06-2008, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding dues, we learned that NPC "charges" ~ $25-$40 per Alumnae Panhellenic. Each AP can charge dues based on the type of organization it decides to be. I think we decided that we are not going with the kind of group where individuals join; we are going with the type where an NPC's Alumnae Association joins and pays dues based on the number of dues-paying members the AA has.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

For information on forming an APH

http://npcwomen.org/alumnae-panhellenics/advisors.aspx contact the advisor for your area.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gwen1982 Send a message via Yahoo to gwen1982
Quote:
I'm a dork, too, bc I feel the same way! I came in the door telling Mr. FnF all about the luncheon and he was like "HUH - is this ADPi stuff?" I just said yes and let him say "that's nice, dear".
Geez, I haven't been on here forever. Jennie, I'm so glad you mentioned it today! It rekindled the idea to skulk around again. I had a great time today meeting everyone and can't wait for the Central NJ group to take off!! Mrs. FnF - it was wonderful talking to you. I admit I'm a Greek geek, and I thank you for the history lesson. I think everyone's history is interesting, and I can't wait to find out more about everyone and their respective groups

**You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies. - Dr. Who**
Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I live in a small town of about 25,000 people but every year I am contacted about recs, recruitment info, etc. I am seriously interested in forming something similar to AnchorAlumn's group! It would help our hs girls so much. Thanks for the info and I will report back!
We NEED this here!