GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,390
0 members and 2,390 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2003, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ShaunaF01
With my chapter of Alpha Phi, we used to get a "Rosebuddy" on our Bid Day, however, international made us change the name, so we now get "Ivy Linkers" and then we just have Big Sis/Lil Sis.

There is a fraternity on my campus, that is a regional fraternity. They originated at another school, and at that other school they helped to found a regional sorority, so the girls take Lil Bro's and the guys take Lil Sis' which I think is awesome. They have a really tight relationship!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2004, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter operates similar to axotiger's. Our new members receive a Carnation sister on Bid Day and then a Mystagogue at our 1st degree. The also have an Alpha, Chi, and Omega sis, one each week. After that four weeks they get their Big sister. The mystagogue is normally a junior or senior who acts as a "temporary big". They make sure that the NM understand the history and stuff and is there to answer questions about the sisterhood and to make sure that the Alpha, Chi, and Omega sisters are doing their jobs. (Sending them gifts, eating with them, taking them to social and sisterhood events, introducing them to other sisters, etc) My mystagee my junior year ended up becoming my little and my mystagee my senior year ended up being my grandlittle. Funny how things work out!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
My last chapter, we called them Moms & Daughters, and my new chapter has Bigs & Littles.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:21 AM

When my chapter was setting up our big/little program, we were told we could use pretty much any terminology we wanted EXCEPT big and little or mom and daughter (because that would imply a superiority/inferiority relationship).

We did the following:

On bid day you got an Alpha sister. Usually, for formal recruitment, this was whoever preffed you.

About a week later, you got an Epsilon sister. Usually this was someone you didn't know as well, to mix things up a bit.

One or two weeks later, you got a Phi sister, alternatively called a Pearl sister. This was your big. New members and sisters each made lists of people they'd like to be paired with, and the new member educator paired them up as best she could.

Officially we used this terminology, but unofficially we sometimes used the terms "big" and "little".
Old 11-14-2004, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
My chapter calls them Bigs/Littles or Active/pledge. Unlike some chapters, we get ours within the first week of pledging. During that week we get "hints" left in our little mailboxes at the house, and we're supposed to take a stab at who it is. Then there's a cute little activity to find out who your big is. Your big then presents you with all the stuff you'll need for pledging (hawaiian shirt, cute little gifts, family hand-me-downs). It's so cool. My big was awesome. I had to miss the big/little activity due to a rowing event. But I got to do a separate activity with the two other girls who didn't get theirs that night. We then have our bigs for all of pledging and they are our bigs forever. Our family trees are a HUGE source of pride, theres' a little rivalry about the biggest tree. But most of us are "related" because the trees branch out in crazy directions.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:54 PM

Your first week in the chapter, you receive a Pearl Pal. You have Pearl Pal week with little gifts (candy, picture frames). At the end of the week your Pearl Pal is revealed. Their job is to guide you and be your buddy until you get your big.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-14-2004 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kallima
My chapter of Sigma Kappa has heart sisters, pearl sisters and big/little sisters. On bid day each girl gets a heart sister (like a pre-big sister person) and a pearl sister (but this is kept secret until whenever the pearl sis feels like revealing herself- which in some cases was years later if ever ) and then half way through pledging the girls mutually select big/little pairs.
Sometimes girls have unofficial adopted big/little sisters. Me for example. My big sister stopped talking to me once she found out I was friends with a sister she was fighting with. Officially she is still my big, but I was adopted by the girl she didn't like. I think its sad when things happen that way, but sometimes you can't avoid it I guess.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Our EO is really pushing hard for the usage of "Diamond Sisters" as opposed to Big/Little sisters. I never completely understood why until we did a form of that on GreekChat. It really is about being equals, with each Diamond bringing something new to the table. This has been a hard edict for some chapters to accept, but in the long run, I can now see the wisdom and purpose behind it.

When I was an active, we were given Pearl Pals (usually our Pref sponsor) prior to Big/Little sisters, Secret Sisters during Friendship Week, and Alumna Pi Pals during our pledging.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shima-Mizu
We have key sisters for Kappa...

As for APO it's just big's and little's...
Old 11-15-2004, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We got a Secret Big on Bid Day, then out Big Sisters, I think we had an Anchor during out Second semester after pledging (we were pearls), and the semester you graduated you got a Rose Buddy (usually a younger sister to help keep you in the loop after grad). The Big Sis/Little sis was how we traced lines, and family trees.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

What about when your group starts a colony? Do you still have a Big Sis or is she called by a different name? I'm assuming she'd be a local alum.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have my little from my chapter, then AST nat'l asked alumnae who were willing to volunteer to be bigs for our colonies (we have like 6 or so) and so now i have a new little in Kansas. Its been fun. I feel bad I live so far away, but it is better than not having one.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by epi_girl
What about when your group starts a colony? Do you still have a Big Sis or is she called by a different name? I'm assuming she'd be a local alum.
In Tri Sigma's newest colony, instead of bigs and littles, the girls are paired up as Twins. Each girl selects another girl they would want. They give each other anonmymous gifts and clues all week. At the end of the week their twin pairings are revealed. This is how all our colonies have done in the past.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a founding sister of my chapter and instead of Big/Littles, we took twins. The semester we were colonizing, the education committee put everyone's name in a hat and matched everyone randomly. I liked the randomness of it because it forced me to get closer to someone that I didn't know previously, but I was also paired with a senior (I was a sophomore), so it was a little awkward at times. But my twin and I got along great and now I have a niece, grandniece, and great-grandniece, as well as a little and grandlittle.