GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 964
1 members and 963 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by TKE209Sweethrt
You guys won't believe this!! You know on my "links" page on the website I have the respective sites of the other GLO's on campus? Well, supposedly "they" are upset that I did that! I did that to be nice, I mean, c'mon! I have -nothing- against them (even though I should for some but I've gotten over that) yet silly things like this comes up.
No comment.

Quote:
Oh, another thing, my good buddy said that she thinks our name is copyrighted and/or a National. I'm thinking that when she seen the "copyright" deal on one of the pages she thought it was the -name- that was copyrighted, however, the copyrighted material is the content of the site, not the name itself. It's owned by Indiana University (btw, this is w/the Asian Interest KGD, not the Pre-Med one) The only thing I could think of that she was mistakenfor was maybe Alpha Gamma Delta or even Kappa Kappa Gamma. *shrugs*
Never heard of it. I think it would only matter if your name was the same as an NPC sorority since you want to affiliate with one, but it's not, so I wouldn't worry.

Quote:
Also, I was told that we can not use any other local name that is used at some other university. I'm throughly confused by that one, mostly because I really don't see the point in that being a major obstacle. If I have time today I'm going to speak w/the Student Life advisor and see what's all going on.
That's not true. If you go on the local sororities website that's been talked about a lot on here, you'll see that there are quite a few locals at different schools with the same names.

I think you're fine--keep going!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Small update

Well, now we have to go to student service and have a meeting w/them....there's nothing in the University bylaws about that..but..ehh.

I'll add more later..it's been a tiring 2 weeks..
Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Some bad news..

Well..have some bad news...one of our girls dropped out. Or atleast told -me- she dropped. However, she told another girl she just wanted off the website and that another girl wants off the site as well but wants to stay w/KGD. I'm confused.

Basically these "mystery people" are causing me too much damn trouble! These "mystery people" are all pissed off and approaching my girls about this and how we'll never get through. What is really ticking me off is no one is telling ME. Why is it everyone can complain to the "underlings" but they never want to go to the boss??? Freakin' wimps

Once again people are getting scared that they will piss off other groups. I've taken MANY precautions not to tick off anyone, yet, it's going to happen no matter what I or anyone else does.

Another thing, we've decided to wait until spring semester to approach AGC formally, we wish to strengthen our bond and to gain more girls. Plus I figure the weak ones will work themselves out, heh, I guess this is when I get -really- bitchy, lol

Sorry about this very unorganized mess that I call a post..my mind is going in too many directions at this moment
Old 08-29-2003, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm Kayla. You do seem to be getting a raw deal.

Firstly, the ongoing dirty tricks campaign seems to be at the root of your present difficulties. Much like the situation that airline company in Britain - Virgin had. With, British Airways even going up to people queuing for them and telling them how bad the flights were or how *they* could get them cheaper deals etc. Anyway, being companies they took BA to court and it was really bad publicity for BA lol. Obviously court isn't gonna happen here! But Kayla... I do suggest you tackle this clear and present danger head on .

Firstly, the wanting off the website thing. What is it they have a problem with, their photo or their name being on there period? I'd try to find out - call round everyone/text them/set up an anonymous internet poll, whatever. Once you know WHAT's bothering them specifically and WHY, you can start to deal with it.
It's not worth losing members over . Even if you like you can temporarily just while you're looking into this change the sister page to a blank one with a bar across it saying 'this page is presently offline for operational reasons' or whatever, until it's sorted. As a future idea it might be a thought to have a tickbox on the signup forms for the sorority; where they consent for their likeness to be used on publicity for the group? It may even be just their names - if what I'm guessing is true, whomever is causing trouble is finding out who involved in your group from the site, and then approaching them?

