GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,097
0 members and 1,097 guests
No Members online

Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Symbal
Alleged sexual assault at Phi Kappa Psi house (WVU)

A 20-year-old female was allegedly sexually assaulted on Wednesday morning at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house located on Spruce Street, according to the Morgantown Police Department.

''We have identified the victim, however, we have not questioned her about the incident yet,'' said Morgantown Police 1st Sgt. Harold Sperringer.

The incident is currently being investigated by the Morgantown police, he said.

The incident allegedly took place at about 1 a.m. when the victim and a male friend went to the fraternity house located at 780 North Spruce St., according to the police report.

The victim reported that she was allegedly taken into a private room with four males and was forcibly demanded to perform oral sex on the four men, according to the report.

Allegedly, after several failed attempts to escape, the victim was forced to stay in the room and the four men pulled down her pants.

Patrick Niederriter, Inner Fraternity Council president and WVU student, declined to give any information until Phi Kappa Psi, which he is also a member of, was informed of further details.

Andy Wilkins, president of the fraternity's House Corporation, did not release any information regarding the incident. The fraternity has hired defense attorney Tom Dyer, he said.

''We are cooperating with the investigation. We have not uncovered any significant evidence regarding the incident as of now,'' Dyer said.

The fraternity will also be conducting an internal investigation, he said.

West Virginia University officials are aware of the investigation, said Becky Lofstead, spokeswoman for the University.

''Student Life officials and others are cooperating fully with the Morgantown Police Department's investigation,'' she said.

The victim was allegedly very upset and was very reluctant to provide detailed information, according to the police report.

''(While the case is being investigated) the fraternity has been informed to cease all group activities on and off campus, pending the outcome of the investigation,'' Lofstead said.

brenda.paiz@mail.wvu.edu

http://www.da.wvu.edu/new/show_artic...story_id=26536
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I notice that the fraternity has been suspended, and yet the "victim" is unnamed and "has not been questioned yet."

If it turns out to be a baseless accusation, can we assume she will be charged? If it turns out to be another Duke case, how will the Phi Psis recover their spring semester?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

The media and the law usually accord privacy and secrecy where the victim (or alleged victim) of a sexual assault or rape is concerned.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
I notice that the fraternity has been suspended, and yet the "victim" is unnamed and "has not been questioned yet."

If it turns out to be a baseless accusation, can we assume she will be charged? If it turns out to be another Duke case, how will the Phi Psis recover their spring semester?
Your comment made my jaw hit the floor.
They don't name sexual assault victims. She hasn't been questioned, perhaps because she's still very traumatized. Your subtle accusation disgusts me.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Madam, my comment is not intended to be subtle at all. It is very direct, though I do not wish to offend you. I have watched this type of thing close up from the other side. I have seen lives and careers destroyed on the whim of a false accusation, similar to the Duke case.
When you charactize someone as a "victim" , that word assumes that an assault has in fact taken place. If there is a victim, then there must be a guilty attacker. The accused names are made public, the accuser's name is kept secret. As a practical matter the public does not assume innocence.

Based just on what we see in this brief article about Phi Kappa Psi at West Virginia, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why the fraternity is being punished without any finding of guilt.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The accused names are made public, the accuser's name is kept secret.
Where exactly in that article does it list the names of the 4 accused men?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

You're right. I was speaking in generalities, but you're right.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have watched this type of thing close up from the other side. I have seen lives and careers destroyed on the whim of a false accusation, similar to the Duke case.
And I have seen the side of the victim, when faced with the accusation that she's lying, makes her wish she had never said a thing in the first place so she didn't have to deal with the grief.

Accusations like this are why many victims of sexual assault do not come forward!

Quote:
Based just on what we see in this brief article about Phi Kappa Psi at West Virginia, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why the fraternity is being punished without any finding of guilt.
They haven't been investigated yet. Read the article. The alleged victim hasn't been questioned yet, and the fraternity suspended activities by themselves.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbal View Post
And I have seen the side of the victim, when faced with the accusation that she's lying, makes her wish she had never said a thing in the first place so she didn't have to deal with the grief.

Accusations like this are why many victims of sexual assault do not come forward!

They haven't been investigated yet. Read the article. The alleged victim hasn't been questioned yet, and the fraternity suspended activities by themselves.
That's exactly it. Policy makers have decided that it is more important to create a safe environment for victims of sexual assault and rape to come forward than to accord the accused to confront their accusers in the public eye. There is still a serious social stigma attached to those who report sexual assaults and rapes. Yes, admittedly, some women do make false reports, but the judgment has been made that the court system should be able to sift through the false reports (as happened in the Duke case) while being able to punish those who are truly guilty.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
I don't even know how much I should comment on this...but WVU is my campus and while I don't have a 1st hand account of what happened, I have a very accurate 2nd hand account.

The accusation is not baseless. Some things DID happen.

