GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,014
2 members and 1,012 guests
LarryByday

Old 04-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is funny.

I think that for the most part we all agree.

It's just that everyone wants to get pissed off at everyone else before they read their messages.

I don't think that one person has said that forced integration is a good thing.

I don't think that anyone has said that IFC/Panhellenic organizations should be going out of their way to target minorities during recruitment.

I'm not sure if there's much left to argue about in this thread unless it's simply for the sake of argument.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2004, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Words of reason

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
This thread is funny.

I think that for the most part we all agree.

It's just that everyone wants to get pissed off at everyone else before they read their messages.

I don't think that one person has said that forced integration is a good thing.

I don't think that anyone has said that IFC/Panhellenic organizations should be going out of their way to target minorities during recruitment.

I'm not sure if there's much left to argue about in this thread unless it's simply for the sake of argument.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Hit it right on the head! If I may introduce a famous fellow Masonic brother into the discussion? Perhaps what he wrote could make some sense about diversity in an organization.

THE MOTHER LODGE - by Rudyard Kipling

There was Rundle, Station Master,
An' Beazeley of the Rail,
An' 'Ackman, Commissariat,
An' Donkin' o' the Jail;
An' Blake, Conductor-Sergeant,
Our Master twice was 'e,
With 'im that kept the Europe-shop,
Old Framjee Eduljee.

Outside – "Sergeant! Sir! Salute! Salaam!"
Inside – "Brother", an' it doesn't do no 'arm.
We met upon the Level an' we parted on the Square,
An' I was Junior Deacon in my Mother-Lodge out there!

We'd Bola Nath, Accountant,
An' Saul the Aden Jew,
An' Din Mohammed, draughtsman
Of the Survey Office too;
There was Babu Chuckerbutty,
An' Amir Singh the Sikh,
An' Castro from the fittin'-sheds,
The Roman Catholick!

We 'adn't good regalia,
An' our Lodge was old an' bare,
But we knew the Ancient Landmarks,
An' we kep' 'em to a hair;
An' lookin' on it backwards
It often strikes me thus,
There ain't such things as infidels,
Excep', per'aps, it's us.

For monthly, after Labour,
We'd all sit down and smoke
(We dursn't give no banquits,
Lest a Brother's caste were broke),
An' man on man got talkin'
Religion an' the rest,
An' every man comparin'
Of the God 'e knew the best.

So man on man got talkin',
An' not a Brother stirred
Till mornin' waked the parrots
An' that dam' brain-fever-bird;
We'd say 'twas 'ighly curious,
An' we'd all ride 'ome to bed,
With Mo'ammed, God, an' Shiva
Changin' pickets in our 'ead.

Full oft on Guv'ment service
This rovin' foot 'ath pressed,
An' bore fraternal greetin's
To the Lodges east an' west,
Accordin' as commanded
From Kohat to Singapore,
But I wish that I might see them
In my Mother-Lodge once more!

I wish that I might see them,
My Brethren black an' brown,
With the trichies smellin' pleasant
An' the hog-darn (1) passin' down;
An' the old khansamah (2) snorin'
On the bottle-khana (3) floor,
Like a Master in good standing
With my Mother-Lodge once more!

Outside – "Sergeant! Sir! Salute! Salaam!"
Inside – "Brother", an' it doesn't do no 'arm.
We met upon the Level an' we parted on the Square,
An' I was Junior Deacon in my Mother-Lodge out there!

(1) Cigar lighter.
(2) Butler.
(3) Pantry.

(Brother Kipling was made a Mason in India; it was quite common to see men of different nationalities, social and religious standings 'meeting upon the level and parting upon the square'; such distinctions were left outside the lodge room door.)

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 04-02-2004, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

TO many facts...