If you don't mind me saying, I do think the dirty tricks smear campaign is worth tackling, soon. My suggestion to you... well actually a few, you can take out anything useful .
Write an open letter to the Chapter President - of every group org on campus. Make it polite but not timid. Be careful with the phrasing, you don't want to come across as too accusing or emotional. Perhaps along the lines of, 'I have learnt recently that some of the greeks at University of Rio Grande may have been approaching members and prospective members of Kappa Gamma Delta and spreading misinformation, or indicating our group is not a group which is going to go anywhere or one worth considering. It is always hard to pin down such matters of course, I felt contacting each of you would be the most fair and reasonable way of tackling this, since it is naturally hard to see specifically where the problem lies. As a new and aspiring sorority we want to work with you, not against you. As President I can assure you that our group bears no ill will toward another. Joint socials, inter-greek events are all something we hope to someday play a part in. Our wish is for all our groups to co-exist happily, perhaps someday with a little friendly rivalry! But we cannot do that if there is bad feeling amonst us. A strong greek spirit is as important to each of the sisters of KGD as I am sure it is to all of you. Presently this is between ourselves I hope we can keep it that way. In closing, I hope we can sort this out happily soon. In unity, Kayla lastname, President, blahetc....

...Hmm, that was worded poorly, but you get the idea?
If that doesn't help... speak to the university agc or whoever, it is possible they have come across this position before and can advise and if necessary even intervene swiftly. Esp. if they're national sororities I doubt their nationals would approve. But it'd be *much* easier ad better to tackle it at a local level to avoid getting a bad reputation - and even better if you can sort it out between the groups yourselves.

I was in a bit of a rush typing as I need to go out, so apologies if my comments above seem the most useless inane words ever! .

I hope it all works out soon .
Old 08-29-2003, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
As a future idea it might be a thought to have a tickbox on the signup forms for the sorority; where they consent for their likeness to be used on publicity for the group?
This really is a good idea. I think my sorority was told that in order for our webmaster to put members' pictures on our website, each member pictured has to sign a paper formally consenting to the use of her picture, etc.

Quote:
Write an open letter to the Chapter President - of every group org on campus. Make it polite but not timid...

If that doesn't help... speak to the university agc or whoever, it is possible they have come across this position before and can advise and if necessary even intervene swiftly. Esp. if they're national sororities I doubt their nationals would approve. But it'd be *much* easier ad better to tackle it at a local level to avoid getting a bad reputation - and even better if you can sort it out between the groups yourselves.
I would normally tell people to do the same thing. I'm not sure it would help in this case, since the mentality of the groups she's dealing with is reminiscent of MTV's Sorority Life (I don't mean to insult, but that's just the impression I got--I used to visit URG all the time because Ex-AchtungBoy went there). None of the other sororities are national, and I think that's where the problem lies...they're scared KGD might succeed at becoming national and steal their thunder. But anyway, I think it's worth a shot, at least...there's nothing really to lose by trying.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Richard & Dana,
Here's the funny thing, when I told everybody of the website, everyone was really cool w/it giving me pics and all. Plus everyone thought the "sisters" pages was an awesome idea. Basically the only problem to arise from this is "L". But, I'm really not that upset anymore, I was told by a trusted friend that this will be her 2nd time in doing this to a sorority and there's a 3rd coming up of what I could tell in observing. So, nothing really lost in this one.

And another thing...it's getting kinda funny that people are being "approached" yet when I ask any of my girls nothing has ever been said to them, only one! Oh yeah, and "every sorority is just sooooooooo pissed at us" Puleeze. I stopped believing that crap a long time ago. I know of 2 that have been aiding us along the way just pointing things out and etc. Plus, if these people are just so pissed at us (especially me, whoduhthunkit) why hasn't anything been said to me?? Or emailed??When I have been approached it's been out of curiousity and to see if we were truely legit but nothing more. *shrugs*

Maybe one day I'll have letters probably when I'm an AI at 80, Kayla
Old 08-30-2003, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

kayla,
i am so sorry these people are giving you such a hard time. maybe you should reconsider approaching agc this semester. maybe if you get recognized in the fall, then all of the crap will cool off. granted, i am not there and i don't know campus climate, but it sounds a lot like people are trying to force you to give up!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
maybe you should reconsider approaching agc this semester. maybe if you get recognized in the fall, then all of the crap will cool off.
I agree. The longer you wait, the harder it's going to be. I think if you were a recognized group, things might get a little smoother. Of course it's up to you--if you don't feel KGD is ready for that yet, then by all means wait until you think the time is right.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Kayla,

I got your email - the info was so lifesavingly helpful. I *heart* you so much right now!!
Quote:
Maybe one day I'll have letters probably when I'm an AI at 80, Kayla
Have you learnt nothing from GreekChat?! When you are initiated into one NPC group - which you SHALL be because KKG WILL succeed - you cannot then join another, not even years later or as an AI. So there

And this 'L' person... I should go sort her out! I might have a lil problem with getting a baseball bat through customs Heh, read Machiavelli's The Prince and crush her

AchtungBaby80's last comment makes sense too, as Pres. you'll know what'll be in the best interests of the group.

