GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,544
1 members and 1,543 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

How insulting is Colored (vs. African American)

My neighbor is 83 years old and he uses Colored as his default term for African-Americans. At least to me, he doesn't seem to use it insultingly (for example if he refers to someone as a colored girl, then you can guarantee the person is below age 20). and he talks with a great deal of affection of the colored man who worked at the service station in his home town who taught him how to fix cars. (Note, this would have been the early 1940s). A year or so after his second wife died (2003), he started dating one of his wife's caregivers, an African-american woman now in her late 50's. While my neighbor broke it off about a year after he started, it was because he didn't want to be a burden to her if his health failed and they are still friends.

What are the general feelings that people have on my neighbor's use of the term Colored?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

i feel like, at 83, "colored" is what was used growing up. i mean, "colored" is probably better than other terms he heard coming up.

if someone called me colored... they would get the blankest stare. its up there with calling an Asian "oriental."
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
i feel like, at 83, "colored" is what was used growing up. i mean, "colored" is probably better than other terms he heard coming up.

if someone called me colored... they would get the blankest stare. its up there with calling an Asian "oriental."
Well...better "colored" than the other word.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Is this a serious question about an elderly man? LOL.

You just worry about not using "colored."
Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a co-worker who prefers to be referred to as a "woman of color" than as an African American.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
My neighbor is 83 years old and he uses Colored as his default term for African-Americans. At least to me, he doesn't seem to use it insultingly (for example if he refers to someone as a colored girl, then you can guarantee the person is below age 20). and he talks with a great deal of affection of the colored man who worked at the service station in his home town who taught him how to fix cars. (Note, this would have been the early 1940s). A year or so after his second wife died (2003), he started dating one of his wife's caregivers, an African-american woman now in her late 50's. While my neighbor broke it off about a year after he started, it was because he didn't want to be a burden to her if his health failed and they are still friends.

What are the general feelings that people have on my neighbor's use of the term Colored?

It isn't insulting. Is the NAACP insulting? Who came up with the name National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Any term can be used disparagingly.

While the term "colored" has never offended me (and one of my mentors actually prefers the term), I imagine that I would be offended if the intent was to insult.

I mean.... I've been insulted when someone said "You know how you Washingtonians are."
Old 06-30-2009, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Whites tend to respond with this cliche`.
Whites or idiots?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Whites or idiots?
Whites.

I think that's more about being unaware and literal than being an idiot.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If he is 83 then that is just what he is used to. I mean the NAACP is a good example as much as you disagree. When the NAACP was founded the term colored was the common way to refer to an African American and it was probably the same for him. Hell for that time period Colored was probably progressive for him to use.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I think idiots. I would argue that most whites who have thought about it have figured it out on their own before they make the argument.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think idiots. I would argue that most whites who have thought about it have figured it out on their own before they make the argument.
I don't think not making the argument means they've figured it out on their own. I think it means that people think things but don't always say them.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Shut up.

lol
Old 06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL @ Dr. Phil and Senusret I. Y'all actually made me chuckle. Thanks for that - I nominate you two for co-winners at life today.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Shut up.

lol