GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,341
1 members and 2,340 guests
naraht

Old 07-15-2003, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter Housing Payment & Financial Aid

I was wondering how chapters handle members with financial aid which may come in after room rents are due?

Are they required to pay like everyone else or given "special" treatment based on the f.a. delays?

How does this affect the chapter's budget - esp. if the chapter has to turn around and pay someone else...university, bank etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2003, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Chapter Housing Payment & Financial Aid

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
I was wondering how chapters handle members with financial aid which may come in after room rents are due?

Are they required to pay like everyone else or given "special" treatment based on the f.a. delays?

How does this affect the chapter's budget - esp. if the chapter has to turn around and pay someone else...university, bank etc.

Thanks!
Lynn, I know at my chapter (tiny house) we paid rent monthly - occasionally at the beginning of the semester a girl would be waiting on her financial aid to pay some of her rent. She would usually just let the house manager know it was going to be late and we would cover her rent until the payment came in. However, I could see this being a bigger problem in a bigger house - we only had 8 girls live in, so it's not like we we were waiting for a ton of money.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a sorority dorm. After 30 years, (2 years ago) the rules changed. Each sorority is fiscally responsibile for 25 beds regardless if they have a body for it (no pun intended, lol).
Old 07-16-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
This is a sorority dorm. After 30 years, (2 years ago) the rules changed. Each sorority is fiscally responsibile for 25 beds regardless if they have a body for it (no pun intended, lol).
Is that generally a problem on campus or not? I've always been curious about how that works - does the chapter write one check to the school for all the beds?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

No, it's not really a problem yet, lol. Our school is running out of dorm space b/c the school is growing so fast.

The school can be understanding about it if a member is relying on financial aid. Yes, the chapter pays directly to the univ. housing but it is broken down into 2 payments...1 the day members move in and 1 two weeks later.

I am pretty sure all the floors will be full in the fall. I was just wondering about different what ifs.