GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,540
3 members and 1,537 guests
oncegreek, PrettyBoy

Old 11-04-2012, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This weekend at the football game, I was asked a lot of questions by a group of PNMs who will be going through recruitment this year. One of the girls is from the east coast and her mother is an alumna of a chapter on campus. Her mother told her she was most likely to get a bid from her chapter during recruitment. I had a very delicate discussion with the daughter that lead to her calling her mom and I chatted with her on the phone. The mother was not aware that she needed to send something in to her chapter to verify the legacy status. I, also, explained to her that her chapter may have close to 100 women going through who are legacies. She is not an active alum and had no idea that she needed to send in a notification form. She got online while she was on the phone with me and located the necessary form. I really liked all of these girls and I hope they fare well in January.

I will be curious to see if the placement rate rises this year with 21 chapters. The registration period is now closed. If the placement rate remains in the area it has been, I wonder if IU will open for expansion again? There are only 5 chapters not currently represented.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

WOW IndianaSigKap! Thank goodness you were able to help out this legacy and her mom. I think that there are lot more misinformed sorority member moms, like the one you spoke with on the phone, out there than we realize.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana's recruitment is brutal. Thank goodness I never have to live through recruitment week again. My daughter ended up pledging a house last year but many of her dorm friends were not so lucky. Five of them went all the way through preference and did not get bids. Four of those pledged Alpha Sigma Alpha this fall. They did not want to go through formal recruitment again. They are very happy with their decision! With regard to legacy status it does not mean much here. My daughter and 6 of her pledge sisters were legacies at other chapters from their mothers and were cut immediately after open house round. My house had over 100 legacies going through and were only taking 39 girls. Luckily my daughter's house allows seniors to live out so as to give more girls opportunity to join.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgreekmom View Post
Luckily my daughter's house allows seniors to live out so as to give more girls opportunity to join.
As am Indiana alumna, I wish that more chapters had senior live out allowances! Each chapter could pledge more girls and give more great girls the opportunity to be Greek. As other posters and I have said many times, IU is the only campus where a small pledge class is a good thing. On most campuses, large pledge classes equal a stronger recruiting chapter.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Indiana's recruitment is brutal. Thank goodness I never have to live through recruitment week again. My daughter ended up pledging a house last year but many of her dorm friends were not so lucky. Five of them went all the way through preference and did not get bids. Four of those pledged Alpha Sigma Alpha this fall. They did not want to go through formal recruitment again. They are very happy with their decision! With regard to legacy status it does not mean much here. My daughter and 6 of her pledge sisters were legacies at other chapters from their mothers and were cut immediately after open house round. My house had over 100 legacies going through and were only taking 39 girls. Luckily my daughter's house allows seniors to live out so as to give more girls opportunity to join.
I am sorry that your daughter was cut from her legacy house, but glad that she was cut early on in the process so that she and the other sororities knew that she was a "free" agent, so to speak. Hopefully other houses will follow your daughter's sorority lead so that more girls can be placed.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Indiana's recruitment is brutal. Thank goodness I never have to live through recruitment week again. My daughter ended up pledging a house last year but many of her dorm friends were not so lucky. Five of them went all the way through preference and did not get bids. Four of those pledged Alpha Sigma Alpha this fall. They did not want to go through formal recruitment again. They are very happy with their decision!
I just hope that they stay happy and they are truly happy rather than just relieved.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I just hope that they stay happy and they are truly happy rather than just relieved.
I haven't walked around the Bloomington campus since ASA was colonized, but when I was there in late August, I did see lots of girls in TPA letters. So going by the assumption that women would not wear letters unless they were happy, I would say that the TPAs are very happy.

I hope the new ASAs feel the same way. now if only they would tell us how many women signed up for recruitment!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes the new ASA's are happy. They were able to obtain leadership roles right away and really want to make a name for ASA on campus!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes the new ASA's are happy. They were able to obtain leadership roles right away and really want to make a name for ASA on campus!
I think if the national organization will continue to support them throughout the year, they have an excellent chance for success! I was on campus in the late 80s/early 90s when three sororities were colonized in a fairly short amount of time and two of the three left campus shortly after colonizing. One of the chapters received little or no support from its national after chartering. I hope both Theta Phi and ASA will continue to receive national support for 2-3 after they charter.

Last weekend on campus I saw a couple of girls wearing ASA letters and I had to do a double take since I am not used to seeing them.