GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,431
1 members and 1,430 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Sisterhood Retreat - Anything and Everything!

Hey ladies (and gents)!

I'm the sisterhood chair for my chapter, and have started planning this fall's sisterhood retreat. I'm interested in hearing EVERYTHING that you have as far as things that you have done/ideas you have. Fun, serious, educational... anything! We have lots of time on our hands, and while a lot of it will just be hanging out I am supposed to make it structured. Give me everything you've got!

Thanks guys! <3
Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

We usually did an ice breaker game or two, just to get everyone warmed up. If it was after the break, we would start by saying one good thing that had happened on break, and one thing we wanted to happen in that term. Then we would usually do some programming, something like etiquette or physical fitness, something that's light and fun. We also had a few hours to do what we liked, which was nice to catch up with people. We always ended with snowballs (a few different names for it are out there), where everyone crumples a piece of paper with their name on it and throws it into th e middle. Then everyone grabs someone else's sheet, and you write something you like or admire about that person. If you have a larger chapter, you could break into pledge classes/family trees/etc. to break it up. And then we finally had a quick goal session for the chapter- made and discussed goals for recruitment/COR, philanthropy, sisterhood, academics, whatever. PM me for more suggestions if you want!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

The chapter I advise does fun things...like they have it at one of those "bounce house" places with huge inflatables. It's combined with a slumber party. They do the ice breaking things, too, but they keep it pretty fun and social.

This past spring, they did a "round the circle" sharing after the senior celebration, and it went on and on and on and on (some girls teary-eyed, thanking individual members, etc.). Multiply 100 girls times 2 minutes of talking each, and you get the picture. That's over 3 hours. I like the idea of keeping it short...the snowball idea limits the sharing to something short that's pre-written and read. Breaking up into smaller groups is good, too, but I'd try to mix it up so you don't have sisters in their "cliques" or family groups. You want them to bond with other sisters, too.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it's important to identify any issues going on in the chapter and address those while the chapter is all together.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

One ice breaker I have used often that seems to work is the 'Chain Game.' The first sister gets up and starts talking about herself & what she likes, then someone links u with her based with something the have in common. At that point the next girl starts telling about herself, and the next girl links up when she hears something they have in common. Example:

My name is Susie and I am a freshman marketing major from Charleston. (Link up) my name is Anne and I am also a marketing major, but I am from Atlanta. I worked at an ice cream parlor after school when I was in high school. (Link up) I am Jamie, and I also worked at an ice cream parlor after school but in my hometown of Augusta. I have three sisters at home. (Link up) My name is Sandy and I also have three siblings, but two of mine are brothers... Etc., etc. The girls can physically link arms as they find commonalities. It leads on and on as the group grows, because only one person can link per fact, so the girls have to share more and more as they go. It is really a lot of fun!