GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,621
0 members and 1,621 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2014, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
Don't get me started on Teach for America.
Oh, I know, it's absurd, I was just saying that I didn't think your description of OleMiss was meant as anything except some info on how your state works.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2014, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
I've spent the past 24 hours amused by the Pink Sequin Panty Hose thread. I'm not a regular on GC, because since finding it in 2008, I only ever sign back in as the next fall semester is beginning. I don't have an interesting "retro" story to tell, but I have (this past year) begun to think about FUTURE recruitments.

What would this be? An "An-Retro" story? (Like aerobic vs Anaerobic?). Y'all that are good at the ole language arts stuff, help me with the proper grammar.

I'm a math ed professor. That means I teach folks how to teach math. And yes, here at Ole Miss, the majority of my students are future elementary school teachers. And the majority of my students are sorority girls. I like that they look at me and seemingly say, "Well, she was a sorority girl, and she turned out okay."

But earlier today, I was lamenting to a friend that I did not think I personally knew anyone going through rush/recruitment this year. She told me that was not the case.

Okdin ... so I am apparently not as old as I thought I was. I now know that I know twin girls going through rush/recruitment at Alabama this fall! Yay for me ... I am still in the loop, albeit just looking at that loop from the next state over.

I never gave it a thought ... in my younger days, not knowing anyone in rush/recruitment for all those years while my own daughters and the daughters of my friends and family were attending preschool, elementary school, middle school and high school. I began to become enthralled with rush/recruitment again as the daughters of my older friends and family slowly started matriculating. I cannot begin to tell you the thrill I felt when I received the first postcard from an "active" young GLO lady I personally knew ... asking for a donation, of course. (Her mama was the librarian at my daughters' elementary school.)

But as I turn this next corner and have to wait for the GRANDDAUGHTERS (my own, of which I don't have any ... yet ... and those of my friends ... of which there aren't many ... yet), to go through rush/recruitment, I've decided to quit dying my hair and become an, ahem, older alum.

I'm in my fourth month, and I am glad to say that I don't have as much gray hair as I thought I was covering for. Whew. Who would have seen that coming.

How does everyone else handle "An-Retro" rush/recruitment?
I still don't know what the OP is planning to do. I also don't understand what "An-Retro" means.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't get it either, but I decided not to fry any brain cells trying to figure it out. I think it's a non-recruitment story that isn't retro.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Never mind, ladies. I am apparently not as funny as I thought I am.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

After two glasses of wine, this thread is really funny. Thank you all for some Friday evening smiles.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

How about that? The twins pledged Phi Mu!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So let's write a future recruitment story :-)

University of Alpha Centauri, class of 2354.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

2354 ... whew! Let me find a few brain cells that don't have anything to do.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
University of Alpha Centauri, class of 2354.
Hi! I'm a new freshman at UAC, and I'm so looking forward to recruitment!

UAC is a huge campus. We have 31 out of the 42 NPC sororities (including all 26 of the "old-school" sororities, the ones who have been part of NPC since at least 1951), plus two locals. The locals participate fully in NPC recruitment - I've heard that usually locals hold their own recruitments after formal recruitment, but that's not the case at UAC. I've gotten recs to 29 of the NPCs. Also, my aunt joined one of the locals when she was here, so she wrote me a letter of introduction.

I'm a huge fan of late 20th century and early 21st century science fiction, so I'll be coding the sororities with the names of characters from some of my favorite shows.

Mal Reynolds
Zoe Washburne
Hoban "Wash" Washburne
Kaylee Frye
Inara Serra
Jayne Cobb
Shepherd Book
River Tam
Simon Tam
Jack O'Neill
Samantha Carter
Daniel Jackson
Teal'c
Jean-Luc Picard
William Riker
Data
Deanna Troi
Worf
Tasha Yar
Beverly Crusher
Wesley Crusher
Rose Tyler
Donna Noble
Martha Jones
Jack Harkness
Amy Pond
Rory Williams
River Song
Clara Oswald
Buffy Summers
Willow Rosenberg
Xander Harris
Rupert Giles

I met my Sigma Rho Chi today. Her name is Chiana, and she's very sweet, though a bit on the wild side.