To many facts...hahaha...paper facts/personal facts. To many facts to go with my statement. Do your own research if you don't believe me on the numbers. I know men and women (family/friends/brothers) from the Divine 9. My Frat. started the Divine 9, and that's fact too. Don't believe me do your own research. I have nothing to prove because I having nothing to loose with you.
-Heath
F&AM; PHA-Cedars #64
Phi Kappa Tau

*by the way what would I need to prove? Oh, take more personal attacks on me please...call me an idiot...for having different beliefs than yours.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: TO many facts...

Quote:
Originally posted by phamason2003
To many facts...hahaha...paper facts/personal facts. To many facts to go with my statement. Do your own research if you don't believe me on the numbers. I know men and women (family/friends/brothers) from the Divine 9. My Frat. started the Divine 9, and that's fact too. Don't believe me do your own research. I have nothing to prove because I having nothing to loose with you.
-Heath
F&AM; PHA-Cedars #64
Phi Kappa Tau

*by the way what would I need to prove? Oh, take more personal attacks on me please...call me an idiot...for having different beliefs than yours.
damn, you are really stupid aren't you?

http://www.nphchq.org/about.htm

no one believes any of the garbage you say.

unless you're talking about the masons....and no, the mason's didn't start the pan.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Starang21 you need to chill out; brother, the Masons started all Frats and Sors. Even one of your founders was a brother (MASON) same with mine and a bunch more orgs. Know your own history, also all Frats. rituals are sim. to Masonry. I WONDER WHY>>???<<<
-Heath
F&AM (PHA)
PHI TAU

*Don't be mad at me for showing you some light*
Old 04-02-2004, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Starang21 you need to chill out; brother, the Masons started all Frats and Sors. Even one of your founders was a brother (MASON) same with mine and a bunch more orgs. Know your own history, also all Frats. rituals are sim. to Masonry. I WONDER WHY>>???<<<
-Heath
F&AM (PHA)
PHI TAU

Now you're going to be shown some light. Not all fraternities were started by masons, and most Era I fraternities' rituals have little, if any masonic influence. Masonic influence is a characteristic of Era II fraternities.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Attractive#7 Send a message via Yahoo to Attractive#7
my 25 cents

We have 14 founders...the most recognized of our founders was a Mason...Frank Reed Horton...with that being said, back to the orignal post on integration.

All of my founders were white. I am of African descent. How do I feel being a woman of African descent in a Fraternity founded by White Men? I love my fraternity and it is really diverse. I attend an HBCU. Everyone in my chapter looks like me. I love that. I love being around my own people and chilling with people of my own ethnicity. When I step off of my campus and attend conferences, sectionals, regionals, or just fellowship with people from other chapters, I love it. I love sharing a common goal and bond with people whos outer appearance looks nothing like mine; but inside we have the same blue and gold blood running through our veins with the desire of service in our heart. I love the fact that my frat is so diverse. I love being able to say I am a member of the single most representative undergraduate intercollegiate organization in the United States of America. I love the fact that Bill Clinton is my frat brother and that he pledged in undergrad at Georgetown University *Mu Alpha Chapter*

With all that being said...do you. If you wanna be down with something different...that's cool. If you wanna do what traditionally others have done that's cool too. Just remember you are the one that has to live with the decision. So you have to make yourself happy first.

Last edited by Attractive#7; 04-02-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
-Heath
F&AM (PHA)
PHI TAU

there are masons in all of our organizations, but none of that has anything to do with the masons specifically starting the pan.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Attractive#7 Send a message via Yahoo to Attractive#7
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Look at you!!!

You're like Rosa Parks. It's cute.

-Rudey
What did you mean by this statement?
Old 04-03-2004, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
yeah, I didn't get it either.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:39 AM
Banned

Black GLOs are black. See that's what the letter B stands for in BGLO. It's not predominantly black...because then that would be PBGLO.

As for the Rosa Parks comment...I would be really wasting my time trying to explain this. If you can't grasp an idea so simple as this, move on. I won't be playing tutor tonight.

