GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,214
Threads: 114,827
Welcome to our newest member, MarielTiet
» Online Users: 430
5 members and 425 guests
*winter*, LuvMyPNM, rmonclermc10071, Titchou

Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I "heard" Kappa pledged 63.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
I "heard" Kappa pledged 63.
Thank you
Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Journalist on UT campus covering recruitment

Hi,
I just wanted to update you all that a friend of mine, who is a writer from LA, and who is a native Texan, just finished recruitment coverage. Fortunately, she is pro-Greek and was at UT to cover recruitment for the entire period.
She is an alumna of an NPC group, was Jr. Panhellenic President and Panhellenic President in college. She was also tapped into Rho Lambda (Panhellenic Honorary) and Order of Omega. She was also voted outstanding Greek woman her senior year.
Unfortunately, she didn't receive any communication from Panhellenic for any statistical information after repeated requests. She also received a note from the Greek Life coordinator stating she would not help her either. She even had the police called on her when observing a sorority from a sidewalk, and not obstructing anyone or even speaking to anyone. The police told the girls that she has every right to be on a public sidewalk. This entire treatment of her was quite surprising, considering her credentials, and offer to work with Panhelllenic and the Greek Life office.
She covered all 8 days of recruitment and is completing her article, in part to check out the current state of affairs with the sororities. She will address the 'Big 5'. Rumor is one group has fallen from the 'elite' at this point. I find her to be very fair, and think this will be an entertaining, educational and informative story. I look forward to it. I think it will probably be in a magazine or Huffington Post as a story in a series format.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0830 View Post
Hi,
I just wanted to update you all that a friend of mine, who is a writer from LA, and who is a native Texan, just finished recruitment coverage. Fortunately, she is pro-Greek and was at UT to cover recruitment for the entire period.
She is an alumna of an NPC group, was Jr. Panhellenic President and Panhellenic President in college. She was also tapped into Rho Lambda (Panhellenic Honorary) and Order of Omega. She was also voted outstanding Greek woman her senior year.
Unfortunately, she didn't receive any communication from Panhellenic for any statistical information after repeated requests. She also received a note from the Greek Life coordinator stating she would not help her either. She even had the police called on her when observing a sorority from a sidewalk, and not obstructing anyone or even speaking to anyone. The police told the girls that she has every right to be on a public sidewalk. This entire treatment of her was quite surprising, considering her credentials, and offer to work with Panhelllenic and the Greek Life office.
She covered all 8 days of recruitment and is completing her article, in part to check out the current state of affairs with the sororities. She will address the 'Big 5'. Rumor is one group has fallen from the 'elite' at this point. I find her to be very fair, and think this will be an entertaining, educational and informative story. I look forward to it. I think it will probably be in a magazine or Huffington Post as a story in a series format.
Seriously, a journalist is going to address the "Big 5" and whether one is no longer "elite" and wonders why NPC and the Greek Life adviser didn't roll out the red carpet for her. Maybe common sense didn't come with those credentials.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 09-01-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Seriously, a journalist is going to address the "Big 5" and whether one is no longer "elite" and wonders why NPC and the Greek Life adviser didn't roll out the red carpet for her. Maybe common sense didn't come with those credentials.
Said journalist (and I use the term extremely lightly) also was all over the website that shall not be named using the "comments" section to solicite active members of the UT Greek community to spill the beans on membership selection and other juicy bits. She was asking for "interviews" etc and went on to say she was a member of a "Big 6" (don't even get me started about the term "Big 5") NPC yet was vague at best on whether or not that specific NPC was actually at the University of Texas. I certainly hope that NO media outlet will give an article like this the light of day. It is no shock that I dislike the term "Big 6", but to have anyone announce to the world that ANY chapter at the University of Texas has fallen from grace is cow dung. 95% of the chapters at UT are healthy and strong and every chapter is filled with remarkable women. And people want to know why Texan's support gun laws. Just sayin'
Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I know

Her intention was to cover sorority rush at a large University that had a strong Greek presence. She was directed by an active to read Prudence MacIntosh's article, and was going to check out that aspect of the story. She was on the other site at the recommendation of several students, who said that Greekchat was full of 'old biddies just trying to relive their glory days at college', ahem, me among them, I guess.

I know her heart is in the right place, and she's really attempting to dispel the 'dumb sorority girl' stereotype, promote healthy self-esteem for all the women, and inform the public about the state of sororities in the year 2012. It was meant to be positive about the Greeks. She hears so much that is negative about them in the entertainment industry. She was also tired of hearing me complain about the way Hollywood depicts Greeks. Anyway, she's my friend. I support her attempts, against the criticism and resistance, to do her job.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt about her intentions but if she really did the things reported here then her methods are extremely suspect.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

You will find the below excerpt at wwwdotgreekrankdotcom. These "comments" started weeks ago and I have listed them by comment number. They are in the UT section of that site

Quote:
Comment # 1945

Hi Ladies,
I am writing a magazine article about sorority recruitment at UT 2012. I would love to interview PNMs and actives from as many sororities as possible.*
Anonymity will be respected.*
I am an alumna of an NPC group, a member of Order of Omega and was Panhellenic president while an undergraduate.*
My article will present an honest, and positive view of recruitment at UT today. I will be following the story primarily from Convocation through Bid Day, with some follow-up.
I hope you will contact me at writer2810@gmail.com.*
I will provide my phone number after we connect.*
Thank you for your consideration, and I wish you all the best experience possible!*
Jennifer

