GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,260
2 members and 2,258 guests
Cookiez17, MSKKG
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this Earp's Greek cousin???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul manolas View Post
Your answer has cover me only in half. I'm accepting that it has nothing to do with the "country", but why are you (not especially you) use the word "Greek" and not the word "X" or "Y".

Has this word a special meaning (?), is there something behind the word for you to use it (not especially you)?

I'm encounter the "Greek life system" term, to be used as you describe, for the first time here and now (for I'm nearly 30). So believe me, i found this use of the term very odd.

I never said that I know everything in the world and I have no means to criticize or do anything negative against this forum, I am here for the answer on the above said question.

Nevertheless, the title of this thread is "This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life". What do you expect me to think?
The names of most fraternities and sororities are represented by Greek letters. The specific reason(s) behind any particular combination of letters are generally only known to the members of a given fraternity or sorority. For example, the first such organization to adopt a Greek-lettered name was Phi Beta Kappa, now an honor society. Their name stands for the phrase "philosophia biou kybernetes" and was represented by the initials FBK.

You'll no doubt notice, however, the logo in the upper left corner of your screen states: "The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network."
Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

SAEalumnus, you're so nice.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul manolas
This answer have a good meaning and explains to me that :

“You use the term greek life system, because you use particular combination of (sometimes Greek) letters, which combination comes from Greek words and with these combinations you name fraternities and sororities at North American colleges and universities.”

Ok, acceptable.

I have notice, however, the logo on my upper left corner, but if you or anybody else visit a Greek website with a notice on its upper left, says “The Fraternity & Sorority American Chat Network.", would YOU understand that :

“We use the term american life system, because we use particular combination of (sometimes american) letters, which combination comes from American words and with these combinations we name fraternities and sororities at North Greek colleges and universities.”

If you do so, then let me die laughing…

Thank you for your time.

PS: AlfaGamaOmicron - xoxoxoxoxoxo
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ It's really not that serious.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
^^^ It's really not that serious.
Exactly. It just makes him feel better to pass judgment on something about which he has no possible means of understanding. Good for him.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul manolas View Post
I was looking for something and by chance i found this forum. I have become a member in order to ask :
1. What is "Greek life system"?

2. Why a college administrator wants to start a "Greek Life system"? - http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=103081

3. Has anything to do with soublaki - frape - malaka - arguing always and for whatever - stealing from the state - and all this "angelic thinks of chaos" that complies with the real "Greek life system" ?

I believe that I'm asking a fool question, so that's the reason for putting this question ... HERE

Να'στε καλά ρε μαστόρια ...

Hey!!! A Greek Troll!!! Awesome
Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

.... wtf?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

you put: Can I join a sorority if there isn't a chapter of it at my school? NO. answer really is yes, if the sorority allows, you can contact nationals and create a chapter at your school, you would then pledge to nationals, which would pretty much be the same process as other schools, also you can be a member of 2 organizations as long as one is social and the other is academic, ig if your in a medical sorority, you can also join a latin sorority, however during your pledge process for the second group you would have to be an inactive sister for the first one
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proismydeal View Post
you put: Can I join a sorority if there isn't a chapter of it at my school? NO. answer really is yes, if the sorority allows, you can contact nationals and create a chapter at your school, you would then pledge to nationals, which would pretty much be the same process as other schools, also you can be a member of 2 organizations as long as one is social and the other is academic, ig if your in a medical sorority, you can also join a latin sorority, however during your pledge process for the second group you would have to be an inactive sister for the first one
First off, who are you responding to? This thread hasn't been updated since February.

Second, the information that you've given may not be true in all organizations. Be sure to preface it with "In my organization..." or "Sometimes..." so that potential members will know this isn't always the case.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to StARRyNiGHtt
I just got intiated to delta delta delta!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I see the regular questions asked. But what if a person would like to be part of Top Ladies of Distinction. I see many of the members have previous family members who are part but is it able for a person who does not have any family members or friends be part of such a unique organization.

P.S. Be gentle.....i have read....and have seen the intensity this forum gives....
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary_lee View Post
I see the regular questions asked. But what if a person would like to be part of Top Ladies of Distinction. I see many of the members have previous family members who are part but is it able for a person who does not have any family members or friends be part of such a unique organization.

P.S. Be gentle.....i have read....and have seen the intensity this forum gives....
Your best bet is to visit their website. You should be able to get more information that way.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I did...but I did not find any information about membership...I was asking to see if there were any members to give me guidance...
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you....