GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 849
2 members and 847 guests
indygphib

Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAgirl18 View Post
I had posted before about china pattern issues and I've changed the one that we registered for. Not many people are fond of it, but I love it and I can't imagine anything else!

Wedgewood's Golden Bird
I think it's very pretty!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM

As most of you guys know, I fell down some steps and broke my nose on Saturday. I also hurt my back and neck pretty badly. So I have been out of school all week.

WAL has determined that since my nose is broken and I can't go to school this week, that now is a good time to call me 24/7 about wedding stuff.

She called me last night, around midnight-ish. My neck was hurting particularly badly, so I had just taken my painkillers and was just going to call it a night:

Me: Helloooo
WAL: OMG! Turn on the TV!
Me: I can't really, my neck hurts and I don't feel like getting up. I'm going to bed, what is it?
WAL: OMG on WE there's this wedding gown show on and I found my perfect dress on this show and I NEED you to see it.
Me: It's like midnight, WAL.
WAL: Well I'll email you a picture of it and we can talk about it tomorrow.
Me: Bye.

I have gotten several such phone calls since I broke my nose. I started not answering her and just letting her leave a message.

In other news, she has talked to her fiance, and he has decided that he doesn't want to get married in May, and would like to wait until later in the year because he doesn't want to have to worry about a wedding as soon as he comes home from Iraq. The doesn't stop her from wanting to talk wedding every single day of her life though.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I planned to use the Portland Art Museum, I thought it was a good space, affordable, and I liked that my guests had something to do if it wasn't dancing, drinking, or eating time, or between the ceremony and reception. Plus it was centrally located in downtown Portland for hotels and the light rail.
I love the art museum! We used it to celebrate my parents 25th anniversary and it went very well. The staff was very helpful with getting everything arranged.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa! I need help!

My sister and I were asked to do the decorating for a relative's wedding that's coming up way too soon. I thought it wouldn't be that hard but I just got some photographs of the venue (the bride's grandparents' backyard) and I'm freaking out! The budget is very tight and we're going to need some ideas.

I don't mean to bust into KSUviolet's saga (I've been following it with interest) but I've just got to get some suggestions. I know there are creative people with wedding experience here on GC...I'm absolutely begging for your help!

I'm gonna go download the photos I just saw and I'll be back to post some more about the situation.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
My sister and I were asked to do the decorating for a relative's wedding that's coming up way too soon. I thought it wouldn't be that hard but I just got some photographs of the venue (the bride's grandparents' backyard) and I'm freaking out! The budget is very tight and we're going to need some ideas.

I don't mean to bust into KSUviolet's saga (I've been following it with interest) but I've just got to get some suggestions. I know there are creative people with wedding experience here on GC...I'm absolutely begging for your help!

I'm gonna go download the photos I just saw and I'll be back to post some more about the situation.
Ooh ooh! Can it be like decorating for pref night during recruitment? Haha sorry, that was the first thing that popped into my head. It depends on the time of day, but you could wrap Christmas lights in tulle (to match the colors of their theme).
Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Definitely find out what she likes and doesn't like before you start. My SIL Mom's friend (brother's wife) decorated for her wedding. She is known as Toulle Lady 8 years later (and though she was appreciative of her effort, that is not fondly).

Sometimes you can rent an arbor from a nursery, if there is none. Virtual decorating! This will be fun.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh yay, I have some support already! Thanks ladies. I really can use all the help I can get.

So here's the deal...

The wedding is being held outside with the B & G at an arbor. Then there will be drinks and hors d'oeurves in this little side area. While that's going on, some guys will rush to reset the chairs in a tent behind a barn. The guests will enter the tent through the barn.

I found a really pretty photo of a barn at brides.com:

With these inside:
We ran the wheat idea by the bride and she loved it. (She had actually seen the same photos and that's what gave her the idea to have the wedding at her grandparents' house.)

Unfortunately, that's when I saw a photo of the actual barn:

It's been re-stained and the cowboys are gone but it's still pretty sad:

They were planning on using a Rustoleum paint on the metal parts but for some reason tossed the idea.

