GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,571
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, agelaspetrovy45
» Online Users: 2,536
2 members and 2,534 guests
LaneSig, Loyally Kappa

Old 04-13-2023, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Interested and have Questions!

Hello! I recently stumbled upon this sorority and I found that I really resonated with it! I have already contacted someone from HQ and she is helping me get all set with a local chapter. I had a few questions I wanted to ask some members though!

1. The cookbooks..is there anything very significant?? While doing my research I came across so many Beta Sigma Phi cookbooks. I've never seen anything like that for another GLO, so I was curious if they had some sort of special meaning for BSP?

2. Why did you join BSP? Especially if you're in another sorority? Also did you find the already active members to be friendly and welcoming? This is just a curiosity question! I have thought about alumnae initiation for an NPC org in the past and have been in contact with that HQ about it and I would hate to have to choose between either since I can see the importance and value of both orgs uniquely. Obviously I would not be pledging both at the same time because I don't believe that is fair to either of the organizations as they deserve to have a pledging member that is giving them their full attention at that time (obviously not counting work/school/family obligations). I am mainly asking this question because if I do decide further down the line to do the AI program, I want to know the policies and such.

3.Are members generally very active whether online or locally? My local chapter seems to have various meetings and events and such which is why I have been strongly considering joining BSP and have been in contact with one of the recruitment ladies from HQ, but I'm curious if this is the norm for other chapters in case I end up moving away from this city in the future.

Thanks in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2023, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I am a member of Online Kappa, but I first joined Beta Sigma Phi back in 2002 when I lived in Massachusetts. I joined OLK in 2003.

1. There isn't anything very significant about the cookbooks. It is just a fun tradition that was more active in the past. I don't think there has been a new one for quite a while.

2. I joined Beta Sigma Phi, in part, because I thought I had missed out on a sorority experience as an undergraduate, and I was really excited to see an organization with all the fun, community service, and traditions of a "college sorority" without any age limits or educational requirements. (I was a grad student at the time.) Once I started exploring Beta Sigma Phi, I saw that there were many aspects of the organization that fit well with me and my interests. I worked to establish a new chapter in western Mass, and that was so much fun!

3. There are chapters that are super active and others that are not! Officially, a chapter should meet twice per month in the fall, winter, and spring, OR they could meet once per month year round. Among the online chapters, there are different formats and levels of activity. Online Kappa operates very much like a regular, land chapter. We meet monthly with an education program and a social. We take new pledges and conduct traditional rituals (degree progressions). For me, it is a perfect fit, and I love my membership in OLK! I have held a variety of offices and chair positions, and in 2022, we organized the first EVER online convention! Some online chapters do not follow the formal structure of Beta Sigma Phi, and they work more like a chat group. There is even one chapter that is a "travel group." They make plans to go on fun trips together! It's good to search around and find something that meets your needs.

I hope you will stay in touch!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 04-16-2023, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I sent you a pm, too!
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 04-16-2023, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica812 View Post
Hi! I am a member of Online Kappa, but I first joined Beta Sigma Phi back in 2002 when I lived in Massachusetts. I joined OLK in 2003.

1. There isn't anything very significant about the cookbooks. It is just a fun tradition that was more active in the past. I don't think there has been a new one for quite a while.

2. I joined Beta Sigma Phi, in part, because I thought I had missed out on a sorority experience as an undergraduate, and I was really excited to see an organization with all the fun, community service, and traditions of a "college sorority" without any age limits or educational requirements. (I was a grad student at the time.) Once I started exploring Beta Sigma Phi, I saw that there were many aspects of the organization that fit well with me and my interests. I worked to establish a new chapter in western Mass, and that was so much fun!

3. There are chapters that are super active and others that are not! Officially, a chapter should meet twice per month in the fall, winter, and spring, OR they could meet once per month year round. Among the online chapters, there are different formats and levels of activity. Online Kappa operates very much like a regular, land chapter. We meet monthly with an education program and a social. We take new pledges and conduct traditional rituals (degree progressions). For me, it is a perfect fit, and I love my membership in OLK! I have held a variety of offices and chair positions, and in 2022, we organized the first EVER online convention! Some online chapters do not follow the formal structure of Beta Sigma Phi, and they work more like a chat group. There is even one chapter that is a "travel group." They make plans to go on fun trips together! It's good to search around and find something that meets your needs.

I hope you will stay in touch!

Erica
Hi! I actually just replied to your PM haha. That makes sense with the cookbooks! I'm an avid home baker and I especially love vintage cookbooks. I was thinking about ordering one to test out the recipes

That's also great to hear about the different chapters! I hope the HQ gets back to me soon because I can definitely see Beta Sigma Phi as the perfect place to grow through all stages of life due to the various different chapter structures.

I'll definitely be in touch! I think I may post updates on here as I embark on this journey.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m just waiting to hear back. I applied yesterday. I wish there was a master list of all the online chapters and specifics of each one. Not all of them have websites so it’s tough to know which one I should apply to. There are 20 in total from what I see.