GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,787
0 members and 1,787 guests
No Members online

Old 04-23-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing a LGLO

I know greeks don't really talk about the pledging process. However, I am curious about joining a LGLO. Recently I joined and interest group and really enjoy it. I attend all the events including their semi-formal.

While at the semi-formal I got to talking with a brother from a LGLO on my campus. He told me and my friend that he was hazed during his new member process. He also told me about a sorority oncampus that hazed/ had a rigourous process that all the girls dropped. How ever he omitted the name of the sorority.

How do I know if it is the one I want to pledge?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'd assume that if you're in an interest group that you're in the process of trying to become a colony? If you are part of th founding group, who gets to haze you?

I pesonally wouldn't join a group that hazed. If I found that my chapter (of which I am an alum) hazed, I'd make them wish I wasn't an alum of their chapter

It's up to you though. Find a group that matches what you value.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-24-2004, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Some LGLOs use the term "interest group" to refer to ladies/men who are potential prospective members...but not yet officially part of the new membership process. The term can also be used to identify a group of women/men who are in the process of founding a new chapter.

Anon.20: I would do lots of research on the sorority you are interested in. For one thing, I am not sure I would trust the comments of someone who would be so "open" about his own process. Had you taken his comments (be they the truth or just an exageration on his part because some people think it's "cool" to talk about how "hard" their process was) to university officials, his organization would probably be in major trouble.

Find out about the sorority's position on hazing. You can contact a national officer if you want to ask questions about the policy. I wouldn't rely too much on what you hear around campus.

Good luck to you!

Edited to Add: It's a good idea to make sure you are using the correct terminology for the organization you are interested in. Many of us do not use the term "rush," but some do.