GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 783
0 members and 783 guests
No Members online

Old 10-12-2000, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Informal Rush

Well this past fall i was going to go through fall rush... so many thoughts were going into my head, plus it didnt help that the rho chi that was assigned to me didnt seem very friendly. I only talked to her on the phone, and i realize that maybe she wasnt trying to sound unfriendly, but thats how she came across. Long story short, i decide to wait another semester. Now, in the spring, my school has informal rush. Considering i dont know any girls in sororities here, and i dont really know what house i want to be in.... i dont know if going through informal rush is a good idea. I am a transfer student to this school so i am a sophomore, i dont want to wait until fall rush next year because then i will be a junior. The school that i transferred from, mainly takes in all freshman and a few sophomores... so thats why i dont want to rush here as a junior. I dont know what i should do... i would love to get advice from anyone that knows a thing or two about informal rush!! If you are in a sororitiy at the University of Houston, that is where i transferred to, i would love to hear from you as well!!

[This message has been edited by bucutie02 (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old 10-12-2000, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tweety
bucutie02

I have gone through informal rush last year and it was a lot of fun. Not knowing which chapter you want to rush will make it a little more tricky. First you need to figure out that part. Try to contact the Panhallenic Association at your campus. Look around in class, see if any of the girls are in sororities and talk to them. You still have a while before Rush begins again, so try to make a few friends. Also, look at the post by southern_theta "My Advice to Sorority Rushees...." it is very helpful. Good luck
Old 10-12-2000, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

In my opinion no matter what year you are if you represent the ideals of a house and they see that then you will be given a bid. Perhaps instead of looking at your situation as a negative you could take this time to get to know some girls in houses. Make an effort to be friendly and introduce yourself, and if possible hang out at some of the houses with people belonging to the house.

I know that my chapter looks at what qualities a woman possesses verses what year she is. In the past two informal classes we have taken seniors and juniors. Being older isn't always a bad thing. Just make the effort to get to know members of the different orgs.

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta
Old 10-12-2000, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi-

Although I personally agree with what Kymberleigh has said, it just isn't true at all schools. I went to a southern school with a large greek system and they DON'T accept juniors. Not a one. Not only that, but juniors who sign up to rush always drop out before rush even starts because they know they don't have a chance. Although Panhel won't say that it's an "official" policy (i don't think....), it is definitely true with the sororities on my campus. With upperclassmen quota usually being only about 5 and freshman quota is about 40.....and there are about 50 sophomores who rush, the juniors don't have much of a chance. It is sad, and I don't necessarily agree, but at many schools it is hard to have juniors and seniors join because of getting them big sisters, letting them have an older mentor, etc...

What I'm basically saying is that you NEED to find out your school's policy on non-freshmen rushing. Please understand that people who respond to this ARE trying to help you, but every school is different. Don't solely reply on the posts. Call your greek affairs office and talk to the person in charge. Explain your concerns.

Also, try to meet more people at night. Within the 1st week of classes, I knew the reputations of all the sororities and fraternities (although I didn't listen to them or I would never have wound up joining mine!) You will be able to sense a lot about the different groups by meeting the members head on.

Here is the link to the U of H sororities listed on greekpages.com. In the Alpha Chi Omega site, it says to contact Josey Evans (jwevans@bayou.uh.edu) or the Campus Activities Office ((713) 743-5180) or http://www.uh.edu/greek/national/HCPA/. This should give you a good place to start. Check out their webpages!!!

Good luck! I wish you the best!
Old 10-12-2000, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

