GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,526
1 members and 2,525 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 08-14-2007, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

You should encourage your daughter NOT to suicide...the few times I saw it happen in rush, it did not turn out in the PNM's favor. I was a Rho Chi during my jr. year at Alabama and saw many heartbroken girls come Bid Day. Remind your daughter that she is going through recruitment for a reason and to try to maximize her possibilities. Sure, rush is stressful, but it has such a great outcome!! She will not regret going through the process and pledging the house of her choice!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2007, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus, she got the maximum number of invites, so I don't understand why you would think about suiciding at this point in the game anyway. There's time to see how it plays out before you have to decide.

It's probably nerves, the heat and cat hair.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom View Post
I hate that this happens. Everytime I read a thread that starts with "I didn't know we needed recs" and I see it is for a school with a competitive rush, I just get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Clueless Also, I am so sorry for you and for your daughter.

I wish there was some way to put together and send out information to each PNM and their parents that honestly addressed things like recs. I hate that people either don't know or that they've been given bad information.
I'll never for the life of me understand why the Panhellenics at schools like LSU, UGA, and Bama continue to tell PNMs (and their parents) that "recs aren't neccessary" or that "the sororities are responsible for securing a rec for you."

To try and give the PNMs some insight, I made this post in the Recommendation Caution to PNMs thread about recs at competitive schools:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...8&postcount=95

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I'll never for the life of me understand why the Panhellenics at schools like LSU, UGA, and Bama continue to tell PNMs (and their parents) that "recs aren't neccessary" or that "the sororities are responsible for securing a rec for you."

To try and give the PNMs some insight, I made this post in the Recommendation Caution to PNMs thread about recs at competitive schools:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...8&postcount=95

I went to one of the schools mentioned and my chapter would release girls without recs after philanthropy day, unless we were so interested in her that we could secure her a rec from a local alum. However, some chapters are not like that and recs are not necessary....So I think that Panhellenic is just trying to encourage everyone to participate, whether they have "ties" to certain houses or not. Alumni in my hometown actually have a meeting for all PNMs to attend in the spring before they leave for school that tells them all they need to know about recs/attire, etc. Maybe this is something we all need to have in our respective cities so more young ladies know exactly what to expect and what is expected of them. I know there are lots of girls in my city that could benefit from this service!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

from a former uga rho chi....

She should really try to relax and try to enjoy the parties she is going to. It can be brutal getting cut, but you cannot suicide until after the pref parties and to already be thinking about it (they are in round 3 today?) while attending parties is really hurting her chances of a great experience.

Please try to at least encourage her to continue with an open mind. After two rounds she has only been at these houses for about 40 minutes, not even hour! Yes, she may be pretty sure some are not for her (and she could be right), but some of these may be and she just hasn't clicked with the right group.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs

Ahh, but think of the poor out of state folks (like we were) who flew down to visit the SEC school, were told that it is the sororities resp. to get a rec for you if they want you; then at the freshman camp, ask Panhel. the same question and get the same boldface lie answer; and furthermore ask the ditzy sales clerk at the school bookstore when you're buying your kid her first school t-shirt who was greek (note to self: if someone graduated 2 years ago and is now selling t-shirts at the school bookstore b/c she loved the college town so much she didn't want to move, she is not a good resource) but with her Crest whitened smile she bubbled out "oh no, don't worry, it's the sororities resp. to get you the rec." I don't know, maybe it's code for "don't let the Yankees know the scoop". And, keep in mind, the website for Greek Chat is not on any literature so we didn't know it existed.

I actually did go to the college website to search the message boards for info on sorority life and posted a query only to get a bunch of horrible x-rated comments about the Greek girls.

So, in our case she was darn lucky to go to 3 prefs. The "know it alls" talked her into suiciding and therefore she got no bid. She was COB'd later on but geez, as a Mom I'd hate to have to go thru this again.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My own daughter's rush is over, but she has many friends at UGA who are rushing as we speak. The two sound similar so I am going to tell you about our experience with recs. She attended the Panhell meeting in Atlanta that was held the spring of her Sr. year of high school. She came away with the impression that recs were desirable to have and that you should try to get them if possible. They even offered to help the girls secure recs in case they weren't able to get them on their own. However, we have a friend that is an SEC rush veteran and she told us that you really needed to get at least one per chapter. My daughter managed to get one per chapter in the end but it was a lot of work for her. A good friend who has a daughter at Penn State could not believe that we even needed any recs at all! Things really are different in the SEC.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I ordered a desk top oreck filter for around 500.00. I express shipped it but it won't get to her until Thursday. Hopefully she'll be okay til then. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

She didn't suicide today thank goodness. But sounds like her emotions are really getting the best of her. Hopefully pref's go well tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

same with my friend's D going to AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle07 View Post
My own daughter's rush is over, but she has many friends at UGA who are rushing as we speak. The two sound similar so I am going to tell you about our experience with recs. She attended the Panhell meeting in Atlanta that was held the spring of her Sr. year of high school. She came away with the impression that recs were desirable to have and that you should try to get them if possible. They even offered to help the girls secure recs in case they weren't able to get them on their own. However, we have a friend that is an SEC rush veteran and she told us that you really needed to get at least one per chapter. My daughter managed to get one per chapter in the end but it was a lot of work for her. A good friend who has a daughter at Penn State could not believe that we even needed any recs at all! Things really are different in the SEC.

