GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,480
0 members and 1,480 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2016, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment 2017 as a Sophomore Transfer?

I was supposed to be attending U of A this fall and planned on going through recruitment. This summer I ended up breaking my left leg completely in half on a family trip to Mexico and required surgery. After a few days on my own in college, I quickly figured out that taking care of myself and getting around with one leg and crutches was not as easy as I thought it'd be. I was struggling with things such as carrying my own food and couldn't even do simple things such as shower or get in my own bed...not to mention walk! My mom and I decided that I will move back home until my leg totally heals and attend community college in the meantime. I really want to focus on my grades so I can possibly attend an even better University than before once my leg heals. I really really REALLY want to go through recruitment at whatever college I end up choosing, but I'm nervous that I would have more trouble as a sophomore transferring in from community college. Would anyone be able to give me any advice or insight on this? I would be so open to any suggestions or advice anyone has for me, it is something I am super nervous about. I'm scared I will end up having a harder time rushing as a sophomore especially after transferring from a community college.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

At most schools rushing as a sophomore isn't the end of the world although you might get cut a little harder than you might have as a freshman. But none of that matters right now. #1-health #2-education then further down the list is social life. Yes on great grades but also be involved this year as that is also very important. Then when you're ready you can deal with rush at your new school. No need to worry about that right now.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
At most schools rushing as a sophomore isn't the end of the world although you might get cut a little harder than you might have as a freshman. But none of that matters right now. #1-health #2-education then further down the list is social life. Yes on great grades but also be involved this year as that is also very important. Then when you're ready you can deal with rush at your new school. No need to worry about that right now.
I know and that's what I am afraid of, what scares me is that due to health issues, I'm afraid me rushing as a sophomore will make that impossible

Last edited by dancingprincess; 08-15-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Top tier? You lost me. What you should want is lifelong friends, leadership, fun, etc. If all you want is to be better than other people then you're on your own. I have no idea how to consult someone in how to be shallow.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry you feel that way it is not in any way what I meant or intended, but I also never said that was the reason I even wanted to rush. I want to rush for lifelong friends, amazing business connections, and a chance at leadership and helping communities through philanthropy. I am aware that I will be cut harder, I'm just scared of being given less of an opportunity with most of the houses due to my age and the fact that I went to a community college.

Last edited by dancingprincess; 08-15-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Your best bet for finding a sorority home is to go in with an open mind and an open heart. You will be at a disadvantage coming in as a sophomore. Setting you sights for top tier is not practical, even for freshmen. The odds for top tier are not in your favor. The odds of receiving a bid to a sorority increase with your willingness to give all groups a chance.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are you worried about what other people think about any given group??? You really need to divest yourself of that idea. What you should be concerned about is finding YOUR home - not someone else's idea of what that should be.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Which UofA?

Arizona? Arkansas? Alabama? Akron? Alaska?

Lots of UofAs
Old 08-15-2016, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Why are you worried about what other people think about any given group??? You really need to divest yourself of that idea. What you should be concerned about is finding YOUR home - not someone else's idea of what that should be.
You are totally right, and that 100% IS what I want out of a sorority. It's just scary and kills me to think that because of my unlucky trip (no pun intended) to Mexico, it might be a little more difficult for me during recruitment and to be accepted and to openly be able to find my home. Does that make any sense?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

You are wise to stay home to recover.

I fractured my leg a few weeks after arriving at school and it was incredibly difficult to get around (to classes, to get food, even to shower) and on top of all the demands of school and student life activities I also had to find time for physical therapy so I could have a proper recovery. I figured I'd be done in a few weeks but I spent 9 months rehabbing and in retrospect it would have been better done at home, not five hours away from my family.

Recruitment will be there next year. Concentrate on getting back into your best health and doing what you can to advance academically.