GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Lambda Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 751
3 members and 748 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-21-2003, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GOMAB3 Send a message via Yahoo to GOMAB3
Question Greek Cousins

Hi I am a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. I have a questions is Sigma Lambda Beta and Phi Beta Sigma are really cousin organizations. Please reply back
Old 04-02-2004, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XODUS1914
Yup, 'MAB. They are our cousins. Their founder is a Phi Beta Sigma. AND he even started a sorority modeled after our Zetas.
And from what I understand Sigma Lambda Beta is one of the largest (and most hated on) frat out of all the Latino GLO's. They are holding up the high ideals of brotherhood, scholarship and service like only our brown-skinned brothers can.

Keep up the good work , SLB!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Greek Cousins

Quote:
Originally posted by GOMAB3
Hi I am a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. I have a questions is Sigma Lambda Beta and Phi Beta Sigma are really cousin organizations. Please reply back
I don't think this "relationship" is recognized all over. It really depends on where you go.

And Baltazar (sp?) did not found Sigma Lambda Gamma. Their relationship with Sigma Lambda Beta is not exactly similiar to that of Zeta and Sigma.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XODUS1914
Well, I stand corrected, Soror. Personally, I haven't met either a SLB or SLG. I only know from what I read on the web. But I do think it's cool to have a link to orgs based in a different race. From what I know, we are the only ones in the D9 who can say that.

Dove Love!
Old 07-25-2004, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry, but no where in my travels in Zeta have a ever learned that we have cousins, only brothers. Since it is not nationally recognized, then it is not recognized at all. Anyway, what constitutes cousins? Who determined that Blue and White had cousins anyway? I think to suggest that there is some family relationship that is only "recognized" in certain places is a mockery of the true relationship that is present between Zeta and Sigma. Does the National President of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. know about his distant cousins? I know my Grand Basileus knows nothing about this. If Sigma Lambda Beta and Sigma Lambda Gamma are claiming to be a part of my family, I cannot recognize that.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wrussell Send a message via Yahoo to wrussell
Quote:
Originally posted by blulady
I am sorry, but no where in my travels in Zeta have a ever learned that we have cousins, only brothers. Since it is not nationally recognized, then it is not recognized at all. Anyway, what constitutes cousins? Who determined that Blue and White had cousins anyway? I think to suggest that there is some family relationship that is only "recognized" in certain places is a mockery of the true relationship that is present between Zeta and Sigma. Does the National President of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. know about his distant cousins? I know my Grand Basileus knows nothing about this. If Sigma Lambda Beta and Sigma Lambda Gamma are claiming to be a part of my family, I cannot recognize that.
Honestly, I think you are being really upity about this whole thing. What I was taught was that Baltazar was a Sigma and because of that we are called COUSINS, now we are not brothers of PBS and WE DON'T ASPIRE TO BE. I don't want to impose on The Blue and White family. I am not begging to be a apart of it, other wise I would have pledged PBS. Now, what I do feel is that there is something special between PBS and us because of Baltazar but I don't care if it is nationally recognized...what really would that do for us? Nothing. I am not pushing you to recognize me as you family, why should you? But please, do me a favor and don't discourage those who share my feeling of a special connection to PBS, wheter they be SLB, SLG, Zeta or Sigma, because from that connection, GREAT THINGS CAN BE ACHEIVE BY ALL PARTIES!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Candelita_GAMMA
Thumbs down

if you're not at least aware of the FIRM and the strong bonds that many of us have, then all that shows is the way that you were educated. simply put.

of course things change from chapter to chapter, state to state. but if you cannot see that since a Sigma was connected to the Betas... and since the Betas are close to the Gammas... and the Sigmas are obviously related to the Zetas... there's something there. if you cannot recognize that, maybe you need to open your eyes. remember, SLG and SLB are not wanna-bes of anyone cause then we would have pledged differently than we obviously have...

knowledge of this, or lack thereof, only shows how you were educated.

Candelita
#3 G.S.N.U.E.V.E.M.U.S.A.S.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

what i notice some people say that Balta was a Sigma. This is wrong. He IS a Sigma and will be always be Sigma. But he is also a Lambda Beta too. On his jacket he wears both sets of letters on each side.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry FIRM FAMILY

As a Prestigious Sister of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc. I find it hard to believe that people are on here bikering about who is who among family. Whether you recognize us (SLG & SLB) as your cousins, it's your decision, I know that I claim both my brothers (SLB) and my "cousins" (ZETAS & SIGMAS) to be my family, and as far as I know, we are the only greek orgs that can claim to be real family. Regardless of SLG not being constitutionally bonded with SLB, we already know how and who founded SLG and for those that didn't know how SLB was founded, you might want to do your research and you will get a wake up call as to what happened back in 1-9-8-6 and then four years later, we were founded (SLG). I am proud to call the ZETAS & SIGMAS apart of my family, who else can do that??? I don't see AKA's doing it, DELTA's either, and so on & so forth. Granted you may not have known this whole "cousin/family" situation before when you first became a sister or brother, but don't try to be blindfolded and try to get around it. WE ARE FAMILY AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanite_GAMMA View Post
I don't see AKA's doing it, DELTA's either, and so on & so forth.
Old post by a random but there was no reason for Delta (and any org besides the ones involved) to even be mentioned in this thread.

