GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 664
0 members and 664 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: Learning BGLO chants and steps beforehand is...
...a good idea if you know you're going to do it. Just keep it to yourself! 2 18.18%
...cheating, and disrespectful (elaborate on the disrespect) 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Learn What You Can Now= Good Idea?

Point me in the right direction if it's been asked...

I plan to join the lovely BGLO of XYZ .
Of course, one should know the history, but I wanted to know if it would be acceptable for me to learn the chants, steps, etc. beforehand. I've seen a lot of the chants online, and confirmed their continued use with the chapter. I love to be a step ahead of what I can be.

I wonder, if I do, would I have to act as if I do not know them during MIP, and claim to be a fast learner, or should I bide my time.

Let me thank you for your lack of ignorance and rudeness in answering beforehand.

Last edited by JustThinking; 06-24-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Message a bit...much.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
oh dear.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
If you're so confident, why not simply state the organization you plan to join?
I can foreshadow the response after this:

Why? Firstly, I am still humbled by the organization. I would not insult them by fronting them as easy to join. Yes, I know I DID, but I'm sure I still have * <---- that star's size amount of sense to know that I would reverse my assuredness if I said the org name. Know that you have a 25% chance of being right about whatever you may think it is .

What do you think?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

This should be good...

Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
This should be good...
I'm a connoisseur of dramatic issues... I hope this is pleasing to you.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

If you say so.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hehe, I knew we would get an interesting thread out of this one when she told MysticCat to "chill"

Food for thought: don't learn chants, etc. of an organization THAT YOU DON'T BELONG TO (and likely will not ever belong to with such an attitude)
Old 06-24-2009, 06:16 PM

This can't be for real.

...and you guys have got to stop coming up with the good stuff when I'm in class/running errands/etc!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This can't be for real.

...and you guys have got to stop coming up with the good stuff when I'm in class/running errands/etc!
This is the stuff I sit around thinking about...
when I'm in class... running errands... etc.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Hehe, I knew we would get an interesting thread out of this one when she told MysticCat to "chill"

Food for thought: don't learn chants, etc. of an organization THAT YOU DON'T BELONG TO (and likely will not ever belong to with such an attitude)

1) I am a proud OES member with a family of Masons and other EOS members. I have our rituals in advertisements and rap videos, and I though I may shake my head, I settle myself. MysticCat, and others forget that some people get on here and don't swim through posts for suggested rules to enforce/ adhere by. Yes, it is a little foolish to make "WannaB_A_Whatever" as your screen name, but in turn, is biting someone's head off really the best way to guide them to the light? As an Star, I have been asked questions about membership. It seems as if Masons and OES are the only orgs who do not jump on the pedestal and belittle prospective members. This is supposed to be a educational and social site, correct?

2) Thank you for your answer, ignoring the sarcasm and worst-wishes.

Last edited by JustThinking; 06-24-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThinking View Post
1) I am a proud EOS member with a family of Masons and other EOS members. I have our rituals in advertisements and rap videos, and I though I may shake my head, I settle myself. MysticCat, and others forget that some people get on here and don't swim through posts for suggested rules to enforce/ adhere by. Yes, it is a little foolish to make "WannaB_A_Whatever" as your screen name, but in turn, is biting someone's head off really the best way to guide them to the light? As an EOS, I have been asked questions about membership. It seems as if Masons and EOS are the only orgs who do not jump on the pedestal and belittle prospective members. This is supposed to be a educational and social site, correct?

2) Thank you for your answer, ignoring the sarcasm and worst-wishes.
I just can't help but be helpful, despite my reservations...

Here's my issue, saying that you're going to be in an organization is presumptuous and offensive. As a non-member you don't know what this organization looks for in their membership so you cannot determine that you posses those qualities. Discretion and humility go a long way in your situation. People are belittled here for being stupid - you can read posts of humble people with decent questions / people who realize their questions are inappropriate and thank everyone before going back under the radar.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Gusteau:

I won't go deep into this, but I understand. Though I am not "greek," I belong to an organization where people believe they can "get in" without realizing how we do things from the inside. Sadly, most will never be OES, whether they are discrete or not. I know how I said it was inapproriate, but cockiness seems to go a long way on getting replies on these forums as I know you know...

PLEASE USE THE POLLS!

Last edited by JustThinking; 06-24-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I voted for the option that's basically "don't do it."

There are just better things to do with one's time. They could ban stepping and step shows TOMORROW and learning an organization's steps would be for naught, even if you did make it.

No matter how MIP or pledging changes over the years, history is history, and I would never fault someone for wanting to learn it.

But the cultural aspects of BGLOs.... nah, just let that be the "cool" parts of making it, if you make it.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I voted for the option that's basically "don't do it."

There are just better things to do with one's time. They could ban stepping and step shows TOMORROW and learning an organization's steps would be for naught, even if you did make it.

No matter how MIP or pledging changes over the years, history is history, and I would never fault someone for wanting to learn it.

But the cultural aspects of BGLOs.... nah, just let that be the "cool" parts of making it, if you make it.

Thank you!

I always delight in your insight to people. I'm happy to have you invested in this discussion. Honestly, it is the LAST thing I want to participate in. I would love for strolling/stepping to die tomorrow . I don't think I'd be too good at it, either (another reason I wished to pre-learn; I shall heed your advice). I am enamored in the history and legacy of BLGOs, esp. this one, but Black history in general.
Like you said, learning history for the sake of learning, is the key to life...
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome.