GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,433
1 members and 1,432 guests
LaneSig

Old 10-30-2004, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Txsurfinwaves
University of North Texas Expansion

We just got word last week at formal chapter that the University of North Texas will be opening for expansion, and the new chapter will be on campus in Fall 2005.

I personally think this is pretty interesting,since we just got our new Sorority Row this year.

All chapters I believe are at quota, and they just raised quota last spring, and our rush numbers are going up.

I'll keep you guys updated as I find out more information.

Sororities at UNT:

ADPi
A-Phi
Chi-O
Kappa
Pi Phi
ZTA

Sororities that have been here in the past:
Kappa Delta
Delta Zeta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta( i believe they were here)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-30-2004, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

That's great news! Keep us posted when you hear who may be presenting. I received my Ph.D. at UNT and I'm nearby in Fort Worth, so I'm especially interested.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the IFC at UNT considering expansion anytime soon? I'll pass the word to our Director of Expansion at Nationals.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 10-31-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: University of North Texas Expansion

Quote:
Originally posted by Txsurfinwaves
Kappa Delta
Delta Zeta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta ( i believe they were here)
Nope, Theta has never been at UNT. We do have a flourishing chapter at UTD (University of Texas at Dallas) though. Maybe one day
Old 10-31-2004, 06:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: University of North Texas Expansion

Quote:
Originally posted by Txsurfinwaves

Kappa Delta
Delta Zeta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta( i believe they were here)

close, they are:
kappa delta
delta zeta
delta gamma
alpha xi delta
delta phi epsilon

and we still have to vote on expansion, but its more than likely going to happen.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 10-31-2004, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPIHottie Send a message via Yahoo to AOPIHottie
The fraternity houses have been up for a bit, but this year some of the sorority houses opened. I know KKG opened, and I believe ADPi is open as well, but I think some of the others didnt get open by the begining of school. I know the other Denton girls on here can clarify better.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

IFC Expansion

Does anyone know if the KA's are ever going to be returning to UNT? If I remember correctly they were on a 5 year suspension but not for sure.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: IFC Expansion

Quote:
Originally posted by Boodleboy322
Does anyone know if the KA's are ever going to be returning to UNT? If I remember correctly they were on a 5 year suspension but not for sure.
You're right about the 5 yr suspension.. not sure if/when they will return to camus though
Old 10-31-2004, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, to answer as many questions as i can:

-IFC just expanded last year with ATO, but we also lost SAE, so who knows

-All the sororities that were moving into sorority row have been there since august, kappa, zeta, adpi, aphi and piphi. chi-o is building a lodge a little bit down the road.

-since we moved out of the KA house the Greek Life office is now setting up operations in it, so who knows if KA even wants to come back. I believe the earliest they would be able to is next fall or spring.

aparently our greek advisor wants to bring 5 sororities on in the next 3-4 years and build another sorority row behind the current one, but i heard that through second-hand sources, so who knows if it's true or not.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
aparently our greek advisor wants to bring 5 sororities on in the next 3-4 years and build another sorority row behind the current one, but i heard that through second-hand sources, so who knows if it's true or not.
that's insane.

our campus doesn't have the numbers to support that kind of rapid expansion.

i was actually really surprised when i heard that they were thinking of expansion, because we just raised total a semester ago... i thought they would at least give it some time to see if that would work out.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, update time since i just got back from panhellenic. our 6 sororities seem to be 3 and 3 for and against expansion, although we haven't had a formal vote and not everyone has gotten their (inter)national officer's opinions on it.

a lot of the groups that are hesitant are such because we just raised total last semester from 70 to 75. BUT, after formal recruitment this year there were women that went bidless, and the chapter sizes are between 80-100.

our greek advisor says she has a ton of women seeking her out both to start a new group and to join the current groups, and since we're all pretty well over total and most of us wouldnt be able to COB in the spring, now she's proposing that we raise total to 90 or 100, "get solid" and then have a group colonize after formal recruitment in the fall.

personally... i dont want total that high, because thats when i feel it starts to get impersonal. i have 80 sisters, and i can remember all their names and whatnot, but i've heard a lot of complaints that its just too big. i'd much rather we leave total where it is and still have a new group in fall. but whatev. im just one person among 500-600 women in the panhellenic community here.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if ya'll have asked the advisor, but has she asked the girls wanting to start a new group on campus why they are interested in starting a new group? (if hypothetically speaking chapters were open to COB in spring)

Is it because they have met with the groups on campus and the groups here didn't meet a need or want? Or because the chapters are at/over total and won't be COB'ing?

I think that would be good to know when considering whether or not to expand/raise total so soon.

Not only that, but to learn what it is that the current groups aren't doing that they could work on to raise more interest not only in their individual chapters, but in the NPC system as well.

p.s. your pm box is full

Last edited by texas*princess; 11-01-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of a colony (not panhell) that no one in group checked out ANY other sororities on campus. When asked why they wanted to start a new sorority, some said because they wanted new letters and colors on campus and others said they thought it would look good on their resume that they started a sorority....
It really makes me wonder how a chapter like that could ever be successful...
Old 11-01-2004, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

i think the reason there's any interest in starting a new group is either there are girls that want to join their legacy group that isnt on campus, or because all of the sororities are so above total that there probably wont be a chance to join one until fall recruitment, unless we raise total.

oh, and aparently the president of the university and many higher up officials of the school are the ones who are most eager to see a growth in the greek community, and our greek advisor is trying to set in motion what they want to see. cool to know that our administration is becoming more tolerant, if not excited about the greek organizations.

Last edited by lyrica9; 11-01-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
oh, and aparently the president of the university and many higher up officials of the school are the ones who are most eager to see a growth in the greek community, and our greek advisor is trying to set in motion what they want to see. cool to know that our administration is becoming more tolerant, if not excited about the greek organizations.
honestly, i think the administration is for it for a few reasons:
* get more students involved in extracurricular activities
* see a tad more school spirit and student involvement in school-related functions that greeks participate in (intramurals, attendance at football games, participation in homecoming festivities, etc)
* they want more than anything to have that "big school" atmosphere of UT-Austin / A&M / Tech (this has been pretty obvious in everything they do since I transferred here 2.5 yrs ago)
*more $$ for them - if we expand enough to build another sorority row behind the one we have right now, that means they get more $$ from the chapters housed there b/c it's their land, and their structures.

I could be completely wrong, but aren't the fraternities on our campus housed on their own land and paid for their own houses? That's something the sororities don't do.. we're on the school property and the school contracted to have the houses built... while each sorority had to pay for the "insides" of the house, the school got the money for the actual structures.

ETA: rereading this post of mine made me feel it was a little negative. I think it would be great to expand the sorority system, because it would add a wealth of things to the university, but I just don't think doing it that quickly is the way to go about it. Thats just my personal opinion though. We only raised total a semester ago, and I think instead of bringing on 4 more sororities in the next few years without waiting to see if the system will be stable would be a disaster. In addition to just raising total a semester ago, we lost a sorority chapter a few years ago as well (3 years ago? lyrica can probably correct me if I'm wrong).

=so= I didn't mean to sound all negative, but sadly, the negative reasons are more than likely true.

Last edited by texas*princess; 11-02-2004 at 09:31 AM.