GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,364
1 members and 2,363 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
AEcutiePhi

Chapter Chairs

a

Last edited by AEcutiePhi; 11-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You have to give EVERYONE a chair? That sounds a bit excessive. I realize not every org operates the same way, but we are all required to be on a committee. As Membership Chair, I'm the head of the Recruitment committee. I'll ask them to play a bigger role in recruitment and give them more responsibility.

If that doesn't work for you, here are a few more ideas: t-shirt chair, song chair, Greek Week/Songfest/Lip Sync chair, new member, and risk management.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEcutiePhi View Post
At this point we have social, community service, second avenues, events, ritualist, alum relations, fraternity relations, sorority relations, historian, sunshine, sisterhood, public relations, recruitment, fundraising, academics, and philanthropy.
"If it pleases and sparkles..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
You have to give EVERYONE a chair? That sounds a bit excessive. I realize not every org operates the same way, but we are all required to be on a committee. As Membership Chair, I'm the head of the Recruitment committee. I'll ask them to play a bigger role in recruitment and give them more responsibility.

If that doesn't work for you, here are a few more ideas: t-shirt chair, song chair, Greek Week/Songfest/Lip Sync chair, new member, and risk management.
I agree that giving everyone a chair is a bit excessive but that requiring membership on a committee is normal.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

i guess if you're a smaller chapter it makes sense, because really no person exists you couldn't designate a "chair" for- that sweet girl who gets so excited about every event, even though she's probably too stupid to manage spelling name of said event? "Spirit Chair." That girl who is just a little too "friendly" for your taste with all the fraternity members? "Assistant External Social." Burnt-out senior? "Free Food at the House Chair."

I mean putting everyone on a committee under one of your exec board members would make sense, but if your chapter has more than 10-ish members, giving everyone a title seems redundant.

Either that or it's your nationals' way of telling you that everyone in your chapter is putting on too much weight and can no longer share chairs since the chairs won't support the weight of multiple sisters. In the case of this serious risk management issue, you should focus on grooming and physical fitness, so they don't have to buy more chairs for everyone to have their own to sit on at chapter.

Last edited by annabella; 01-09-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: sarcasm requires subject-verb agreement.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

OMG annabella that was so funny!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
AEcutiePhi

a

Last edited by AEcutiePhi; 11-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You could have also asked your question on whatever private means of communication you have for your sorority.

You're welcome.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM

This makes no sense. Forcing everyone to have a chair will drive away members. Not everyone wants to have that much responsibility - some people just want to be a sister!

I would tell (not ask) your nationals that this is a very bad idea and make sure that is really what they meant. Seriously. I can see requiring committee membership but making everyone the "head" of something is every bit as silly as annabella pointed out.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

"4 or 5 people to a chair to share" made me think of people sharing chairs at desks and it made me lol. Thanks annabella for fleshing the idea out for me - too funny!

On a more serious note, I think it's a little crazy that your nationals would tell you you need more chair positions without giving you a list of positions. Some "chairs" require less work than others. For example, we had "purchasing." We would do a group purchasing project once or twice a year and buy a t-shirt. They also helped sister-mothers buy items for their daughters during new member period. They did their "job" maybe 3 times a semester, and spent most of their "job" on the phone with greek stores asking questions, between classes.

The most intensive part of it was getting people to give up their money, and coming up with cute ideas which they would put to chapter for voting.

Ooooohh it was a drama-filled chapter meeting when we wanted to do sweatpants. Half the chapter wanted letters on the butt, half the chapter wanted letters on the leg near the cuff. I think we decided on not putting letters, but rather spelling out Alpha Gamma Delta, down the leg, so that no one felt like they were rubbing their ass all over our letters.

I'm not kidding. People were crying.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post

Ooooohh it was a drama-filled chapter meeting when we wanted to do sweatpants. Half the chapter wanted letters on the butt, half the chapter wanted letters on the leg near the cuff. I think we decided on not putting letters, but rather spelling out Alpha Gamma Delta, down the leg, so that no one felt like they were rubbing their ass all over our letters.

I'm not kidding. People were crying.
Slight hi-jack:

It's so funny to think of the trivial things that were a HUGE deal as collegians.

When I was tee shirt chair, there was a pretty drama-filled chapter meeting involving the hayride date party tee shirt design and whether we were going to have baby tees or 3/4 sleeves.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
This is probably a really un-PC-type saying these days, but I can't think of another way to say it at the moment ---- giving everyone a "title" or "rank" makes for too many chiefs and not enough indians. Very bad idea, organization-dynamics-wise.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I really wasn't trying to be rude, I just read your post and started giggling at the idea of four girls sharing a chair. It's pretty stupid, but I mean some positions are really less important/less intensive then others. Maybe just go to your nationals, and ask them for some clarification/suggestions for chairs. They may be able to help you with ideas, provide further insight into their reasoning, or realize that it just may not work out. Win-win(win).