GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,381
0 members and 1,381 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2008, 11:04 PM
parrott

Bama Fraternities

I'm a senior in high school and have written about this sort of thing before but now i need specifics. I am very much like SECDomination in morals (quote below) but I will probably be attending the university of alabama in the fall. does anyone know of any fraternities there that dont get too crazy?

Quote:
Also, it is important to note that I am a very conservative Christian. Nobody back home drank underage, did any sort of drugs, and most definately didn't sleep around- everyone would know about it by church on Sunday morning!
That should give you an idea about how naive and clueless I really was, even after a year of college.
During that year, my high school friends and I had grown apart, and we didn't spend much of the summer together, so I was ready to rush, for sure.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
parrott

thanks man, sorry I really didn't word that question right. But if anyone goes to alabama and has an answer to my question feel free to send me a message
Old 01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Tau Omega.
They're dry, they have the highest GPA, and now they're going green.
http://media.www.cw.ua.edu/media/sto...-3138734.shtml
The daughter, a recent UA grad, claims they're all nerds. If so, good for them. I know several of their members and they are all fine young men from steady families.
BUT...you can still be a sober, upright member of most any other fraternity. Most of the crap you hear about fraternities is just that - crap.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Now if you were going to Florida, Fratty would be happy to give you answers. He is good with stereotyping.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
parrott

yea thats definitely good advice - i mean im not really opposed to drinking responsibly but when people start getting hammered that annoys me. anyway, is there an AGR equivalent at bama? bc I know the one at UT is great
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrott View Post
yea thats definitely good advice - i mean im not really opposed to drinking responsibly but when people start getting hammered that annoys me. anyway, is there an AGR equivalent at bama? bc I know the one at UT is great

you could visit the greeklife website at bama and learn what fraternities have chapters on campus.

do be aware that chapters vary from campus to campus-the top chapter at state u will not necessarily be the top chapter at u. of state.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Alpha Tau Omega.
They're dry, they have the highest GPA, and now they're going green.
http://media.www.cw.ua.edu/media/sto...-3138734.shtml
^^^That's pretty cool
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
you could visit the greeklife website at bama and learn what fraternities have chapters on campus.

do be aware that chapters vary from campus to campus-the top chapter at state u will not necessarily be the top chapter at u. of state.
Wrong school. It was PhiGam. You have a lot more discression,, except for your signature.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't say I know anything about Alabama fratnerities but I think it's really cool that you don't seem willing to compromise what your own beliefs/morals/etc are in order to join a group, so kudos to you & best of luck in your pursuit of Greek life
Old 01-25-2008, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: From Rockford IL but go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Send a message via AIM to jmagnus
Rush in the fall. Meet all the Greek orgs. Tell them your beliefs and see what their reaction is.

Once you meet the brothers you will probably be able to tell which ones you would fit in best with. Be careful though. I'm not going to lie, people can be very fake during rush events.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagnus View Post
Rush in the fall. Meet all the Greek orgs. Tell them your beliefs and see what their reaction is.

Once you meet the brothers you will probably be able to tell which ones you would fit in best with. Be careful though. I'm not going to lie, people can be very fake during rush events.
That won't cut it at a lot of Southern schools. Most top houses will basically be done putting their pledge classes together by the time formal rush roles around.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
That won't cut it at a lot of Southern schools. Most top houses will basically be done putting their pledge classes together by the time formal rush roles around.

That gives me the heeby geebies.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: From Rockford IL but go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Send a message via AIM to jmagnus
I don't know a whole lot about southern schools. I go to southern illinois (about 20 minutes from kentucky) but at times it feels like the deep south.

For example, when I went to a bar outside of town, I say a guy with a shirt that said "KKK - The original boys in the hood". I left pretty quickly when I saw that!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
yea i did spring rush for SAE at South Carolina, i just got accepted and am now a pledge, i know especially at Bama a lot of people know eachother from highschool and the local area. So you might want to look for someone you know really well who went there before you and pledged.

I got friends who are Kappa Sig there at Bama and i know connections to older brothers known previously was key because they stuck up for you on voting.

So in other words if you know a lot of people in one i'd go fall, if you don't then try and get to know them in your classes and go spring. It doesn't hurt to try fall though, if all else fails you are right where you started.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Call the greek life office. Ask for the VP of Recruitment. He can give you all the phone numbers and emails of the rush chairs for every house. Call them up or email them and most of them will invite you to at least one rush event. DON'T wait until the fall to start looking. You will end up in a university house...you'll know what I mean when you get here. ATO sounds like a good option for you, but there are tons of guys in most of the houses that sound like you. They just don't get the attention because they don't fit the stereotype the CW likes to portray of everyone.