GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 892
0 members and 892 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNYC2 View Post
word, and all the Latino orgs, as well as the other black non-nphc orgs also(i.e. Maliks, Groove Phi Groove, Swing Phi Swing, etc.)...

We definitely have to make our presence known....

Lets not forget about the Gammas (Sigma Lambda Gamma), Betas(Sigma Lambda Beta)
<[both the SLG and SLB are in Firm Fam (Phirm Pham) with the Zeta's and Sigmas ]

and we can make mention of the Lambdas.. SLU's, and Cussies....
Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok...
Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

lol...rannnnnndoommmmmm.....

That is the tackiest and wackest advertisement that I've seen in a minute.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Our sign is the symbol for our mascot, el coqui....the guy in the middle is ODPHi.....
Old 08-14-2008, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ What chapter (ODPhi) is that?

Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
lol...rannnnnndoommmmmm.....

That is the tackiest and wackest advertisement that I've seen in a minute.
Yeah, really...

And 1990? Lol.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
Yeah, really...

And 1990? Lol.
They're one of the larger LGLOs out there, even though they were founded so recently. They have 100+ chapters so far.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
They're one of the larger LGLOs out there, even though they were founded so recently. They have 100+ chapters so far.
I never heard of Theta Nu Xi until I came to GC, and I think it's pretty impressive how they've expanded across the country since their founding in 1997.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's cool. Sorry if I came off as a jackass, didn't mean it that way. I just find it hard to believe I can be older than a reputable national organization. Not saying that they're not reputable, but they seem to be an exception.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I never heard of Theta Nu Xi until I came to GC, and I think it's pretty impressive how they've expanded across the country since their founding in 1997.
I'd met a handful at another university and wasn't aware of who they were. When I came to GC, though, I was also surprised at how large they were (in relation to their founding date).

Last edited by knight_shadow; 08-14-2008 at 04:28 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
That's cool. Sorry if I came off as a jackass, didn't mean it that way. I just find it hard to believe I can be older than a reputable national organization. Not saying that they're not reputable, but they seem to be an exception.
My post was more of an FYI than anything. I wasn't trying to scream "OMGEEEE Don't talk bad about them!!" I'll leave it to Gammas to defend themselves.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^ What chapter (ODPhi) is that?
It is MSU (Missouri State University) ODPhi Colony. They just got here the Spring of 2007. Actually I know the 7 founding fathers personally. The girl in the picture is my LS and we were all online at the same time while the guys did their founders line.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that I remember it, that pic was taken at their house.......it was the after party to our probate!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Let me preface this email by saying that it is not my intent to flame anyone or start a war, this is simply MY opinion. Now that I have probably put people on the defensive, let's move on.

I often hear people say that their handsigns are "very important" to their history, purpose, etc., and while I can think of an instance or two where that might be the case (example follows), most of the time it just seems like "the cool thing to do".

I can see a handsign being important for secrecy reason. Let's say your organization was formed out of secrecy and solidarity, where your very existance was hidden for very real and practical reasons (cultural issues, prohibition, etc.). You might had a handsign that is "hidden in plain site" where if someone was standing in a crowd and they used it, you could pick them out, and know that that person was "one of yours".

In which case, the handsign would be very secret, never used where people could "catch" on (i.e., not in a group photo where everyone was doing it).

I have heard of soldiers doing handsigns in photos/videos to show that they are being held against their will, or to send some sort of message to those viewing it.

Outside of those types of situations, in my opinion, a handsign simply becomes an accessory. Not saying that accessories are bad, but it then loses any sense of a "reason" to do it other than for the sake of "doing it". If you are doing it just because it's "cool" or "cute", then admit that it's the case. If it's truly for "secrecy" or ritual reasons, I would think a member would want to protect and respect it, and therefore not "flashing" it everywhere.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Let me preface this email by saying that it is not my intent to flame anyone or start a war, this is simply MY opinion. Now that I have probably put people on the defensive, let's move on.

I often hear people say that their handsigns are "very important" to their history, purpose, etc., and while I can think of an instance or two where that might be the case (example follows), most of the time it just seems like "the cool thing to do".

I can see a handsign being important for secrecy reason. Let's say your organization was formed out of secrecy and solidarity, where your very existance was hidden for very real and practical reasons (cultural issues, prohibition, etc.). You might had a handsign that is "hidden in plain site" where if someone was standing in a crowd and they used it, you could pick them out, and know that that person was "one of yours".

In which case, the handsign would be very secret, never used where people could "catch" on (i.e., not in a group photo where everyone was doing it).

I have heard of soldiers doing handsigns in photos/videos to show that they are being held against their will, or to send some sort of message to those viewing it.

Outside of those types of situations, in my opinion, a handsign simply becomes an accessory. Not saying that accessories are bad, but it then loses any sense of a "reason" to do it other than for the sake of "doing it". If you are doing it just because it's "cool" or "cute", then admit that it's the case. If it's truly for "secrecy" or ritual reasons, I would think a member would want to protect and respect it, and therefore not "flashing" it everywhere.
Well, it has been my experience that there ARE secret hand symbols that some GLO's have. I know that my sorority has a secret handsake that we is for members only....obviously. But hand symbol, or "sign", to my sorority (I wont speak for/about anyone elses) is shown with pride. When you see us holding up our sign in pictures or throwing it up while strolling, it isnt to be flashy, it is a part of our history, a gift from our founding madres, that we cherish present any time and any way tha we can. It isnt secret. It is public knowledge, and it is a way for other Greeks when they see it to say, "Oh, she's Sigma Alpha Chi". It can serve the same purpose paraphernalia does, it is a way to set ourselves apart from other sororities.

I do not do my sign to be flashy, it is a part of my history as a member of Sigma Alpha Chi that I have a great deal of pride for. Every time I show my sign, especially when I am with my sisters, I am paying omage to that history and to the 7 strong Latina women who left that piece of history.