GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,458
1 members and 2,457 guests
No Members online

Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Eleutheria
Fellowship Issues--need advice!

Hey everyone--I'm one of four pledges in the Gamma Sigma chapter at the University of Chicago--just passed my last quiz and am being initiated two weeks from today.

We're a pretty small chapter--only 26 active members right now, and we don't have a VP: Fellowship right now. I'm running for the position next quarter, and will likely be elected as I'll be running unopposed. Our chapter is in great shape in respect to service projects and finances, but our fellowship sucks. We don't all even know everyone's name. What's a way of bolstering enthusiasm, and getting a lot more people involved--and interested in APO? I thought of suggesting that everyone get letter sweatshirts--nobody has them. Any other ideas for Fellowship events? What's been successful at your chapters?

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Having letter shirts (you can get sticked t-shirts, jerseys, hockey shirts, sweat shirts, or even jackets) is something that's fairly common amoung most GLOs, and is a great traditional item that all members should wear. Many chapters present newly initated members with their first letter shirt, usually paid for and presented by their Big Brother/Sister (as the case may be).

Start a new tradition of having everyone get letter shirts, choose a day of the week in which everyone wear them, encourage them being worn at recruitment events, fellowship events, etc.

Also, everyone should know everyones names. Part of most pledge programs are things to get the pledges to met all the members (gather signatures, questions to ask the members, etc)

Fellowship event need not be major. Here are some ideas.

* after meeting 'dinners' (can be at a nearby resteraunt, say a Denny's or the like).

* once a month 'birthday parties' (get together each month to celebrate everyone's birthday in that month. Again, can be something simple).

* bowling event

* pool party (either swimming pool or billiards ). Does a member or an advisor have a pool you could use?

* picnic/cook out at local park

* holiday party (say around thanksgiving before everyone leaves, around xmas, etc)

* dinner & a movie

* end of year awards banquet

Several of the above things can be done following a service project. So you could do a saturday morning service project, followed by a fellowship event. Say you do a service event at a local park, followed by a cook out.

Hope this helps.
Section 71 Chair