GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,165
3 members and 1,162 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib

Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post

Disclaimer: I don't hate minorities (I am one) and I don't have an issue with heavy-set people (I have many heavy-set family members).
Oh, geez...just STOP! Even after people told you how these "disclaimers" make you look worse, you still keep posting them(?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post

Whoever said I need to broaden my perspective: Thanks, but I have read those threads. I mean come on. There are what? 5? I didn't post in them before because I honestly didn't have anything to add.
That was me, and I said I encouraged you to read the other threads if you were interested in broadening your perspective (because from your posts it was clear that you didn't have an understanding of why people were upset about this competition and thought it was all about race). I didn't say you should post in them, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing that up. Since you say you read the threads, do you understand what others are saying now?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Don't get me wrong, the more I watch the ZTA show (the 2008 Matrix performance was better than the 2010 one), the more I think it was an overall tight routine.
Good. So I wasn't crazy in thinking it was an overall tight routine, which is why I defended them. But I now understand the other ramifications (thanks to you and others) behind folx' consternation. It really isn't about hating. It is about knowing.

So who should really step up the game? SPRITE!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Good. So I wasn't crazy in thinking it was an overall tight routine, which is why I defended them. But I now understand the other ramifications (thanks to you and others) behind folx' consternation. It really isn't about hating. It is about knowing.

So who should really step up the game? SPRITE!

There are a lot of "issues" beyond stepshow regulations that people have raised. Some "issues" have been raised more eloquently than others. Some "issues" just seem more like anger and fear of "intruders." So, I can't keep up with it all.

I don't think anyone, who isn't just being mean spirited, thinks the overall routine sucked (regardless of where ZTA got it from).

The "show" goes beyond the routine and that's one of the critiques from a stepshow standard, as has been pointed out in the other thread and by mccoyred in this thread.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AU_ZTA86 Send a message via Yahoo to AU_ZTA86
First of all, I am by no means any 'Step' expert nor would I claim to be but I have a couple of questions:
1. Are 'steps' trademarked??
2. Is there a rule against re-using a tride and true step routine?? Are those trademarked as well??

I suspect (and it may be a incorrect suspecion) that had an NPHC org won using what may have been deemed as taking steps from another org/campus, that this would not be an issue.

I congratulate my Epsilon sisters for their effort and thank the AKAs for introducing them to stepping (FACT) 16 years ago. If those orgs didn't want to be inclusive in the event then they should not have opened the opportunity up.

JMHO.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_ZTA86 View Post
First of all, I am by no means any 'Step' expert nor would I claim to be but I have a couple of questions:
1. Are 'steps' trademarked??
2. Is there a rule against re-using a tride and true step routine?? Are those trademarked as well??

I suspect (and it may be a incorrect suspecion) that had an NPHC org won using what may have been deemed as taking steps from another org/campus, that this would not be an issue.

I congratulate my Epsilon sisters for their effort and thank the AKAs for introducing them to stepping (FACT) 16 years ago. If those orgs didn't want to be inclusive in the event then they should not have opened the opportunity up.

JMHO.
It wouldn't be an issue because the D9 organizations don't use other organizations' steps (unless it's a tribute step). While the moves aren't trademarked, it's common knowledge that certain orgs use certain moves.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
Oh, geez...just STOP! Even after people told you how these "disclaimers" make you look worse, you still keep posting them(?!)

That was me, and I said I encouraged you to read the other threads if you were interested in broadening your perspective (because from your posts it was clear that you didn't have an understanding of why people were upset about this competition and thought it was all about race). I didn't say you should post in them, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing that up. Since you say you read the threads, do you understand what others are saying now?

Who in the hell are you? Nobody ever told me that my "disclaimers" make me look worse, so maybe you should just keep your opinions to yourself. You may not like what I have to say, but I don't really respect much of what you say, either. I know you think you're someone special, but you're not. Maybe if you had something of interest to contribute every now and then, other than bitching about what someone else had to say-then I'd give a damn what you thought.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Who in the hell are you? Nobody ever told me that my "disclaimers" make me look worse, so maybe you should just keep your opinions to yourself. You may not like what I have to say, but I don't really respect much of what you say, either. I know you think you're someone special, but you're not. Maybe if you had something of interest to contribute every now and then, other than bitching about what someone else had to say-then I'd give a damn what you thought.
Wow. Overreact, much?

Your "Some of my best friends are..." lines were disclaimers, and several people did say that they discounted your posts after reading those lines.

And LatinaAlumna has contributed plenty. There was nothing wrong with her advising you (and others who are blissfully unaware of stepping, shows, etc) to read the other threads so you could grasp WHY some people are upset.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
It wouldn't be an issue because the D9 organizations don't use other organizations' steps (unless it's a tribute step). While the moves aren't trademarked, it's common knowledge that certain orgs use certain moves.
Out of ignorance, is it commonly know as an org what steps an org uses at each campus that they are represented at? Surely their is some variety and customization for the environment!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Out of ignorance, is it commonly know as an org what steps an org uses at each campus that they are represented at? Surely their is some variety and customization for the environment!
Most of the non-NIC/NPC organizations aren't that chapter-focused, so yes, people know about the signature steps.

Yes, the shows will have some variety, but they still have their signature moves (Kappas are going to shimmy, Omegas are going to hop, etc).

Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are incorrect and most of what you said in your post has been discussed in these threads. Try reading them.

Quote:
...and thank the AKAs for introducing them to stepping (FACT) 16 years ago.
Did you think you were introducing this to us? If so, read the threads.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are incorrect and most of what you said in your post has been discussed in these threads. Try reading them.

Did you think you were introducing this to us? If so, read the threads.
No need to be nasty. We don't all have time to crawl through every single thread.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nobody ever told me that my "disclaimers" make me look worse....
I did.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
No need to be nasty. We don't all have time to crawl through every single thread.
Either read up on it in these threads or stay on the sidelines.

That's what I try to do when I comment on GLO topics that I don't know much about, and GCers politely tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I did.
Oh, that's right. Yep, still don't care what you, KnightShadow or LatinaAlum think. I said what I thought. I think ZTA won an award and people need to get over it. I say, good for ZTA.

By beating a dead horse, this seems very childish. You don't like that an NPC won the award. Oh, well. They did. I'm very happy for them and think they deserved it. Hopefully next year, my sorority learns how to step as well as the ladies of Zeta, in order to be in the running for this award, as well.

I don't care what people think about this: Good for You ZTA!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, that's right. Yep, still don't care what you, KnightShadow or LatinaAlum think. I said what I thought. I think ZTA won an award and people need to get over it. I say, good for ZTA.

By beating a dead horse, this seems very childish. You don't like that an NPC won the award. Oh, well. They did. I'm very happy for them and think they deserved it. Hopefully next year, my sorority learns how to step as well as the ladies of Zeta, in order to be in the running for this award, as well.

I don't care what people think about this: Good for You ZTA!
Several parts of this post show that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Good luck with getting the "step award."