First of all, i would like to thank everyone that replied to my questions. I am new to this, but i really like how many people actually read the message boards and reply to them. I just want to clear up that i was not looking at it negatively, but just realisticly. Its true that the whole "freshman only" rule applies to some school and not to others. I know for a fact that at my school they accept non freshman as well. The good thing is that i am still just a sophomore so its not as bad. I dont know how they go about with juniors and seniors. Oh, and thank you for finding out all of that information for me about the web page with all the sororities... i've been looking at that page quite a few times!!! I have also been emailing Josey Evans, who is the panhellenic advisor. She is aware I am a transfer student and interested in informal rush. There are a few girls in a class of mine that are in sororities. Here at U of H, we have 6 sororities which are Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu and Zeta Tau Alpha. Of those 6, there are 3 girls in AXO in my class, 2 in DG, and 1 in ZTA. They seem like they only talk to the girls in their own sorority, except for the one in ZTA, she doesnt talk to anyone in there. I guess i feel intimidated by them for some reason. I know i shouldnt feel like that, but thats why i havent talked to them already. About talking to them at night... U of H is a big commuter school, and i happen to fit in that catagory. I am living at home this year. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to school. To make a long story short, i unfortunately just go to class and come back... thats why i want to join a sorority to get involved with the school and community. So, right now i am not experiencing much of a "college life". Hopefully that will change soon In rushing i also have to think about that because i know sororities have many functions and not living close to school might be a hassle sometimes, but i know that if i truely want to be in one, i will make it work! I really appreciate everyone's advice for me, thanks a bunch!!! I guess now, im still wondering a little more about informal rush. Is it usually one day only? and can you go to as many houses as you want during this time, or do you usually just go to the house you want to be in?
Old 10-13-2000, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by bucutie02:
Of those 6, there are 3 girls in AXO in my class, 2 in DG, and 1 in ZTA. They seem like they only talk to the girls in their own sorority, except for the one in ZTA, she doesnt talk to anyone in there. I guess i feel intimidated by them for some reason. I know i shouldnt feel like that, but thats why i havent talked to them already.
I also transferred into my school (but as a 3rd semester junior!) In one of my classes there were 3 AXO's, 3 DZ's, and a couple of ZTA's. And being that I like to sit in the back of a class, I just happened to sit right between the AXO's and the DZ's. Did I mention this was a Psychology of Sexuality class??? So then I really felt intimidated! But then one day I heard one of the AXO's say something funny about something and I made a wisecrack about her joke, and then we just all started laughing. It was so great! And the rest...well you know the saying! So I would say just look for your opening to say "hi" or something and go for it. If you're shy you really won't make it through rush (formal or otherwise). You just have to tell yourself that you're "smart, pretty, and doggone it...people like me!" (any SNL fans out there?) You can always even use this board as a starting point - like saying you've heard a lot about the greek system at the Univ. of Houston and you were wondering how to find out more info about informal recruitment (let them know you're interested). If you are talking to the AXO's, tell them you've "met" a couple of us on here (cash78mere is a sister also) and that we've been real friendly and helpful in answering your questions . I mean seriously - you could also ask members on this board from other orgs at your school. Anything to get you able to start talking to them. I mean of course they're going to talk to each other - they're sisters. The same as you probably talked to and sat with people you've met at school. I don't see it as a snobby thing, just say hi and see where it goes from there. Just don't ever be afraid to try - that's how we all got here. We wish you luck - let us know what happens!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-14-2000, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Well just as an update, i have been emailing this girl in a sorority at my school. She has been telling me a little more about rush and informal rush as well. She is also a sophomore and she just rushed this fall. She is a Phi Mu. She seems like a really sweet girl. I was telling her how i dont live on campus, and it turns out that she lives about 40 minutes away from school which is longer than what it takes me. She is very interested in answering any of my questions. I think i might email atleast one girl from every sorority at U of H. Please, if you are in a sorority at U of H, let me know! Thanks to everyone else too for giving me great advice! Right now I am liking all the sororities on campus. I cant really base it on anything though. I just like everyone's color, symbols, and philanthrophy!! Hopefully soon I will be either an AXO, XO, DZ, DG, ZTA, or PM!!

[This message has been edited by bucutie02 (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-15-2000, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

This doesnt necessarily have to deal with direct "informal rush", but it is a question i have pertaining a sorority. Knowing some more information on it might make me not want to rush it anymore. As you all know, i am interested in spring rush, but dont have a clue which sorority house i would like to be. In another post i read somethings where this girl posted the secrets to Chi Omega. She is not in that sorority anymore and that was her reason for posting it, she also wrote typed the secret handshake on there. I was reading it, and some of those things seem so harsh. I dont reall think its true considering the fact that why would any girl want to go through that just to be in a sorority. What do you guys think about it?
Old 10-16-2000, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Okay well i have great news!!! I just randomly IMed this girl that is a new member of AXO,i got her sn from the alpha chi chapter at my school. We ended up talking for a really long time! She seems like the nicest and sweetest girl in the world!! She even set up a lunch date for us to meet next week. Another thing she mentioned was for me to go with her to some of the parties so i can see other girls in different sororities. She wants me to see them and also meet them because she has friends in other sororities besides AXO. She is doing this to help me and not soley to recruit members for AXO. Me being happy and comfortable is my first priority! She mentioned going to the parties with her and her sorority sisters. When i mentioned to her that she doesnt even know what i look like she replied with "what does that matter". This is a complete opposite from the sorority girls in my old school. I am apprehensive about meeting her, but i think its going to be a BIG step towards the positive!! I am so exctied i got a chance to meet her!
Old 10-16-2000, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

bucutie02
Hey there. About your post on the secrets of XO. That girl went to SHSU so I'm right near it all. Please just ignore all of that. That subject took over this board & many members (& ME) for days. I think it's great that you're going to finally meet one of the girls. That's how I started. Once you meet one girl, she will more than likely introduce you to everyone she knows. That's the best feeling. If you're interested in all the sororites, you may want ask if you can specifically meet a few XOs so you can see how they are at U of H. I've met XOs at SHSU & they were nothing like she said they were. They were really sweet, a little forward, but fun girls. WOW, the AXO you talked to asked you to go to some parties. That is really awesome. I'm so happy for you & hope you have a great time!! Talk to you soon.