Trying too hard.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Old post by a random but there was no reason for Delta (and any org besides the ones involved) to even be mentioned in this thread.

Trying too hard.
Co-sign. I'm surprised at her (old) comment too. As large as SLG is, she should have let her "argument" stand on its own merits rather than try to undercut other organizations.

But yea, this FIRM business gets out of hand sometimes. There are some people on my campus who act like they pledged FIRM rather than their respective organizations

Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Trying too hard.
...sums up my thoughts on this whole topic...can't believe I haven't seen this thread before.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

History Lesson for all the haters..

Aight, aight.. So we got some ppl in the blue and white family making a big fuss of things.. Well let me break it down for some of ya'll..

I'll call it Royal Family 101.. 3 credit course, Professor "#86".

1- Baltazar Mendoza Madrigal IS a Sigma AND a LAMBDA BETA
2- No, we're not officially recognized as cousins. But then again, SLB and SLG arent really brothers and sisters.
3- We arent trying to be a copy of blue and white, we're doing our own thing. Now before you take this the wrong way, i got mad respect for all of you, but thats just how it is.

With that said, i will explain.

1: Founding Father Baltazar crossed Sigma and saw the great service PBS was doing for the advancement of the African American community; as time progressed he saw a need of an organization that could do the same for the Latino community. He then went to the national board of PBS and asked for permission to found his own organization with similar goals and aspirations geared towards the Latino community. They GRANTED him that opportunity. Therefore, he DIDN'T have to drop his PBS letters. Along with that, if he crossed PBS then he obviously knows the PBS process... Makes sense right?.. So, SLB and PBS process is bound to have MANY similarities.. HENCE, we are cousins not only by ideals, and goals; but by hardships and triumphs as well. And yes, i mean ALL hardships.. errrrrrripp!

2- SLB and SLG are not officially related but do share many similarities. SLG was founded from a group of women that were originally known as the "Lambda Ladies". At the risk of considering SLB a co-ed fraternity, SLB brothers quickly helped the "Lambda Ladies" establish their own organization. Yes, SLG ladies.. This is TRUE!! So dont tell me I'm wrong b/c I've spoken to the men face to face that helped found SLG. Hence, SLG (some chapters) have SOME similarities to that of SLB, which in turn are similarities with PBS... and I'm sure meaning similarities with ZFB.

3- And finally... WE AINT TRYIN TO BE YOU!! I'm sorry to sound rude, but the haters need to understand. If we wanted to be u we would have pledged PBS or Zeta. Now, I'm cool with all Sigmas and Zetas I know. We support each others events and have a good relationship. So why the royal family? C'mon now, blue and purple?? Both royal colors, makes sense right?? Sure does. Feel free to copy and paste this quick and short history lesson, to inform all of those that were not "educated" properly.

All in all.. Can't we all just get along!! damn!

Peace, i'm out!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: I live in Tallahasse cuz of school but im from naples
Send a message via AIM to Danina82
History changes ppl

I loved the history lesson very good, If you're wondering how Sigma Lambda Gamma comes in the picture is through Mary Peterson she helped found Sigma Lambda Beta with Baltazar, and with our 5 founders Sigma Lambda Gamma was created four years after. Now bcuz SLB helped found SLG they're brothers and sisters not constitutionally bounded but still family, ( and its kinda ovbious since they both start with SIGMA LAMBDA right? ) Anyways, Baltazar he didn't know what to call SLB but bcuz there's an obvious connection and special bond clearly through him, he called them his cousins...and then in 1990 when SLG was founded with the SLB's help and MARY PETERSON they also became part of The Royal Family.
I'm From FSU and here our FIRM is extremely close =] I understand that there are many ppl who don't know about this history, specially old school, BUT it is true whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Honestly it hurts me to see all this back and forth thing goin on, just because you haven't updated on your history it doesn’t' make it any less true. If you want to see what The Royal Family is all about go to youtube.com and search for FSU probate and see the "probate FSU sigma lambda gamma 1 of 4. You will definitely get a wake up call.

LOVE to ALL <3

P.S no offence to anybody, I just really want to make a change in getting out there our family history bcuz it's very important and bcuz it is very sad when you go to another school and you see rivalry between this organizations =/.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

RE: History Lesson for all the haters..

considering our process is so similar why do ppl question the fact we're related? plus i heard on the east coast theres cross pledging and theres sigmas going to beta pm's so isn't that even more proof and reason to respect the the FIRM?