GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,389
1 members and 1,388 guests
FSUZeta

Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Your Favorite Recruitment Counselor Memories

In this thread, former (and current!) recruitment counselors (Pi Chi's, Gamma Chi's, Rho Gamma's, Rho Chi's...) are welcome to share their favorite memories of when they were disaffiliated RC's. Ill go first!

-NONE of my girls guessed my affiliation right...I mostly got ZTA and DG.

-HOWEVER, half of the girls guessed my IIX "twin" (aka my partner) correct because when we all went to dinner the night before the server knew her and accidentally outed her by asking "How is KD going?"

-One of my girls was crying and upset about her only pref party invite, but I talked her into going. After the party, she came up to me and thanked me for "making her go" because she fell in love with them. She made me cry

-Making crafts with my IIX twin . She was awesome! We were voted best IIX team for 2008

-Having to leave our IIX retreat early because of Hurricane Fay..boo!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

noone in my group guessed my affiliation and their guesses were all over the board, too.

one of my pnms came to me in tears, because she and her best friend had come to fsu planning on joining the same sorority(not any particular sorority, just whichever one they joined they would join together) and as the week progressed began to like different ones-my little pnm was ready to drop out because she didn't want to let go of the dream, but i was able to convince her to stay the course and see what developed. she did and ended up pledging her #1 choice, which was really the best fit for her, while her bff joined her #1 choice, which was a different sorority.

one of my roommates had a younger sister going thru recruitment. younger sister was not in my pnm group, but she saw and recognized me. she never gave away my affiliation and i did not speak to her during the entire recruitment.i had no idea what parties she was attending or who she liked. i was more than delighted to see her at our house on bid day!! she was a triple legacy to us and also a legacy to tri delta.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I was a rho chi my sophomore year because I thought it would be less of a time committment than being with the chapter during recruitment, and I was pre-med. Ha! Being a rho chi was probably more time intensive during recruitment week. My junior year I did recruitment with my chapter, but just didn't enjoy it as much as I did being a rho chi, and senior year I was on Panhellenic exec. so I was a rho chi again that year and had a blast.

My favorite memories:

- Watching my rushees choose my chapter in each round. This was back in the day when girls got their invite lists on paper, then they had to regret chapters as we went along. They'd meet with us one by one to get their invites, they'd circle the ones they'd be going back to, then we'd do a happy dance when the rushees we particularly loved chose us.

- Listening to the comments the girls would make after leaving each party, especially my chapter. I know we tell PNMs not to disclose bad things about specific chapters in their recruitment stories on GC, but I think chapters would find those comments very helpful! We can't be ostriches with our heads in the sand - problems don't just go away by ignoring them. Sometimes chapters aren't aware of some of the impressions they give off to outsiders, and my fellow rho chis and I always tried to bring that information back to our chapters after rush.

- I baked chocolate chip cookies for my rushees my senior year and they loved me for it. They had been at school just a couple of weeks and many were homesick, and those cookies were just like the ones their moms made. It was hilarious to watch these girls who were all dressed up in sundresses and designer clothes, perfect makeup, etc. chow down on cookies just minutes before their first parties.

- My senior year the rho chis had an off-campus retreat, and in the evening we all went out to the bars together. Then we took the party back to one of our rooms at the hotel. I have some hilarious photos from that night!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going back through all the old threads to read up on any questions I might have before I ask them for a second (or third, or fourth, or fifth) time.

This thread was, despite its shortness, phenomenal to me. I particularly loved the story twinkle555 wrote about "making" her rushee attend a party.

It's stories like these (and the stories of sisterhood I found in another thread) that brings tears to my eyes and makes me so glad I'm rushing this fall.

So are there any other happy stories, either from former IIXs or those who helped with recruitment? I'd love to hear them!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I credit my Rho Gamma's buddy with keeping me in recruitment. I was cut by a chapter I really liked, and maybe she was over-stepping her bounds by telling me that she thought I'd really fit in at Sigma Kappa, but hey, she was right.

I actually saw her at recruitment when I was a Rho Gamma. I was at her chapter's house, and I was talking to some sisters in the foyer, and I mentioned my Rho Gamma was from this chapter, and they were like, "Oh, she's down in the basement, go say hi!" So I did.

My PNMs were so easy. I was prepared for the worst. They all went to preference. One dropped out before ranking. One suicided and didn't get a bid, but she didn't seem upset. The drop out and the suicider were twins, and I think they probably wanted pledge together. The remaining 8 all got their first choice. I didn't have to deal with anyone that got cut from a chapter they loved.

One PNM in my group, actually, the only one that went Sigma Kappa, thought I was an AOII. There was another who was dying to know but had no idea. She claims she googled, but she obviously didn't find the picture of me in the Triangle. The rest knew, because they saw a scrapbook, and even though my face was covered, they were like, "You're the only Rho Gamma with short hair." Busted.

Last edited by violetpretty; 07-05-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Throwing an elephant apple (I think that's what people call 'em) at the back of the bus because the rushees wouldn't shut the fuck up during the quiet time before pref.

My rushees never really figured out where I was, but had guesses when the guys greeted me with shots when I got to the door.

Really getting to know some of 'em. I was a pretty good counselor to some of the idiots. Knowing based on who they were as to where they were going was also good stuff.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

The first year I was a Rho Chi, I had one woman who did not receive any inviations to Theme night. I took her into the office we had set aside for these situations and told her as gently as I could. She immediately began crying and crying and crying...huge sobs! I was so concerned fo her - she could hardly catch her breath she was crying so much. Turns out she was a transfer student and the same thing had happened the year before at her first college!!!!!!!!!! OMG! We were in there for 45 minutes before she was calm enough to leave. A few months later I found out that she pledged a group thru COB. I was so excited for her. The next year, she was PRESIDENT of that group! Am so glad they pledged her as she turned out to be a great member of the PH community.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

As the 'boss' of the Rho Chis at one school, I have several stories but this one didn't even involve the rushees. The last night before bids, we all went to one sorority's chapter room and we were worn out. The two Rho Chis whose chapter room we were using were sprawled out on a sofa with their eyes shut. When the PH secretary called the first one's name on the roll, she said something other than 'here'. The second one's name was then called and she said the same word.

She opened her eyes, jumped up, and started hitting the first girl with a pillow, yelling, "Muff! You made me do that!"

Being so tired + being in their own chapter room= the first girl responding to the roll call with their secret word.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

oh my!!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

at fsu when i was a rush counselor, for the first set of parties(ice waters) two r.c.'s groups were paired and stayed together for that set. i developed a rush crush on a girl in the other group going around with my group. after the first set of parties, our pnms went around on their own to the parties and we met with just twice a day-in the morning and then after the parties, so i didn't see my rush crush again. i did see her on bid day, and she was sobbing. she had gotten a bid from a sorority, but had been hoping for a different outcome. she talked to me about it, and i convinced her to go to bid day and give it a try. she did but ended up depledging. she was great friends with one of our pledges and would come over to out house often. i really enjoyed seeing her. the next year, she pledged our house. i was finished with school or i would have taken her as a little. love that girl!!