GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,585
2 members and 2,583 guests
FSUZeta

Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, you did. And then you went on to be kind of condescending to her. Speaking of quitting while you're ahead.

Seriously, if you (everyone you) can't step out of your national bubble, just don't pay attention to any posts from anyone in a local. I'm sorry but I've seen this attitude time and time again on GC over the years and I'm just really sick and tired of it. If this girl had been from a chapter of a national and said she got accused of hazing unfairly, I doubt there would have been an automatic pile on.
She didn't actually say it was unfair, she just put scare quotes around the word hazing. She, in fact, specifically said they had to change their practices. Which means *ta da* they were doing some things that counted as hazing.

I get being frustrated, I just think you've picked a pretty awful time to white knight for locals. Being a local doesn't mean you get to haze. It doesn't mean that your org's definition of hazing is the same as national orgs, but it does mean you have to follow school policy. When someone says "Thank god we're still recognized" then they're NOT adhering to that. Everything she said sounded like they were only changing because they either got caught or just barely squeaked by.

I do not, and never will think that locals are inherently less than a national orgs, but I don't think they should get a free pass either.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry 33girl, but I think we're just going to have to respectufully agree to disagree. I gave a suggestion that I know National GLOs and Locals both use as a way to educate their new members or pledges, and you can bet I'm going to tack my opinion onto that. To use the same line people use all the time on GC "You came and asked for advice. You got advice. Don't complain if you don't like it." It applies to everyone. I can understand your frustration with what you've experienced with what you see as a pile-on to Locals on here, but I've never been a part of that. It's up to the OP to take the advice or not. It has nothing to do with being a national versus a local, and has everything to do with what her college defines as hazing. If she wants to stay recognized on campus, then she needs to actually implement what they are looking for, and that doesn't mean a more quiet, secret form of "education."

Should add that while I may have been a sister as a pledge (the term was still in use back then), I can empathize with Locals not allowing new members to wear letters. There are Nationals that do the very same thing. (And by that wink, I mean me).

Last edited by IrishLake; 06-07-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Seriously, if you (everyone you) can't step out of your national bubble, just don't pay attention to any posts from anyone in a local. I'm sorry but I've seen this attitude time and time again on GC over the years and I'm just really sick and tired of it. If this girl had been from a chapter of a national and said she got accused of hazing unfairly, I doubt there would have been an automatic pile on.
What in the samhell are you talking about? Seriously.

It seems like you're the only one with the axe to grind. The rest of us were talking about pledging and hazing. Period. You are assuming way too much and that reflects on you more than on us.

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-07-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
When you say "national," it seems like you're talking about national GLOs in councils/conferences that have very strict member education/pledging policies (e.g. NPC, NPHC). Do Theta Nu Xi and Alpha Phi Omega fit your definition?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
When you say "national," it seems like you're talking about national GLOs in councils/conferences that have very strict member education/pledging policies (e.g. NPC, NPHC). Do Theta Nu Xi and Alpha Phi Omega fit your definition?
As I know nothing about Theta Nu Xi's pledging process, I have no idea if it fits my definition.

I'm speaking about social fraternities and sororities, not service based ones.

I know it sounds like I'm pulling this out of my ass and going batshit, but I've just seen it time and time again on GC over the years. The "Sorority Life" show threads were a basic example.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-07-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know it sounds like I'm pulling this out of my ass and going batshit, but I've just seen it time and time again on GC over the years. The "Sorority Life" show threads were a basic example.
Perhaps but it is misplaced in this thread. Go off your rocker when it actually is happening.

LOL @ batshit crazy.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
As I know nothing about Theta Nu Xi's pledging process, I have no idea if it fits my definition.

I'm speaking about social fraternities and sororities, not service based ones.

The reason I asked was because the flexibility we have in developing and executing our intake process is probably similar to the flexibility of a local or any org with no council/conference affiliation. I was going to say that my comments in this thread are based on my risk management experience as a former National Board member dealing with undergraduate intake. In no way do I want to come off as dismissing locals.

HOWEVER, you explained your concern about where it appeared the thread was heading.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Me too.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

I'm still baffled over how anything said in this thread is unique to a Local aside from the "this is a local so you don't have nhq regulations to abide by" acknowledgements.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I'm still baffled over how anything said in this thread is unique to a Local aside from the "this is a local so you don't have nhq regulations to abide by" acknowledgements.
Same here.

And while I've certainly seen the piling on of locals that 33girl describes, I didn't assume there was hazing going on in this case -- or that the OP wanted to continue what might at least be borderline hazing -- because she's in a local; I assumed it from how she described her chapter's situation and what she was looking for.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Same here.

And while I've certainly seen the piling on of locals that 33girl describes, I didn't assume there was hazing going on in this case -- or that the OP wanted to continue what might at least be borderline hazing -- because she's in a local; I assumed it from how she described her chapter's situation and what she was looking for.
Exactly this.