Last edited by decadence; 08-31-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quit thing, we disbanded this morning. Sorry. Thanks for everyones support.

But...if want to see some funny stuff fo the website and click on "view entries" on the guestbook. They're saying we (Lyndi and I) were blackballed..umm..no...I quit and turned in my pin w/in the first week, Lyndi quit during the fifth week..heh. Yeah, we're "BBB"'s (Black Ball B*tchs) See the mentality we had to work with?? Oye!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I read the guestbook, and I'm speechless.

Where to start, where to start...first of all, I can say that I have zero respect for that particular sorority. None whatsoever. I said they were jealous, and I stand by what I said before. That is a perfect example of someone who "doesn't know how to be Greek." I could say something to the effect of that group just being a pathetic wannabe, but I won't. Using her sorority's traditions? I'm sure you weren't because the stuff on your webpage didn't sound much like anything I know about the other Rio sororities, but what if you were? Big deal!

And as for the part about you all being "BBB"s and rejects and whatever, that was just low. I don't care who you are, that's just not cool to say things like that. My dad was blackballed from a fraternity once, but that doesn't mean he was a loser...he just joined another (local) one. That's crazy. Why don't we gather up a big bunch of people and cart off their precious picnic table? Seriously, I just think they had it in for you because they were afraid you all would become something they could never, ever be. This whole thing is just really sad. I'm sorry, Kayla.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's another funny thing...

They had sent me an e-mail being very cordial and respectful in the beginning. But, of course, they turned kinda rude at the end. I sent the ringleader an e-mail and even told her that their new table looks really cute, I mean c'mon..

Ehh..I'm really tempted to shut down the site but just have a page w/just those "posts" on it..heh. I used to have a lot of respect for those ladies, even though what happened to me hurt a lot, I grew up. *shrugs* I have a feeling I know who made those posts anyway..heh. Oh..yeah..the "we don't know how to be greek"..yeah..and you guys just loooooooove to have underground pledges... heck..we had an underground when I went through. Yeah..ps..my pledge class was originally 5 then dwindled down to 1? Let's think here...
Old 09-04-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Why quit, though? If you all were really able to colonize a national eventually, would that not frost their balls like nothing else?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy A shame

I am also speechless at what I read there today. I would say it is only one person or two - but I think from what I have read about your trials and tribulations on greekchat over time ... that the attitude this person (or persons) has permeates the whole of that sorority she claims to be from; like a cancer.

I was sad to hear of your disbandment - I know it can not have been an easy decision to make. In a sense, you have disbanded the group and the die is cast but perhaps as others have said - phoenix-like, things could still arise from the ashes. I understand, however, only you and the sisters of KGD could reach the decision made and respect your decision if this is truly where it all ends.

I do not know the reasons for folding the group and it is not my business to ask. But I hope the other so-called sororities treatment did not have too much to do with it; such people as posted on the guestbook and made those past comments would never have been the target market for a group with such noble and admirable ideals of yours. Nor would the members past or present of those groups be the ones who would or could benefit from having you as a sister.

Kayla, if this is where Kappa Gamma Delta ends - today, then although it is sad, congratulations for sailing them through the last few months and gracefully making the difficult decision you reached and acted upon this morning.

decadence
Old 09-04-2003, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I personally decided to gracefully bow out, I've been so stressed over this it was affecting my health. Erica told me that "it won't be the same without me" therefore she bowed out also. We're all in the process of telling everyone and etc, I'm going to keep all the materials just in case though another group of girls would like to have the chance for an organization such as this.

I have a high tolerance level, but, with such hostilty from ignorant people it's really not worth it. Especially when my girls are getting harassed or becoming sick over this. Karma is a bitch and by gawd I hope it nips them in the ass.

I will rush again this fall...I'm hoping for better results. *shrugs*

-Kayla