So my first question is should we still do a wreath above the door? My sister is doing the drapes with a bleached white muslin. If we go with a wreath, I think it should be decorated with white instead of the plain straw. What's your take on this?

HELP!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine214 View Post

To go off another idea, if there are any men with construction experience that you know, ask them to build the arbor. Yo can do it with with 4 2x4's and I forget what it's called but it's like pre-made lattice wood work that's pre-painted white that you can get at Lowe's.
Just like in Meet the Parents!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM

F&*K!
The excel spreadsheet with the budget and the list and everything is lost! File is corrupted! I hadn't backed up the info on the computer yet this month and OF COURSE it crashes.
I have no desire to start over right now, either.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinChicaDDD View Post
F&*K!
The excel spreadsheet with the budget and the list and everything is lost! File is corrupted! I hadn't backed up the info on the computer yet this month and OF COURSE it crashes.

Oh man. That's rough. Do you have any other records of stuff (i.e. like paper copies of contracts, price quotes, etc)?

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
A+ on wheat usage! My bouquet was white roses, bells of ireland, thistle, and wheat. The girls had just wheat, the groomsmen had wheat boutineers, and husbands was a white rose and wheat. Our offering to the Holy Mother was wheat with bells of ireland and carnations binding it. The table centerpieces were seasonal wildflowers/roughage with wheat and thistles thrown in. The wheat was great because it was cheap, hardy, and went with darn near everything. It was really easy to get at the time of year our wedding was (november). Martha Stewart had a really awesome wheat wreath design in her wedding stuff too if I remember correctly.

From Martha Stewart weddings

More from Martha : Wheat boutineer (and other neat ones!)
Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Oh man. That's rough. Do you have any other records of stuff (i.e. like paper copies of contracts, price quotes, etc)?
I have the quotes and stuff- thankfully I'm pretty early into the process. Its the guest list that I'm pretty upset over. We spent a good two hours working on it and it was pretty much final. Now we have to start over again.

It was an awesome excel sheet. Le sigh.

In other news, my mom is not only guilt tripping me about possibly not having the wedding in our hometown, she started on him too. Poor guy. He is so confused about what is going on. See my mom, as a teacher, is very good at playing mind games to try to get what she wants without coming out and saying it. Very effective classroom management tool. As still a relatively new teacher, I'm getting better at it. And I grew up with it, so I'm completely used to it and can block it. But him- his family was less of the mind tricks and more of the yelling and yes, spanking as a child, family. He is so confused.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
A+ on wheat usage! My bouquet was white roses, bells of ireland, thistle, and wheat. The girls had just wheat, the groomsmen had wheat boutineers, and husbands was a white rose and wheat. Our offering to the Holy Mother was wheat with bells of ireland and carnations binding it. The table centerpieces were seasonal wildflowers/roughage with wheat and thistles thrown in. The wheat was great because it was cheap, hardy, and went with darn near everything. It was really easy to get at the time of year our wedding was (november). Martha Stewart had a really awesome wheat wreath design in her wedding stuff too if I remember correctly.

From Martha Stewart weddings

More from Martha : Wheat boutineer (and other neat ones!)
I love how you used the wheat. Very pretty!
Thanks for the Martha Stewart pics too.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
F&*K!
OMG, I've been working on my spreadsheet with all my stuff on it a lot the past few days - this totally freaks me out that it could all be gone I'm so sorry to hear you have to restore it!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have the quotes and stuff- thankfully I'm pretty early into the process. Its the guest list that I'm pretty upset over. We spent a good two hours working on it and it was pretty much final. Now we have to start over again.

It was an awesome excel sheet. Le sigh.

In other news, my mom is not only guilt tripping me about possibly not having the wedding in our hometown, she started on him too. Poor guy. He is so confused about what is going on. See my mom, as a teacher, is very good at playing mind games to try to get what she wants without coming out and saying it. Very effective classroom management tool. As still a relatively new teacher, I'm getting better at it. And I grew up with it, so I'm completely used to it and can block it. But him- his family was less of the mind tricks and more of the yelling and yes, spanking as a child, family. He is so confused.
OH NOES... Remember this is YOUR wedding. She had hers. Tell P that too. DO what YOU TWO WANT. This is not bridezilla-ish.