GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,066
0 members and 2,066 guests
No Members online

Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Formal Favor Quote?

Hey there, I need a cute quote/song lyric to put on a wine/shot glass or a beer koozie for a formal favor.does anyone have any suggestions?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a formal theme? What is the organization?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

no theme as of yet... Phi Sigma Sigma
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by phitillidie View Post
no theme as of yet... Phi Sigma Sigma
Your advisers will be thrilled.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitillidie View Post
Hey there, I need a cute quote/song lyric to put on a wine/shot glass or a beer koozie for a formal favor.does anyone have any suggestions?

You are a sorority. It is against your policies to feature your organization on a wine/shot glass/beer koozie. It violates your agreement to refrain from wearing letters while drinking. It conveys a very negative image of your organization and all sororities, so it violates sorority standards.

I have a suggestion. Offer a tshirt as a favor. Offer a candle as a favor. Make sure there is no mention of alcohol on your favors, and that your favors do not depict alcoholic consumption.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

^^
I want to High-5 this post so much!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

never said letters were going on it...theres no rules about handing out a glass with a quote on it?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

As an NPC sorority, this is an inappropriate favor. Please don't make your sorority and rest of ours look bad. Your advisers will not approve of this and you should consult with them. Even if your letters are not on it, it violates your standards and sends a very poor message to the community.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM

To just answer the question without all the pearl clutching...

just pick a song as a theme and put the name of the song on the whatever you choose to give as a favor.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Not Here For A Long Time But Here For A Good Time
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

We give glasses away every other year here. In fact our advisors always ask for extras. It is not promoting alcohol if you dont serve alcohol with it. It is not something you can control as far as what goes into the glass,flute, cup after it is gifted. Our advisors, nationals, and campus have all agreed with this train of thought.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I checked - Lambda Chi has not yet joined the NPC, so whatever your fraternity allows has no bearing on what is permissible for Phi Sigma Sigma.

adipiucf has given terrific advice. From a practical standpoint, glasses are HORRIBLE favors because after the formal what do you do with them? I have a whole box of glassware favors that I can't quite make myself throw out, but for which I have no practical use. They either collect dust or take up room.

There are some many really great options for favors nowadays - why not go with something that will be appreciated and enjoyed? Picture frames, t-shirts, sunglasses, blankets - lots and lots of options.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 02-21-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
There are some many really great options for favors nowadays - why not go with something that will be appreciated and enjoyed? Picture frames, t-shirts, sunglasses, blankets - lots and lots of options.
Small coolers, hoodies, beach towels, flip flops, water bottle, fanny pack, could be unisex.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I checked - Lambda Chi has not yet joined the NPC, so whatever your fraternity allows has no bearing on what is permissible for Phi Sigma Sigma.

Of course we arent on any NPC listing you looked, we guys have certain parts that prevent us from joining. And no it isnt the glasses. SWTX even sorority members from your NPC give out glasses here on campus. You cant give shot glasses of course but as a student you will use that glass through out, after you graduate you may try to distance yourself from your greek letter glasses but what is the point in that? My mother still uses her DG cups from her time so I still have yet to see your point.

Once again you are not legally bound to what is placed in the cup if it is presented in a manner that does not promote the consumption of alcohol. I see your point if it was made to look like a red solo cup or made a comment about drinking or drug usage I would totally agree with you that it is a bad idea.

But it is an easy unisex favor for a PFD or Formal. If it was a sisterhood event then I would suggest blankets or brotherhood event towels (love the towel we got) but for cost and ease of distribution the consensus is glasses.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambdaChiLife View Post
Of course we arent on any NPC listing you looked, we guys have certain parts that prevent us from joining. And no it isnt the glasses. SWTX even sorority members from your NPC give out glasses here on campus. You cant give shot glasses of course but as a student you will use that glass through out, after you graduate you may try to distance yourself from your greek letter glasses but what is the point in that? My mother still uses her DG cups from her time so I still have yet to see your point.

Once again you are not legally bound to what is placed in the cup if it is presented in a manner that does not promote the consumption of alcohol. I see your point if it was made to look like a red solo cup or made a comment about drinking or drug usage I would totally agree with you that it is a bad idea.

But it is an easy unisex favor for a PFD or Formal. If it was a sisterhood event then I would suggest blankets or brotherhood event towels (love the towel we got) but for cost and ease of distribution the consensus is glasses.
Irony - look it up.

Stay in your lane.

This is not a legal issue. It is a question of accepted sorority policies, of which you know nothing. Many women with years of experience as alumnae advisers have answered the op. A fraternity member who has been initiated for less than a year will not be able to advise the op better than all of them.

I've never distanced myself in any way, shape or form from my letters as an alumnae. I often use G Phi B cups - but cups are not the same thing as wine glasses.

Please let me know exactly what type of glass my sisters supposedly gave as favors. I will be quite surprised if they are shot glasses, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

The consensus in this thread is not glasses.

Punctuation and capitalization are your friends.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 02-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.