Allison
Old 10-16-2000, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Dear Allison,
Yes, the axo i talked to asked me if i could go to a party with her and some of her sorority sisters sometime this week or sometime soon. As we were talking on AOL instant messneger, she asked me if she could call me instead because her fingers were getting tired! Someone at my house was on the phone so thats why we decided to still stay on here. I cant get over how nice she was, she a cheerleader at our school too so that may have something to do with it I dont know what is going to happen concerning rush, but when i talked to her last night i felt so comfortable and loved. She told me that all her sorority sisters are awesome and caring. I felt like a connection with her and would love to have a friend like her and many more too!! You cant ever have enough friends. Although, with all this said and done.... i havent actually met her. The way she talked, she made it seem like we were going to like each other no matter what. I hope we do both get along really well. I am a little nervous on how to dress and to look "cute", i know everyone says to be yourself, and im not saying i am not trying to go for that, but first impressions are always important. I just want to look nice and give a great first impression. She mentioned our "lunch date" and asked me if i would be okay with her brining some of her sisters along, but i told her that for our first meet i would feel 100% more comfortable with only her. I would feel very intimidated otherwise. Anyway, i hope everything turns out great! I dont think i will be meeting her until next week though. This is definitely a good sign right? I hope she likes me!!

[This message has been edited by bucutie02 (edited October 16, 2000).]

Last edited by bucutie02; 01-16-2002 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2000, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by bucutie02:
This is definitely a good sign right? I hope she likes me!!

The way you type is so cute - it reminds me of my old diary days I am sure things will work out great. I'm so glad to know that one of my sisters is making you feel good about going greek! Don't worry about her liking you - sounds like she already does. Now you just have to see where your heart leads you. I welcome you to email me anytime, and please keep us posted. I'd love to have another sister Good luck!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-16-2000, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

hey AXO Alum....thanks for saying i type "cute" Well yes she is making me feel SO comfortable.... i would love to pledge AXO is all the girls are as sweet as she is. I cant believe that she wants me to come along with her to the parties. It just seems weird how she already likes me without even knowing what i look like or having met me in person! Anyway, this other girl from Phi Mu wants to meet me as well for lunch!! It seems like i am going to be having many lunch dates That is so great... its like one minute i felt like i didnt know anyone and the next minute i have all these people wanting to eat lunch with me!! how awesome is that!! If there is anything you or anyone else would like to comment on, please do!! Have an awesome night everyone!!!
Old 10-17-2000, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVED informal rush. To me the whole experience of formal rush was a tense week of activities that were planned to a T and a lot of hype. Not only are the girls going through rush aprehensive, excited, and full of expectations, but so are the sororities. Formal rush, in my opinion, is worse AND less productive than informal. Again, just my opinion. I loved informal rush because it was MUCH more relaxed, you weren't hurried to get to the next sorority, you could stay and talk to people as long as you wanted. The memebers were more relaxed too. I feel it was a much better way to socialize and to find out information. I don't want to sound mean, but to be honest, when holding formal rush, there were often times moments where I couldn't remember names of girls, I'd be rushed to talk to everyone and I would even forget faces. It's not a good scenerio. During informal rush, I was able to talk to people at my leasure and at their own. It was easier to remember faces because I wasn't worried about getting more food out in time for the next group of girls. Anyway, just my two cents.
Old 10-17-2000, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Well here is an update on me... i havent met any of the girls yet, but the one i have been emailing, the Phi Mu, mentioned we should meet for lunch sometime. Therefore, i have a planned lunch date with an alpha chi, and a phi mu. I am actually nervous about meeting them. I guess once i meet them and we start talking, it will be fine. The entire walking to the place, looking for them, and then start walking towards them is the scary part. I know i am going to be wondering what she is thinking of me and i hope she doesnt think "oh, i hope thats not the girl im meeting for lunch". I am not having a bad attitude about this, i honestly think its nice of them to want to meet me and if we get along, ill have a better chance to get in a sorority than if i dont meet them. I guess its because sometimes i tend to think that all the girls in sororities are blonde and blue eyed. Sometimes i feel like i dont look like a sorority girl even though there isnt a certain "look" they have. Ahhh... i dont really fully know what im trying to say, i hope someone out there does!!