GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,317
1 members and 1,316 guests
LaneSig

Old 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Florida A&M Student’s Death Turns Spotlight on Hazing

Before they even arrive at Florida A&M University here, the freshmen who are hand-picked for the famous marching band know all about the hazing, an unsanctioned tradition that goes back decades.
In the ultracompetitive atmosphere of the Marching 100, as the band is called, the verbal, emotional and physical pain that is doled out is viewed as an extra source of pride and strength among the relatively small number of band members who participate in hazing, former members say.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/us...?_r=2&emc=eta1
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Yes and anyone who has relationships with HBCUs or even seen Stomp the Yard knows that bands come with hazing. Even being part of the Bakery Club can come with hazing.

R.I.P. to this young man.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Okay, they punched him on the bus (a bus that was supposed to be locked) until he vomited and passed out. Damn shame.

I'm glad the band director has been fired and there are four separate investigations, including one by the Governor. Hazing (or some would call an extreme form of pledging) is considered part of band culture for some schools. It is probably the case that the band director knew about hazing (or some would call an extreme form of pledging) but was assuming that it did not involve that level of brutality. Then again, if being "jumped in" was a decades old practice, the band director probably knew about that.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

Here is a counter-example to the notion that hazing gets no attention outside the GLO context, or that organizations other than GLOs don't face across-the-board consequences for the actions of a few individuals. That band is going to be a whole different animal after this scandal -- as well it should be. Collegiate music was my whole life when I was in school, but if they have to scrap the band altogether to keep people from being KILLED, then I say so be it.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

For every band hazing death there are a lot more GLO hazing deaths. We deserve the attention we get. We earned it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

This is ridiculous. I'm absolutely shocked. As a former member of both high school and college marching bands, this saddens me. Marching band is a wonderful experience, and it's such a shame that the hazing culture goes right along with it at some schools. I won't share my personal experiences, but this is an issue that happens more than people thing. My prayers go out for this young man's family and friends.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Michele Martin of NPR ("Tell me More") ran a piece on hazing this Tuesday. The Florida A & M University incident was a launching point for this commentary. Hank Nuwer, author of several books on hazing was a guest on the show.

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/29/142895...unity-disgrace

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
The article in our local paper actually defended the band director (White), saying he has produced significant documentation that he tried to curb hazing and enlist other administrators in his cause.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

4 FAMU Students Expelled

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...s-1248063.html
Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yes and anyone who has relationships with HBCUs or even seen Stomp the Yard knows that bands come with hazing. Even being part of the Bakery Club can come with hazing.
R.I.P. to this young man.

My stepfather attended an HBCU and once told me that there was hazing to join the gospel choir and glee club. Crazy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
This is true (or at least is was at my HBCU).
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Is there a difference between hazing in traditionally black and traditionally white organizations? It seems as though, when something makes the news for a black org, it is generally physical violence, while the white orgs seem to make their pledges drink themselves to death.

Purely anecdotal, just thinking about what I've seen, but could be way off.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Banned

DBB, that is exactly what the data show. Of course, any one event may deviate from that pattern.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
DBB, that is exactly what the data show. Of course, any one event may deviate from that pattern.
Exactly. It is not only a GLO thing and, among the GLOs, it is not only a fraternity thing.

The Frat Swap videos (NinjaPoodle posted in the laugh thread) are a parody of what are considered some differences, generally speaking of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRNS0nk4fA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBDh...feature=relmfu
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

My father and uncle attended FAM more than 40 years ago; according to them the Marching 100 hazed harder than the frats back then.