Comment # 1947

Actually part of my article will be focused on my experience of each sorority today, in 2012.
I will be presenting an open and honest journalistic view of the recruitment process, the Greek system, and the individual houses at UT.*
The story will be positive toward all the chapters. I believe EVERY sorority has inherent qualities, and excellence within it's membership.*
I hope to have as many varied contributors as possible, including the Panhellenic Officers, Rho Chis, actives, and PNMs.*
I would really appreciate your support and input. Again, it will be confidential.*
Best wishes again for a very successful and FUN recruitment.
Jena

Comment # 1949

I don't blame you for being pessimistic but I am a GLO member and I am not going for a 'bash the Greeks' story.*
Prudence MacIntosh wrote an article for Texas Monthly in 1976 on sorority 'rush' at UT.
My article is different, but hopefully entertaining, enlightening and informative.
Thank you for the contributions that have come in and I am open for more.

Comment *# 1960

Wow, so today it begins!*
First, everyone, I am not a 'rookie' and this article is not 'iffy'. It will be written based on my experience of sorority recruitment 2012 at UT.*
I am a seasoned writer who happens to be a member of Order of Omega and a 'top 6' house.
I have also been a chapter advisor at two top universities.
Although I am from LA, I'm a Texas native. In my family there are Pi Phis, Chi Omegas, Kappas, and Thetas, some from UT.*
I'm on GR because it is an aspect of the story.*
I am aware that some people will always hate on the 'top' sorority, be it Pi Phi or XYZ. I am also aware that some people will always hate on the 'bottom' sorority. This can only be changed from within the person.*
I hope my article is educational, informative, and entertaining. I hope it opens people's hearts and minds towards the Greeks.*
Good Luck to all, and maybe I will meet some of you later.
Jena

Comment # 2002

Well, it has been an interesting story so far. Anyway, to answer your questions. I did communicate with Panhellenic several times, and didn't receive any replies. I also received a letter from Marilyn Russell stating she would not provide any statistical information whatsoever, but wished me well with my efforts this week.*

I will continue the article until completion. Remember, please, I AM NOT THE ENEMY! I was Junior Panhellenic President and Panhellenic President in college. I was a chapter advisor at UCLA and CU, and I am in Order of Omega and Rho Lambda. I know you may not like it, but I am doing my job, and hoping to promote the Greek system. One facet of my article is to let the girls who have been released, know, that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They just didn't fit into a very small segment of our society. Again, my intention is to have an informative, educational, and entertaining story. Like when I had the police called on me today. LOL. Yes, they were the friendliest people that I have encountered yet.

Comment 2004

Thank you to the women whom I interviewed.*

I appreciate your support and encouragement.*

UT Greek, thank you for the encouragement.*

I am beginning to pull everything together and see which direction I want to go, online article, magazine article, etc. Based on my experience, from convocation evening to bid day interviewing parents, and seeing the joy of many and the heart-wrenching tears of the few, the story is positive for the Greek system.*

It will also be entertaining, (the Pi Phis called the police on me) and informative.*

If anyone has any additional communications, you know how to reach me from my post. I'd love to hear your perspective of recruitment 2012, now that it is finished.

Again, best wishes to everyone, PNMs, pledges, actives, and yes, I'm including the Pi Phis, for a continued enriching, and uplifting life experience as a UT Greek.
So there it is for what it's worth.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0830 View Post
Her intention was to cover sorority rush at a large University that had a strong Greek presence. She was directed by an active to read Prudence MacIntosh's article, and was going to check out that aspect of the story. She was on the other site at the recommendation of several students, who said that Greekchat was full of 'old biddies just trying to relive their glory days at college', ahem, me among them, I guess.
Both you and your " journalist friend" are called Jennifer?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

What a super-cool coincidence!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to be very kind here and say that even if she was doing it the way she said I can see where any GA would be suspicous. In this day and time, I would trust her to write a positive article about as much as I trusted this guy from Pakistan named Frank who called and said he was with Miscrosoft and I had a a corrupt version of Windows and needed to give him access to my computer. HA! You are not calling me from a bogus phone number (+253-820308) and getting me to do that!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I have a 'journalist friend' named Jennifer.

Actually, I have 3 friends named Jennifer/Jena/Jensy/Jen.

We grew up in the time of parents choosing the most popular names and so, long, long, ago, we lived in the land of Jennifer and Jason.

So not such a super cool coincidence.

Today, the names du jour seems to be Caitlain and Jeremy. Gratefully, we are out of the Agnes, Myrtle, and Hesperia faze!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I, for one, think that the article sounds like a good read! I hope that it is published. I think that it would be very interesting on many levels. The greek system is not without it's warts, and likely some of those warts will be revealed. Because she is a wonderful example of what a greek woman is, I believe that she will write a fair piece. But, I would not expect her to sugar coat it, either!

The tone of some of you that posted is rather defensive.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Irony. It's my bread and butter.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrtats to SDT for welcoming 63 new members yesterday! I really hope some of the girls here on GC that were released looked in to SDT. It sounds like they had a very sucessful recruitment!