Round 1 takes place over three days. We'll be visiting 11 chapters each day for 20 minutes each. Then we have to list our favorite 24 for round 2, and rank-order the other 9 as our alternates in case we're not invited back to all of our top 24. Then, during round 2, we visit 8 chapters a day over 3 days (assuming a full schedule). Ugh, this is exhausting! But I hope that, when all is said and done, I'll end up joining an awesome group of sisters. From what I know about each chapter, I can't go wrong - they're all amazing!

(Who wants to write the next installment? )
Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Mal Reynolds
Zoe Washburne
Hoban "Wash" Washburne
Kaylee Frye
Inara Serra
Jayne Cobb
Shepherd Book
River Tam
Simon Tam
As with every time I'm reminded of Firefly, first I got excited! Then I got sad.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a PNM ... and I so hope that I pledge Samantha Carter!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly, I would have suspected fewer sororities in 2345 as a result of consolidation, ie; Kappa: Kappa Gamma/ Delta/ Alpha Theta.

But more makes sense; at least two of the new ones would have started in the early 2200s - cyborgs were first starting to go to college, and felt a lot of anti-cyborg discrimination; hence 01100011 01101000 01101001 00100000 01101100 01100001 01101101 01100010 01100100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01101101 01101001 01100011 01110010 01101111 01101110, or Chi Lambda Omicron was born.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Hi! I'm a new freshman at UAC, and I'm so looking forward to recruitment!

UAC is a huge campus. We have 31 out of the 42 NPC sororities (including all 26 of the "old-school" sororities, the ones who have been part of NPC since at least 1951), plus two locals. The locals participate fully in NPC recruitment - I've heard that usually locals hold their own recruitments after formal recruitment, but that's not the case at UAC. I've gotten recs to 29 of the NPCs. Also, my aunt joined one of the locals when she was here, so she wrote me a letter of introduction.

I'm a huge fan of late 20th century and early 21st century science fiction, so I'll be coding the sororities with the names of characters from some of my favorite shows.

Mal Reynolds
Zoe Washburne
Hoban "Wash" Washburne
Kaylee Frye
Inara Serra
Jayne Cobb
Shepherd Book
River Tam
Simon Tam
Jack O'Neill
Samantha Carter
Daniel Jackson
Teal'c
Jean-Luc Picard
William Riker
Data
Deanna Troi
Worf
Tasha Yar
Beverly Crusher
Wesley Crusher
Rose Tyler
Donna Noble
Martha Jones
Jack Harkness
Amy Pond
Rory Williams
River Song
Clara Oswald
Buffy Summers
Willow Rosenberg
Xander Harris
Rupert Giles

I met my Sigma Rho Chi today. Her name is Chiana, and she's very sweet, though a bit on the wild side.

Round 1 takes place over three days. We'll be visiting 11 chapters each day for 20 minutes each. Then we have to list our favorite 24 for round 2, and rank-order the other 9 as our alternates in case we're not invited back to all of our top 24. Then, during round 2, we visit 8 chapters a day over 3 days (assuming a full schedule). Ugh, this is exhausting! But I hope that, when all is said and done, I'll end up joining an awesome group of sisters. From what I know about each chapter, I can't go wrong - they're all amazing!

(Who wants to write the next installment? )
I heard that Worf and Jean-Luc Picard only take PNM's with perfect 4.0's, and I have a 3.95 because I got a B in droid-building my sophomore year. Does that mean they've already cut me?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I heard that Worf and Jean-Luc Picard only take PNM's with perfect 4.0's, and I have a 3.95 because I got a B in droid-building my sophomore year. Does that mean they've already cut me?
I heard Willow Rosenberg only takes witches. How good at it do I have to be, exactly?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

As we all know, round 2 is done purely with the mind-probe to determine the best fit for you to give you a list of a maximum 15 chapters. Why they make us stand in line outside to enter the room one at a time is beyond me. Couldn't they possibly give us a pre-determined time to be there? But I heard that if you think strongly enough about a particular chapter, the probe will put that one on your list. Does anyone know if this is true? I REALLY want to be a Bleep Blop Bleep!