GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,441
0 members and 2,441 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2005, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
American Idol 4

Ooh... do I get to start this season's thread?

January 18th is just around the corner. For those of you who haven't thought AI has jumped the shark yet, here's some info on this upcoming season:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../american_idol

Let the games (controversies?) begin.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that was a lot more info than I expected!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
I'm disappointed that the producers didn't make the age requirement at least 19 + . I might watch some of it. and Hopefully, less controversy this year.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Speculation ahead:

So people on TWoP have speculated that TPTB have pegged/"already chosen" a male to win... hense all the changes to the audition formats.

So hopefully there will be some nice eye candy this season... unlike last season.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know, I kind of feel that promising half the finalist slots to men is a little unfair. You could have 6 John Stevens clones in the finals while cutting some totally talented women. I know it would piss me off if I was competing. But I guess on the other hand, you could have 6 untalented women in there while cutting 6 talented men... I just think that that aspect of the competition should still be based solely on talent and not on gender.

The thing I didn't think was fair about the way it's been done in the past is the splitting up people into groups and having them only compete against people in the same group. As a result, there were a lot of really talented people who got cut because everybody in their group was good, while a few mediocre people got through because everyone in their group was mediocre. It didn't really give everyone a fair chance at it.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by SSS1365

The thing I didn't think was fair about the way it's been done in the past is the splitting up people into groups and having them only compete against people in the same group. As a result, there were a lot of really talented people who got cut because everybody in their group was good, while a few mediocre people got through because everyone in their group was mediocre. It didn't really give everyone a fair chance at it.
That's true. I remember last year when the first group to go was really good, and almost all of them would have been worthy to get through. Then there was group 2 with one good singer, a couple meh-singers, and everyone else was dreadful. (and the really good singer did not get through!) Switch a couple between Groups 1 & 2 and I guarantee some of the Group 1s would have made it through.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

It's finally here! --- Looking forward to this season, not sure if I'm a fan of the changes yet.... I'll have to see how they play out. I wish they would show more of the good auditions and less of the bad ones or at least put all the bad ones into one or two episodes. Don't get me wrong it's entertaining to see these people who think they have all the talent in the world and suck, but I tune in to see those that really do have what it takes to make it in the music business. Plus it never really seems too fair that some of the people get more exposure in the beginning episodes so the voters already remember their faces unlike those that just seem to appear in the top 100 and then the top 32. Since the voting is in the hands of the public, everyone knows that they are not just voting on talent and first impressions and all the little things are important too. The commercials keep pushing how this season has more talent than the previous 3 combined..... I hope they're right. Just going to have to wait and see.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Unregistered-

Oh good lord here we go again. I'm just happy that Hawai`i wasn't an audition spot again. I don't think I could go through another AI season like last year's again.

AI is like Monday Night Football at my bar. No one's allowed to sing karaoke until it's over.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Meh... I was all geared up for the premiere tonight... now I'm thinking I have better things to do. Especially since I was actually recognizing names from previous seasons... who were cut the first time around.

Anyone remember the guy from Stockton, Ca who auditioned last year, was decent, but got cut because Simon didn't like what he had to say about what he would do with $1,000,000? Well... he's going to Hollywood apparently. Or so I've heard.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

it's on!

this first girl (singing the star spangled banner) is going to give herself a hernia or shit her pants from singing so hard
Old 01-18-2005, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm there, dude!!!!

The first stop is DC!

YEAHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: In the deep south (and there's no place I'd rather be)
I already have a favorite. The guy who was just on (i think he was the first one they choose to go to hollywood). He's 27 and has a baby on the way so he sang "isn't she lovely" for his baby. He was kinda cute too.

I really didn't care for the music teacher that they picked. I just didn't like his voice.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Purple Storm was "so bizarrely dreadful."

I love Simon and his evil insults.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JupiterTC
Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
it's on!

this first girl (singing the star spangled banner) is going to give herself a hernia or shit her pants from singing so hard
Quite honestly, I thought she was constipated.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
Purple Storm was "so bizarrely dreadful."

I love Simon and his evil insults.
GAH! I heard that... I wish I hadn't. Ugh...

And WTF was up with Mary Roach? The voices in my still think you can't sing...

They did a montage of winners stepping out of the judging room and there was this REALLY cute guy that stepped out. But we didn't get to hear him sing. There was a quick glance of him, but if I remember right, he looked a little like Shawn Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood).