GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,094
0 members and 1,094 guests
No Members online

Old 02-07-2020, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
We had wooden crowns that we had to have signed by each initiated member. In order to get the signature, it forced the pledges to meet with the "actives" as we called them, and really have a conversation with them. Our big sisters would take them crown away at a specific deadline and would decorate the front of the crown as an initiation gift for us. Unfortunately, that is considered hazing now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Back in my day, PKT4Life, we did the same thing with the notebook and the interviews. Unfortunately that is now hazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
My local did a similar thing with notebooks. I can't disclose the specifics, but each pledge was required to speak with each active (e.g. over coffee) to complete the notebook.
FSUZeta, since you mentioned this on a public chat board I'll ask you my question here: Is the old ZTA wooden crown tradition you mention the important From Home Item that Jenna the ZTA had burn in the fire near the end of Jenna's winning Survivor: Brazil tv season?

Since this thread has been hijacked by back-in-the-day traditions, I'll augment shadokat and aephi alum and mention that fraternity brothers would often look to "borrow" decorated sorority sister signature books and require a sorority house (or the woman whose book was taken) to perform skits/songs/chores to have the books returned by the thief. Sometimes the thief would re-decorate the books in a silly fashion, too.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter did not have wooden crowns and i am from WAY back in the day. Our chapter symbol were angels and I know that the UF chapter had zebras as their symbol.
Strawberries were not mentioned, if memory serves.

I will have to check out the Survivor episode.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a pledge is the days of dinosaurs. Pledges had notebooks in which they interviewed the collegiates and kept their pledge class lessons. We also had to do a philanthropy project as a pledge class, plan a party for the collegiates. We had to set the tables for the formal Monday night dinners each week, and answer the phones while the collegiates were in meeting.

We knew our sisters-to-be quite well by the time of initiation and had bonded as a close pledge class group.

DaffyKD
Old 02-08-2020, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
I was a pledge is the days of dinosaurs. Pledges had notebooks in which they interviewed the collegiates and kept their pledge class lessons. We also had to do a philanthropy project as a pledge class, plan a party for the collegiates. We had to set the tables for the formal Monday night dinners each week, and answer the phones while the collegiates were in meeting.

We knew our sisters-to-be quite well by the time of initiation and had bonded as a close pledge class group.

DaffyKD
Outside of the house stuff, we did all the rest. They modified our service project and party expectations because our PC was so small, but we still did those things.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
FSUZeta, since you mentioned this on a public chat board I'll ask you my question here: Is the old ZTA wooden crown tradition you mention the important From Home Item that Jenna the ZTA had burn in the fire near the end of Jenna's winning Survivor: Brazil tv season?

Since this thread has been hijacked by back-in-the-day traditions, I'll augment shadokat and aephi alum and mention that fraternity brothers would often look to "borrow" decorated sorority sister signature books and require a sorority house (or the woman whose book was taken) to perform skits/songs/chores to have the books returned by the thief. Sometimes the thief would re-decorate the books in a silly fashion, too.
I honestly don't know. (I don't/didn't watch survivor). Not all Zeta chapters did the wooden crown thing-a close friend who joined at IU said that her chapter did paddles. UF did have Zebras, we (FSU) had butterflies-they later changed that to a rabbit. I wonder if the strawberry story was brought forward since chapters were choosing random mascots. No matter, I like the strawberries!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

The strawberries are precious!!!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
The strawberries are precious!!!
Thank you! So much has changed since way back in the day. I still set out my "Zeta angels " at Christmas. And...strawberries are good at anytime.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My campus has a similar tradition to what the earlier comments described. Once initiated, every new brother or sister of a fraternity or sorority is given a hoodie with their letters in their colours. It's a nice tradition, and new initiates are super easy to spot in the spring because all they wear is their new letters!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a tall kiosk that the GLOs and other student orgs would paint to advertise events or just their org in general. It was always painted after dark and then you'd have to kind of guard it all night to make sure some other group didn't come paint it after yours was done! It was always a lot of fun to paint it and cool to see your colors/letters up there afterward!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Each sorority at Michigan had Carry In and Carry Out with a fraternity. Right after Bid Day, we would have a selected fraternity carry the new members from the sidewalk into the house. Two brothers would lock arms and make a "chair" between them for each new member to sit on, and carry them into the house one at a time (while actives were chanting). A party at the fraternity house followed.

In the spring, seniors were carried out of the house to the sidewalk in the same fashion. A party at the selected fraternity house followed.

We also tried to "steal" fraternity composites and if you were caught, you were thrown into the shower at the fraternity house. If you were successful, the fraternity had to come and serenade the sorority to get it back. I experienced both scenarios.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Does any campus specifically ask members of greek chapters to wear their badges on Badge Day?

REMINDER: International Badge Day is Monday March 2, 2020
Old 02-26-2020, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We did the stealing of fraternity composites as well...SO FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Each sorority at Michigan had Carry In and Carry Out with a fraternity. Right after Bid Day, we would have a selected fraternity carry the new members from the sidewalk into the house. Two brothers would lock arms and make a "chair" between them for each new member to sit on, and carry them into the house one at a time (while actives were chanting). A party at the fraternity house followed.

In the spring, seniors were carried out of the house to the sidewalk in the same fashion. A party at the selected fraternity house followed.

We also tried to "steal" fraternity composites and if you were caught, you were thrown into the shower at the fraternity house. If you were successful, the fraternity had to come and serenade the sorority to get it back. I experienced both scenarios.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
We had a tall kiosk that the GLOs and other student orgs would paint to advertise events or just their org in general. It was always painted after dark and then you'd have to kind of guard it all night to make sure some other group didn't come paint it after yours was done! It was always a lot of fun to paint it and cool to see your colors/letters up there afterward!
Carnegie Mellon has a fence. Painting the fence is so popular that the school had to replace the old wooden fence - the layers of paint had become so much that the fence couldn't stand. A reinforced concrete fence took its place. We had a blast painting and guarding it!