GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,434
1 members and 1,433 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 07-10-2000, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb activities *get to know you*

hello everyone...

hope your summers are going well. i have a question, in preparation for fall rush (god help us all!):

what activities or get-to-know-you events will you be doing with your rushees? in the past, my chicks have done the m&m game which is, for those who haven't played before, a game in which you correspond the m&m colors to questions you'd like the rushees to answer. it's cute and a good way to see where thier interest lies within your group. any other ideas?

etienne
sigma alpha iota
*where my girls at? SAI!*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-10-2000, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

our first night of rush is philanthropy night. each rushee is "grabbed" by an active who she knows or has had a class with when she walks in the door. the actives just chat with her for about the first 15 minutes, and introduce her to more sisters. after that, everyone sits down on the floor and the president introduces herself & tells about our philanthropy. then everyone sits in circles of 6-8 (mixed w/ rushees & sisters) and each girl makes a little craft to benefit the philanthropy. of course we talk to the rushees while we're working, but the project helps to keep the mood light. this is a nice icebreaker & it helps the rushees to relax. the added activity kind of takes the pressure off of them because the focus is on the craft. the game you described sounds like a cute idea. what questions do you ask the girls?

southern_theta
Kappa Alpha Theta

[This message has been edited by southern_theta (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-2000, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Another one that mixes people up well is a search quiz. You come up with a written list of items, such as find the sister who had a birthday on May 12, who is wearing a headband, who drives a Jeep, etc. Usually about 10-20 questions. Everyone gets a sheet and a time limit to go meet people until they find the answers.
Old 07-11-2000, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

southern_theta

last rush, i was president, which meant i had to lead the questions. sisters and rushees both answered the questions. some were "what do you think you could bring to sigma alpha iota", "what was your motivation for being here", "who s your role model, or biggest influence, and why?"

we also have an interview session with each rushee on the third night of rush. this coming semester will only be the first semester we do this, so i'll let you know afterwards how it went. hope this helped a bit!

etienne
sigma alpha iota
Old 07-30-2000, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

etienne,

Everyone gave you really good ideas. One of the fun food get-to-know-you games we played was with bubblegum. I played it when I was a rushee ages upon ages ago.

There's this big bowl of bubblegum balls. Everyone sits in a circle and each person has a few seconds to say something about themselves and then grab a gumball and stick it in their mouths. Well, the "winner" (no prize, of course) was the person who had the most bubble gum balls at the end. Though perhaps the real winners were those who couldn't think of something to say quick enough and got out. Then their mouths weren't stuffed with 8 gumballs! Well, our tongues were all died different colors by the time we got finished, but it was fun and the sorority members could hear things that were most important to you.
Old 07-30-2000, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

mwedzi,

awesome idea! i'll have to pass that along to the rush chair this semester....

etienne