GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,409
0 members and 1,409 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment stories are fun and an awesome way for girls to learn what not to do before doing it themselves. It doesn't matter if the story is fresh or older because dumb emotional self-centered decision making never really goes out of style.

Cant you just go read something else?

Last edited by ConfettiCupcake; 08-23-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2015, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the OP needs a new sock ... ohso"un"happy
Old 08-23-2015, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfettiCupcake View Post
dumb emotional self-centered decision making never really goes out of style.

Cant you just go read something else?
^^^ this ... this ... this ^^^
Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
I think the OP needs a new sock ... ohso"un"happy
Oh so twatty

Sorry y'all, I've regressed to junior high.

If you have a dick to pick with carnation send her a pm instead of being the GC equivalent of the projectile pooping hippo.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I've been seeing posts and mail from our national that "sorority women aren't rude; that's just a stereotype we have to fight".

Guess they haven't been here.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I admit it does get annoying to sift through threads from 2005 and 2008 among the newer ones, but it's also fairly easy to click through and figure out what's fresh and new and what's not.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Have I stumbled into Greek Rank by mistake?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Not my lane, but OP, what were you thinking? That you could show up on a board which has been in continuous operation for around 15 years now and give our mods advice on how to run their forums?

How insulting.

This isn't even close to my lane, but you ought to think before you post.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-25-2015, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
Can I suggest there be a new Recruitment Stories section for each year? It is really annoying when this page keeps popping up OLD recruitment story threads. And, PEOPLE, all these "retro" stories are lame. And, can we have a definition of what a "story" is? Just stating which groups someone goes back to each day using a coded name system on a mystery campus is just useless and a waste of everyone's time. If you want to tell a story, then add some details like what happened each day, how you felt, etc. This page has seriously become frustrating.

Example of bad recruitment story.(just imagine this spread out over 3-5 days)

"Hi! I'm Patty PNM and I'm going to Mystery U. There are 5 sororities which I will name Blue, Black, Red, Orange, and Yellow.

I got invited back to Blue, Black and Red for the 2nd round. I ranked them Blue and Black. Then I got Black and Red for Preference. I ranked them Black and Red. I got Red. Now, I'm a [INSERT ACTUAL SORORITY]."

That is BORING and a super big waste of time. If you don't want to actually tell a story, then please don't post.

I know I'm a bitch for saying these things. But, I know there are other people out there that are feeling the same way. You are just too nice to say it. You can thank me privately.

-- Anonymous Alumnae from Silent Sorority
Quote:
anonymity is not the issue. The issue is posting something that says NOTHING. Also, I am not going to post my recruitment story because it isn't current and would be yet another example of something annoying.
Quote:
You would be shocked if you knew who I am. This is a profile I created to speak my mind without attributing it to my national group by which I am known. I am a REGULAR poster in GC and contribute handily. Some of these stories are fun. But, the forum page has got WAY too many stickies and it gets littered with threads that aren't current for the subject. Yes, I'm talking to you 33Girl, Miss Moderator. I haven't got anything up my ass. Just tired of you letting this forum become a cluttered mess. Not as good as it used to be!
Quote:
The lack of current, real-time stories is evidence that there is something wrong. If you could stop circling the wagons, you would see that I'm right. Too many stickies. Too much old stuff clogging up the forum. Too many grannies trying to tell girls what they should or shouldn't say. But, go ahead and tell each other your old and tired rush stories from the 80s. Whatever.
I'm really confused.

It basically sounds like you're mad that PNMs don't come here anymore to tell their recruitment stories. And when they do, some of them aren't keeping you enthralled. To fill the void, people tell their old recruitment stories, and that bothers you more. Is that about it?

I guess you could go to all of the other websites out there and force PNMs to come here to post their super awesome novel-like recruitment stories…?

The first sentence of your first post was a really great suggestion, but it was all downhill from there. Constructive criticism would have been the route to take, but you quickly turned into the deep dark woods of straight up complaining.

Pointing fingers at moderators isn't helping anyone's cause. Why not throw out some suggestions about how to improve the site? Why not ask nicely that stickies are cleaned up? I'm all for pinpointing the reasons why the recruitment stories have dropped off and making an effort to bring more PNMs back to the site for advice, but I don't think anonymously posting a list of complaints and claiming that "everyone in private messages agrees with me" is the way to do it. Whatever happened to pointing out the "bad" and offering up some ideas to fix the problem?

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-25-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

In the interest of "constructive criticism", I have to admit that I have stopped coming back as often to look at this page because of how many old stories there are. The ones where the rush happened like back in 2010 and then people keep commenting in them confuse me. But, I am easily confused at my advanced age. I like the idea of maybe having these old stories moved to a separate thread. That has some merit.

Not sure why PNMs aren't starting as many threads. I also notice that a lot of the threads that get started (not all of them, of course) tend to end up in heartache. PNMs don't finish them and/or they tell the sad story of harsh cuts, disillusionment. That is kinda sad. Maybe its a jinx to post the stories and we should just stop reading them altogether! .... Wait a minute. What am I saying? No, not that! ha ha ha
Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I will admit- I am not a fan of the stories where there is no story. PNM A went to 8 houses for round 1, 4 houses for round 2, and 2 houses for prefer. She got a bid at house Y- it's not really a story at all. But other than that, the retro stories are great, and I absolutely love all of the new codes! It just makes the guessing that much more fun
Old 08-25-2015, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there anything we can do about the spam? I think that people would be more inclined to check GC and post if the spam were filtered more effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoaphi View Post
In the interest of "constructive criticism", I have to admit that I have stopped coming back as often to look at this page because of how many old stories there are. The ones where the rush happened like back in 2010 and then people keep commenting in them confuse me. But, I am easily confused at my advanced age. I like the idea of maybe having these old stories moved to a separate thread. That has some merit.
I think people are bumping old threads/stories to combat the spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Dear Crabby Pants,

Go help someone somewhere. Go do service work. I guarantee it will change your mood. You won't have time to be frustrated about your inability to live vicariously through strangers' lives.

And for the love of Mike, don't be such a keyboard chicken/bully. If you have something to say say it under your user name. Forget the "private message army" making you "right"; that is an unconvincing strategy.

If someone on GC bugs you, you can put them on your ignore list, it's really effective. You're not being held hostage here, you know?
Amen!
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
Is there anything we can do about the spam? I think that people would be more inclined to check GC and post if the spam were filtered more effectively.

I think people are bumping old threads/stories to combat the spam.

Amen!
I agree wholeheartedly to both of these comments. I see a lot of bumping to push spam down.

To me, spam is a little like the whole broken windows theory - you see a lot of spam (or broken windows) on a board (neighborhood), and you think "this place isn't someplace I'm going to want to hang out - it's all probably run down and out-of-date."

I wouldn't be surprised if the spam is keeping pnms and moms away. There are many days when GC doesn't at first glance look like a reputable source of information.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it would also help if we all tried to be as supportive as possible when girls are posting their stories. sometimes they use terminology that isn't right (like "I cut that sorority" when they mean that they put that sorority at the bottom of their rank), but they are new to this and if we want them to feel comfortable sharing we have to put up with some mistakes and just try to help them as much as we can.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Confetti, those of us who are alums of a certain age remember exactly what "cut" means.
Change the terminology all you want, and make it "kinder" but hey, the old school stuff is lurking....still.
(J/K)
Closed Thread