However...due to the position of the frat in question, their alumni, and the politics on campus I'm going to be very surprised if anything is done to the chapter or anymore information will be released.

I do know that given this situation for any other chapter on campus...they would be gone without a question.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't really think we should change the way the process works, although I do think there should be harsh penalties for false accusations (and sometimes this occurs). Sexual charges against men, contrary to what many would stay, are damning regardless of truth. This isn't the old days where people always side with the males. If you're accused or arrested of a sexual crime, even if dropped, that arrest record can be absolutely life ruining. We had a similar situation at my fraternity (didn't reach the level of a full police investigation), and needless to say the chapter was infuriated. In spite of the commonly held idea that fraternity guys are sexual prowlers, many chapters go out of their way to ensure this kind of stuff doesn't happen and also to avoid situations where accusations like this can arise. Thus, when unfounded allegations arise, it can be very frustrating and damaging.

This isn't to say that the girl here is lying, I'm just saying that poster's comments weren't completely without merit. The best thing to do in situations like this (in my opinion...this is what we did), is to immediately seek the truth. When the cops came to our house and this accusation arose, we went with the police to the hospital, where we told them we'd pay for whatever tests and treatment needed to be performed to find out the legitimacy of her claim. It ended up being false and she recanted, but even if it were true, we'd want to know as soon as possible. We're loyal to each other, but I and all others, to my knowledge, would refuse to harbor someone who did something like this.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
However...due to the position of the frat in question, their alumni, and the politics on campus I'm going to be very surprised if anything is done to the chapter or anymore information will be released.

I do know that given this situation for any other chapter on campus...they would be gone without a question.
This saddens me...so much...you have no idea...
Old 03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
I don't even know how much I should comment on this...but WVU is my campus and while I don't have a 1st hand account of what happened, I have a very accurate 2nd hand account.

The accusation is not baseless. Some things DID happen.

When I heard the accusations I was completely shocked. I was at the Phi Psi house that night this supposedly happened, and I'm just having a really hard time believing it. Those guys are my closest guy friends here, I know 3 of them who are being accused, and it's seriously just really difficult to believe (I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for this.)
There are certain fraternities here that I could DEFINITELY expect this from, and Phi Psi just isn't one of them. They've always been known as just really fun, nice guys. From what I've heard about the situation from first hand accounts, and from the action the girl's sorority has taken (extremely sketchy), I just don't think anything will come of this.
Coramoor makes a good point when he says the politics on this campus will prevent Phi Psi from being kicked off.. having the President of WVU as an alum on the Phi Psi chapter here makes me believe they'll keep them around.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
I don't really think we should change the way the process works, although I do think there should be harsh penalties for false accusations (and sometimes this occurs). Sexual charges against men, contrary to what many would stay, are damning regardless of truth. This isn't the old days where people always side with the males. If you're accused or arrested of a sexual crime, even if dropped, that arrest record can be absolutely life ruining. We had a similar situation at my fraternity (didn't reach the level of a full police investigation), and needless to say the chapter was infuriated. In spite of the commonly held idea that fraternity guys are sexual prowlers, many chapters go out of their way to ensure this kind of stuff doesn't happen and also to avoid situations where accusations like this can arise. Thus, when unfounded allegations arise, it can be very frustrating and damaging.

This isn't to say that the girl here is lying, I'm just saying that poster's comments weren't completely without merit. The best thing to do in situations like this (in my opinion...this is what we did), is to immediately seek the truth. When the cops came to our house and this accusation arose, we went with the police to the hospital, where we told them we'd pay for whatever tests and treatment needed to be performed to find out the legitimacy of her claim. It ended up being false and she recanted, but even if it were true, we'd want to know as soon as possible. We're loyal to each other, but I and all others, to my knowledge, would refuse to harbor someone who did something like this.
Well said. I could not have put it better.

The only thing I would add is that I think the solution to this kind of situation is to have laws in place that require the police to withhold the name of the accused as well until a claim can be fully investigated- with the names of both parties being revealed at the same time at some point in the prosecution process. That of course assumes the accused has not fled or gone into hiding and could thus pose a forseeable public risk.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
The only thing I would add is that I think the solution to this kind of situation is to have laws in place that require the police to withhold the name of the accused as well until a claim can be fully investigated- with the names of both parties being revealed at the same time at some point in the prosecution process. That of course assumes the accused has not fled or gone into hiding and could thus pose a forseeable public risk.
I disagree. It could pan out that a woman WAS assaulted and the man who did it to her was guilty (beyond a reasonable doubt), and was convicted, there are still people out there who would take it upon themselves to harass the victim. A lot of people still subscribe to the notion that she must have brought it on herself (too short of a skirt, drank too much, flirted too much, etc.). I asked many women that I know who have been sexually assaulted their opinion on this. They all described their identities being revealed to the general public as being raped again. The public is rather famous for not leaving well enough alone.