You used to be able to buy tokens in NYC for a buck 50. This kid is nothing but a buck 50 token. The kind of token that isn't even sold anymore because the system is incompatible with the token.

People talk about the shame of blackface. I want to talk about the shame of people riding on another people. I want to talk about the John Kerry's who pretend they're Jewish and talk about the Jewish community, the Bill Clintons and the Starangs that need to take 2 steps back, right out of the black community's arse. These are the kind of people that have nothing to give...never talk about their own people, their own history, their own community and pride. They piggyback off another peoples and cheapen things.

-Rudey
--In the end they are useless bits of metal called tokens that dont' get accepted by the machine
Old 04-03-2004, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to adpijonesy Send a message via Yahoo to adpijonesy
Now that this topic has gotten completely off track...

I'm an AA in a "traditionally white" GLO- and I was the first in my chapter, though there were other minorities. I didn't go through formal recruitment and I my first year I said I'd be Independent for life. My sorority was absolutely awesome on my campus though and it the girls were the people I knew from my leadership positions and involvement- and they asked me to come out to informal recruitment. The only decision I ever regretted was that I didn't join sooner.

Living in what we jokingly call "lower alabama" at the time, some people thought it was weird when they saw me out with all of my sisters- but I love my chapter and my sorority and I did what was right for me.

Thats all we can do in life and until we stop trying to force our preconceptions on each other, BGLO and "white" GLO and people in general will find problems everywhere we look.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Black GLOs are black. See that's what the letter B stands for in BGLO. It's not predominantly black...because then that would be PBGLO.

As for the Rosa Parks comment...I would be really wasting my time trying to explain this. If you can't grasp an idea so simple as this, move on. I won't be playing tutor tonight.

You used to be able to buy tokens in NYC for a buck 50. This kid is nothing but a buck 50 token. The kind of token that isn't even sold anymore because the system is incompatible with the token.

People talk about the shame of blackface. I want to talk about the shame of people riding on another people. I want to talk about the John Kerry's who pretend they're Jewish and talk about the Jewish community, the Bill Clintons and the Starangs that need to take 2 steps back, right out of the black community's arse. These are the kind of people that have nothing to give...never talk about their own people, their own history, their own community and pride. They piggyback off another peoples and cheapen things.

-Rudey
--In the end they are useless bits of metal called tokens that dont' get accepted by the machine
obviously, in your little world...you've never seen a non-black member of the pan. you must have really put some kind of thought into this post. it's a damn shame that you wasted minutes of your life trying to come up with this. evidently numbnuts...you haven't been able to prove any of your bogus claims that's why you're the laughing stock of GC. the point behind the rosa parks comment was minute and irrelevant. you're just mad because you've had your ass verbally kicked so many times by me that you're trying to piss me off by calling me a token.....or say that i'm trying to cheapen the black experience. dumbass, i speak on NPHC issues, because guess what...Iota is a member of the NPHC. lol, like i said..who knew i was asian? damn, i keep forgetting i've talked about the asian community on here when it's come up. my bad, i guess i'm not allowed to talk about racism and prejudice since i'm not black, huh? using your insignificant intellect, that would be the only course of action. damn, call the news vans.

waiting for the response: "well, uhh....you're not black, and you're a token. and i'm uhh....jewish, and i'm not a token..so there!!!!!! and i put tokens in the machine, and you'll never be accepted because you're a token!!!!!"

dude you're a grade A bitch.

Last edited by starang21; 04-03-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Hmmmmmm, I thing that WGLO and BGLO is usually used to distinguish between those that do not know between the NIC, PHC, NHPC, and the newere MHPCers.

WGLOs dont have any A A in them and vise versa?

Dont MPHCers have a lot of different races in them?

Do LPHC or APHC Organizatins have only thos e of the So Called Genere of those groups, Dont think so!

Rudey, Please remove your head out of your hershey highway, if you do not mind! You keep making yourself look more and more like a fool! You do your Fraternity and yourself injustice!

LX Z # 1
Alumni