I of course called my friend and told her about the recs yesterday and that they were important. She said when she called Arizona they laughed at her and said their rush is not at all like the "South" -- it is much more laid back so she was assured she did not need the recs. I sure hope she does not encounter anything different when she arrives as that would be disappointing! Had the same conversation with my friend whose D is going to Penn State too!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Tuesday's Update

First, let me say it's good to read the concerns that parents have for their daughter(s) during this week of Rush at UGA. Your comments are both encouraging and informative.

My daughter called today after getting her schedule; she was invited to 6 houses -- a combination of her top 6 and of the bottom 7-12 list. She was surprised at a couple of the cuts, but she was happy to be going back to those on her list too. I'm sure tonight's call will be interesting.

With the heat in the 99-100 degree range, it is not only stressful but also extremely tiresome. Not a great combination.

Like UGADad and others, we have been encouraging her to get lots of rest and drink lots of water.

UGA RUSH is Extremely competitive! I would recommend the local Panhel council to be brutely honest with parents and prospective recruits about to expect for Rush, from A-Z! Not with the intent to discourage but to insure understanding. No surprises or regrets.

I think these young ladies are extremely bright and intelligent; given the good, bad and ugly of what Rush is and can be, might allow for some of these girls to decide in advance whether the process is worth it to them or not.

The emotional stress from being rejected, as my daughter's roommate is experiencing is overwhelming. Having her self confidence blown out the door before school starts doesn't make a Momma or Dad feel too good either.

Oh... in response to one sorority being on probation. That is true. I believe they are limited to the number of recruits that they can bring in and are prohibited from having socials (the details may not be completely accurate with respect to what is allowed or not allowed). There are probably more restrictions, but I question whether or not this should be information that the recruits have.

Good luck to all the girls!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAMOM01 View Post
First, let me say it's good to read the concerns that parents have for their daughter(s) during this week of Rush at UGA. Your comments are both encouraging and informative.

My daughter called today after getting her schedule; she was invited to 6 houses -- a combination of her top 6 and of the bottom 7-12 list. She was surprised at a couple of the cuts, but she was happy to be going back to those on her list too. I'm sure tonight's call will be interesting.

With the heat in the 99-100 degree range, it is not only stressful but also extremely tiresome. Not a great combination.

Like UGADad and others, we have been encouraging her to get lots of rest and drink lots of water.

UGA RUSH is Extremely competitive! I would recommend the local Panhel council to be brutely honest with parents and prospective recruits about to expect for Rush, from A-Z! Not with the intent to discourage but to insure understanding. No surprises or regrets.

I think these young ladies are extremely bright and intelligent; given the good, bad and ugly of what Rush is and can be, might allow for some of these girls to decide in advance whether the process is worth it to them or not.

The emotional stress from being rejected, as my daughter's roommate is experiencing is overwhelming. Having her self confidence blown out the door before school starts doesn't make a Momma or Dad feel too good either.

Oh... in response to one sorority being on probation. That is true. I believe they are limited to the number of recruits that they can bring in and are prohibited from having socials (the details may not be completely accurate with respect to what is allowed or not allowed). There are probably more restrictions, but I question whether or not this should be information that the recruits have.

Good luck to all the girls!
I would certainly vote for this to be known to the recruits! I haven't heard anything about it but again it is information that they should be allowed to factor into their decision -- at least by the prefs round!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAMOM01 View Post
There are probably more restrictions, but I question whether or not this should be information that the recruits have.
I would personally be pissed if I got recruited into a group on Social Pro without knowing it...at least those rushing should be informed and be able to make the decision as to whether that particular house is worth it.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I would personally be pissed if I got recruited into a group on Social Pro without knowing it...at least those rushing should be informed and be able to make the decision as to whether that particular house is worth it.

I'm with you! My daughter was told earlier this summer about this particular sorority and their situation. I will say that she really liked the girls and might would have continued putting them on her list but didn't due to the circumstances.

I also think that might be why their dues were less than the others.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay. Who is on social probation and how does anyone know it?

While it might be true and fair to disclose it to the girls, it also might be rumor and tent talk, getting girls to discount a group that isn't really facing this issue.

What's the story? What do you know?