GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,527
0 members and 2,527 guests
No Members online

Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM

Um holy friggin' crap.

I just got my friend's wedding invitation and it says FORMAL DRESS REQUIRED. I have no, and I mean NO, clue as to what to wear. Ideas please???? Does it have to be long?

(Although the thought of all the guys in tuxes is super turbo awesome.)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Um holy friggin' crap.

I just got my friend's wedding invitation and it says FORMAL DRESS REQUIRED. I have no, and I mean NO, clue as to what to wear. Ideas please???? Does it have to be long?

In my experience, formal attire for women has consisted of floor length gowns. Hair is also usually styled in an up-do, although you might be able to get away with wearing it down. If it didn't specify that it was a white tie event, I would go with a gown that is more form fitting as opposed to a big ball gown.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Um holy friggin' crap.

I went to a "formal wedding" once. People dressed nicely, but not as nicely as they might have. Most men wore suits and women wore anything from cocktail to sundresses. One late teen even wore a short white prom style dress. (YAY )

I went to Dillard's and bought an affordable ($100+ change) floor-length blue satin dress and did the up do. My date wore a dark suit and tie. We tried our best, but I think in your case any nice dress will be fine because most people just don't pay attention. If all else fails, ask the bride or her family if you feel comfortable.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Married! Everything was absolutely beautiful.....I can't wait to post pictures when we get back from our honeymoon!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM

YAY!

My random for the day:

Boudoir photography? Yay or nay?

I'm on the "nay" side (filed them under "things the wedding industry is convincing people they NEED to do" and "things I would not want to be somehow distributed to others in the event of a nasty divorce or something"), but I was discussing it with someone today. Wondered if anyone on GC did/is doing them.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
Married! Everything was absolutely beautiful.....I can't wait to post pictures when we get back from our honeymoon!
YEEEAAAA!!!!! CONGRATS!

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Congrats!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

I'm on the "nay" side (filed them under "things the wedding industry is convincing people they NEED to do" and "things I would not want to be somehow distributed to others in the event of a nasty divorce or something"), but I was discussing it with someone today. Wondered if anyone on GC did/is doing them. [/COLOR]
Mixed feelings here.

Nay for the two reasons you mentioned above. However, as an idea, I'm not entirely against them. An old co-worker had them done for a birthday gift for her fiance. She brought the finished book to work (not sure why, major HR violation??!!), but I have to say DAMN she looked AWESOME. I can definitely see why they would be fun.

But yes, I think it's ridiculous to think of these as something you HAVE to do for your wedding. And heaven forbid they fall into the wrong hands.

For the record, I did not do them. There were many other things I preferred to spend my money on! lol
Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Best Wishes on a happily ever after, Kappamd!!

As boudoir photography, I feel that the original concept to tease, not to audition for Penthouse. There's tasteful adult fun and there's skanky, and I have no interest in skanky.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yay! Can't wait to see pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
YAY!

My random for the day:

I'm on the "nay" side (filed them under "things the wedding industry is convincing people they NEED to do" and "things I would not want to be somehow distributed to others in the event of a nasty divorce or something"), but I was discussing it with someone today. Wondered if anyone on GC did/is doing them.
I'm kinda split on this. I think it's tacky to present them to your fiance the day of the wedding; the entire wedding party doesn't need to see you in your finest lingerie. I think they should be something private between you and your SO. I am not planning on doing these before the wedding...it would make an interesting choice for the 1st wedding anniversary gift.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

5 weddings coming up in the next year and a half. Super excited about them all! (Although not super excited about having to book flights for all of them!)

But I have to say, I cannot WAIT until my cousins wedding. It is going to be so pretty! Both her and her mom (my aunt) are extremely creative, artsy people. My mom has always called my Aunt the "Puerto Rican Martha Stewart", lol They just threw a graduation party for my other cousin (sister of the one getting married) and it was a luau theme. I know there was only 30 or so people there but based on the pictures they still went ALL OUT. It looked so cute! My aunt also had a lot to do with the decor for my shower and it was lovely. I cannot imagine how beautiful this wedding is going to be. I'm anxious for next September!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Watching Father of the Bride. While I thought it was hilarious 22 years ago, and it still is, it kind of makes me uncomfortable. Am I the only one who gets that?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Holy client emails after Convention batman!

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite pledge sister got engaged on the 4th. She asked me to be her maid of honor! Super excited!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Question for everyone: on your RSVP cards (or however you had your guests RSVP), how far out from your wedding did you put your RSVP deadline?

I did my deadline a month before the wedding. That gave me time to track people down. My venue didn't need a final number until 5 days before the wedding.

An OPA sister invited me to her wedding, which is going to be in FL. The wedding date is October 12th, but her RSVP deadline date is July 15th. I thought that was quite early myself!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
Question for everyone: on your RSVP cards (or however you had your guests RSVP), how far out from your wedding did you put your RSVP deadline?

I did my deadline a month before the wedding. That gave me time to track people down. My venue didn't need a final number until 5 days before the wedding.

An OPA sister invited me to her wedding, which is going to be in FL. The wedding date is October 12th, but her RSVP deadline date is July 15th. I thought that was quite early myself!
Wow, that seems early!

My RSVP deadline was 3 weeks before. I think we needed to confirm a final number only 3 days before (maybe 5, though?)